What were your first symptoms?

D

denitsa

Hey there! My daughter's doctor is recommending a CF test. Her only symptom (as far as I know) is a cough that won't go away no matter what we have tried. Could that be the only symptom?

LunaFaith

My first symptom would be my salty sweat and my lack of weight gain. Unfortunately for me those things were classified as something else, my lack of weight gain was attributed to my ADHD, at the time I did not know that my sweat was saltier than normal. It wasn't until High School that I started coughing a lot and producing mucus unfortunately that was chalked up to allergies. In all honesty the only reason I found out that I have CF is because I have scoliosis had a severe 75 degree curve in my spine it was the day of my surgery that the anesthesiologist refuse to put me under because I had fluid on my lungs they sent me to a lung doctor who at first thought I had bronchitis it took a while but finally someone listened and thought to test me for CF unfortunately the doctors only went so far as to tell me I had CF and that was it, and if you don't know anything about mutations and severity looking at CF on WebMD scary as hell. To answer your question my first symptoms were my lack of weight gain as a child and of course my salty skin

justkat24

My first symptom would be my salty sweat and my lack of weight gain. Unfortunately for me those things were classified as something else, my lack of weight gain was attributed to my ADHD, at the time I did not know that my sweat was saltier than normal. It wasn't until High School that I started coughing a lot and producing mucus unfortunately that was chalked up to allergies. In all honesty the only reason I found out that I have CF is because I have scoliosis had a severe 75 degree curve in my spine it was the day of my surgery that the anesthesiologist refuse to put me under because I had fluid on my lungs they sent me to a lung doctor who at first thought I had bronchitis it took a while but finally someone listened and thought to test me for CF unfortunately the doctors only went so far as to tell me I had CF and that was it, and if you don't know anything about mutations and severity looking at CF on WebMD scary as hell. To answer your question my first symptoms were my lack of weight gain as a child and of course my salty skin

wait I need to get off the computer my mom has salty skin without sweating.... And she's 43, But she's fine elsewhere. She has poor weight gain and is really short like under 5ft under 100 lbs. But her youngest niece has it though. I'm her only son though and during her pregnancy she had breathing issues but she has a very very good immune system mainly. Also for me I have had concern whether to bring it up to my doctor since I'm having a lot of lung issues. I had a real weird cough since I was 8. And above 10 I didn't grow like more than an inch and around 15 I actually lost weight had like a 15 bmi for all of my teen years I double up on calories to gain weight basically to be a 20 bmi nowadays. But original issues were kind of similar to what you were saying a cough and not growing and not gaining weight. My mom had the same issue with the weight and height so it was never taken as an issue for me mostly.

fel

Both my sons have CF, not diagnosed until they were 13 and 17. The 17 year old's only symptom was a cough that would not go away.

M

Mom2mouse

My daughter had classic symptoms of failure to thrive (only picked up 1 kg until she was diagnosed at 6 months), also had very oily bm's (but being a first time mum I thought this was normal).

slk317

While my son (14 years old) doesn't have a CF diagnosis, we are currently over two months into CF testing. We originally took him to the ENT because he was sick for the entire month and nothing made sense. He had bronchitis, not too bad but enough he missed some school. Then he was waking up nauseous every day, and some mornings he was throwing up mucus (no food, just mucus). We assumed it was going to be an allergy or sinus issue, but the ENT found nasal polyps, which is apparently not common in "healthy" kids, so he recommended a list of things, including a sweat test. Other than those symptoms I mentioned above, all his past symptoms looking back on it would have all been sinus related. We always assumed he had bad allergies, but he recently had two allergy tests and everything came back negative. The only other thing I've seen that could have been CF related is twice when he was sick he got dehydrated and needed IV fluids in the hospital.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was born with meconium ileus (bowel obstruction). Most of his symptoms were very loose stools and sinus problems. Couple of my friends were diagnosed later in life due to failure to thrive. Another child who has the same mutations as DS was diagnosed because of frequent bouts of bronchiolitis.