What to do with unused meds

athletixbc

For those of you who have read any of my other posts, you will know that I hade a double lung transplant in June of this year. Despite the fact I haven't grown cepacia for over a year, my doctors in British Columbia sent me to Toronto for transplantation in early May. Prior to me leaving, they made sure the British Columbia Pharmacare provided me with a three month supply (the maximum they will provide at one time) of all my medications so that I would have them while I waited for transplant. Because I was transplanted so quickly (only 6 days after being officially listed), I still have all of these meds on hand. Among these meds are four nebulized medications I no longer need.

I have asked the CF Clinic in Toronto if they would take the meds back to give to patients who couldn't afford them, but they said their rules forbid taking back dispensed meds, even if still in the original packages. I'd hate for these meds to go to waste as they are worth close to $25k in my estimation, already paid for by my Pharmacare plan.

A list of the meds I have includes

Two 28-day boxes of Caysten, unopened (168 doses total) Expiry September 2014
One Altera Neb System (eBase and Handset), unopened
Two spare Altera Handsets, unopened
One Altera Handset, used only once in clinic when I did a trial dose.

Almost three full boxes of Pulmozyme, (2 unopened, 3rd box missing two doses)
One box (30 doses) expires May 2014
Remainder (58 doses) expires June 2014

Almost 15 full boxes of Tobramycin (14 full boxes, one box missing two vials) *NOT TOBI*
30 vials Expiry November 2014
70 vials Expiry March 2015
20 vials Expiry May 2015
28 vials Expiry July 2015

119 single doses of Colistin Expiry August 2016

If anyone knows of any programs that take unused meds to dispense to needy families please let me know. I thought about giving them away directly to patients, but I also want to make sure that people don't start taking things without their doctor's knowledge. So, I prefer to donate them to a clinic if possible.

Printer

You might find a nurse at the clinic who would be willing to pass your meds along to other patients on the QT. That worked for me.

Bill

Liza

Perhaps there is a transplant support group with other CF patients that may need or be able to use your unopened meds? Also, Bill's suggestion is an excellent one. You could also let the nurse know of your excess meds and if she knows of someone that could benefit from them, grant her permission to pass along your contact info. This way it keeps the nurse from any potential trouble. It is a shame if you end up having to dispose of this super expensive medication when we know there are those out there that struggle to pay their co-pays or simply can't afford their meds.

CyrilCrodius

Please make sure you disinfect them very well before you pass them along. I'd be worried about cross contamination, especially Cepacia which is a huge deal, even if you haven't cultured it in a long time. I wouldn't take any chance.

SMMC

DO you still have these items?

Hello Matt,

My doctor wants me to be on Cayson and to be using the Alterna nebulizer system. My insurance refuses to cover it. So, if you still have the Alterna and the Alterna hand sets and, the Cayson I could really use them. I live in America and our health care isn't free, we have to pay for everything here. I am on disability and I can't afford to pay for an Alterna or for the Cayson. I would be happy to pay you for shipping. Please email me and let me know,ok? My email is optimist_100@yahoo.com
Thanks!!

For those of you who have read any of my other posts, you will know that I hade a double lung transplant in June of this year. Despite the fact I haven't grown cepacia for over a year, my doctors in British Columbia sent me to Toronto for transplantation in early May. Prior to me leaving, they made sure the British Columbia Pharmacare provided me with a three month supply (the maximum they will provide at one time) of all my medications so that I would have them while I waited for transplant. Because I was transplanted so quickly (only 6 days after being officially listed), I still have all of these meds on hand. Among these meds are four nebulized medications I no longer need.

I have asked the CF Clinic in Toronto if they would take the meds back to give to patients who couldn't afford them, but they said their rules forbid taking back dispensed meds, even if still in the original packages. I'd hate for these meds to go to waste as they are worth close to $25k in my estimation, already paid for by my Pharmacare plan.

A list of the meds I have includes

Two 28-day boxes of Caysten, unopened (168 doses total) Expiry September 2014
One Altera Neb System (eBase and Handset), unopened
Two spare Altera Handsets, unopened
One Altera Handset, used only once in clinic when I did a trial dose.

Almost three full boxes of Pulmozyme, (2 unopened, 3rd box missing two doses)
One box (30 doses) expires May 2014
Remainder (58 doses) expires June 2014

Almost 15 full boxes of Tobramycin (14 full boxes, one box missing two vials) *NOT TOBI*
30 vials Expiry November 2014
70 vials Expiry March 2015
20 vials Expiry May 2015
28 vials Expiry July 2015

119 single doses of Colistin Expiry August 2016

If anyone knows of any programs that take unused meds to dispense to needy families please let me know. I thought about giving them away directly to patients, but I also want to make sure that people don't start taking things without their doctor's knowledge. So, I prefer to donate them to a clinic if possible.