what machine should I get? and where?

rubyroselee

Hi,

I finally got an Rx for a new neb compressor. Now I just don't know which one to get! Does anyone have any recommendations on a small, quiet compressor? I've been using a Pari device that keeps dying me every year, so I need something that's going to last. But I like the portability of a smaller compressor. And anything that is quiet is helpful too (not sure if that exists).
(NEB)
Also, where do you order compressors from? I have never had to get one before brand new (I was always given them), so I'm not sure where to get one. Just a local DME place or somewhere else? And where do you get your neb cups from as well? I have an Rx for some Pari LC's as well. Never had to get those before either (guess I was spoiled!)

:confused:

Thanks!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
There's the devilbiss pulmoaid, which we've used before --- quieter, last longer. In fact we have one we use as a spare that we got from DH's cousin that's an old workhorse circa 1990s. Otherwise, I sprung for a mobilaire (sp) a couple years ago. Big old workhorse that looks like a compressor one would have in their garage. Not very portable, so we still have a pari vios and a Invacare, which we use for travel and stick to the mobilaire for everyday use.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Based on other's recommendaitons here we got the Mobileaire by Invacare. It is a 30 PSI one and was covered by insurance. But I had to find a supplier because our homemed from clinic didn't carry because it couldn't service. Given that it kept wearing out, did you get a script so covered by insurance? If so, I'd start with your clinic's homemed equipment and then call Invacare and find out who carries it. it is big and not portable but awesome for daily use. I'd then spring out of pocket for a smaller one that you use if you travel.
Allegromedical has best prices on nebulizer cups (pari lc plus) when you use a discount. they do 50% off list regularly and sometimes even 60%. It's a .com. They use to carry the mobilair too but no longer. so if not covered by insurance I'd look into on line medical suppliers.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I just went thru all that myself. We had a pari vios that kept dying. We finally discovered that it was not designed for "heavy use," and even twice a day was considered heavy. We replaced it thru a script from our doc indicated we needed 50psi to avoid back flow problems. The 50 psi refers to the psi before the nebi cup is attached which drops the psi down to the 30s or so typically. Our DME came up with one and its a Godsend. Everything nebulizes faster and it's even eliminated the coughing and hoarseness my DS experienced apparently in part was improper nebulizing by the old compressor.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
We bought a Mobilaire Compressor by Invacare a few years ago; love it...It's not quiet but it works great. When we travel I just bring the Pari Vios, since it's lightweight...The Mobilaire is super heavy. We paid for it ourselves out of pocket about $275... If we ran it through insurance it would have cost the same for us out of pocket for some reason cause they jack up the price for the insurance co. The compressor was worth every penny.