When did you know...

nmw0615

Hi all. I'm wondering what your symptoms/life was like just prior to needing sinus surgery. I've thankfully never had to undergo this, but lately I've been wondering if some of my health issues lately have been related to my sinuses.

I've been coughing up small amounts of blood lately, the most being about one mouthful. My team knows about this and we are keeping on top of it. But I've also noticed lately that whenever I blow my nose, it is slightly bloody as well. I've never really had many headaches, but in the past month or so I've had a couple. I do have some polyps in my nose, but my doctor watches those and hasn't said anything about it.

Basically, I'm wondering what everyone else's symptoms were like before sinus surgery and if they are similar to mine at all. I plan on calling my team about this tomorrow, but I also wanted to hear your experiences as well. Thanks!

H

hallmr09

I had my polyps done when I was about 6 because they were getting pretty bad. I remember that I couldn't even breathe out of my nose a majority of the time and was having some real issues with it. I'm 21 now and haven't had it done since. I'm starting to think that I'm in the same boat as you are though, because I continually seem to have some sinus problems.

I never coughed up blood before I needed them done. I recently started to a little and stopped doing my hypertonic saline, and that seemed to stop the bleeding. A bloody nose could also be from your nasal spray or dry weather, so I'm not sure if that's a symptom or not. Mine right now is bloody quite a bit, but it has been winter here.

I'm also interested to see what other people have to say about it.

W

welshwitch

Losing sense of smell, nose constantly stuffed up all the time, headaches, sore throat, feeling run down....the cocktail of sinus symptoms :) What else....a CT scan revealed serious blockage....lots of sneezing, allergies seemed to kick in more too.

Twistofchaos

Indeed frosty dry winter air can be a likely cause of random nosebleeds.
Happens that I wake up with a nose full of blood too or get them randomly during the day.
So recent years I tend to hang wet towels over my radiators when there's dry northern-eastern winter wind here to keep humidity in my house to over 50% (also for my guitars) and it seems to help a bit preventing them so that could be worth a try. Random cheap analog clocks can be found with humidity dials in them and the most basic digital weatherstations can be found for maybe 10 bucks.

Sinussurgery for me at a young age as well because of polyps and headaches. Repeatedly about every two to three years and each time to the point where I absolutely could not breathe through my nose and everything was shut up there.
Till about 10 years ago where my polyps suddenly stopped growing and have not needed it since.
Now things have widened up there and things can be kept clean more easily. Drawback is that it dries out even easier. (And I have an echo when I talk. no I don't. yes you d..
and it disagrees with me? no it doesn't. yes it d..
what )

I'd think about sinus surgery when the polyps get in the way of breathing, can't keep it clean or stuff that comes out looks ugly. Indeed request a CT scan and that will tell a lot.

kmhbeauty

I have had 9 sinus surgeries and I do not get the symptoms you are talking about. Once I did have one eye that was watering constantly. That's really it though. I just have restricted breathing in my nose but I don't really notice it because Im so use to it.

nmw0615

Thanks for your input everyone. I have an appointment next Monday, so hopefully we'll get things figured out then.