When to check blood sugar levels after meal

momofcfprincess

I was wanting to know how long to wait before checking blood sugar levels after a meal?
My 12 year old daughter is newly diagnosed, so we are fairly new to the cfrd and I have been checking it 30 min after. Thanks

momofcfprincess

I was wanting to know how long to wait before checking blood sugar levels after a meal?
My 12 year old daughter is newly diagnosed, so we are fairly new to the cfrd and I have been checking it 30 min after. Thanks

1woodswoman

I was taught to check my blood sugar 2 hrs after meals. I'm also suppose to check it when I wake up & before bed. At first, I was diagnosed w/ Type II, but it was changed to CF related Diabetes. Is anyone else dealing with this?

1woodswoman

I was taught to check my blood sugar 2 hrs after meals. I'm also suppose to check it when I wake up & before bed. At first, I was diagnosed w/ Type II, but it was changed to CF related Diabetes. Is anyone else dealing with this?

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>1woodswoman</b></i> I was taught to check my blood sugar 2 hrs after meals. I'm also suppose to check it when I wake up & before bed. </end quote>
I do this routine also. Check before meals and 2 hrs after meals. I have an insulin pump. Before that, I did shots all the time. I love my pump. I don't think (I could be wrong) they reccomend pumps until you are a little more educated about diabetes/insulin/carb counting.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>1woodswoman</b></i> I was taught to check my blood sugar 2 hrs after meals. I'm also suppose to check it when I wake up & before bed. </end quote>
I do this routine also. Check before meals and 2 hrs after meals. I have an insulin pump. Before that, I did shots all the time. I love my pump. I don't think (I could be wrong) they reccomend pumps until you are a little more educated about diabetes/insulin/carb counting.

D

DebbieS

I was just reading up on this because I also wanted to know when the correct times would be. Studies show that for type 2 diabetes (and I assume CFRD), we're advised to check sugar after 1 hour and then again after 2 hours. After 1 hour, blood sugar should be less than 140. After 2 hours, it should be less than 120.

What's important to discover, however, is when your real spike hits. That's the most dangerous issue for us because it could ultimately lead to all the related problems higher sugar can cause. So it's recommended that we check the first few times, using the same kind of meal (if I remember correctly), after an hour, hour and half, two hours, etc. Some foods make you only peak 3-5 hours later (e.g. pasta). Take note if you're exercising or doing something else to lower your sugar during that testing time. Once you know your peak time (e.g. 65 min after your meal), then you'll know how to check for future meals.

Don't forget that you can't rely on the values you got when you were experiencing a CF exacerbation. Exacerbation and infection and inflammation in your body, as well as a steroid medication, affect your sugar tremendously. So presume your numbers will be different when you're feeling relatively healthy versus when you're under the weather.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debbie- CF, hypothyroid, CFRD

D

DebbieS

I was just reading up on this because I also wanted to know when the correct times would be. Studies show that for type 2 diabetes (and I assume CFRD), we're advised to check sugar after 1 hour and then again after 2 hours. After 1 hour, blood sugar should be less than 140. After 2 hours, it should be less than 120.

What's important to discover, however, is when your real spike hits. That's the most dangerous issue for us because it could ultimately lead to all the related problems higher sugar can cause. So it's recommended that we check the first few times, using the same kind of meal (if I remember correctly), after an hour, hour and half, two hours, etc. Some foods make you only peak 3-5 hours later (e.g. pasta). Take note if you're exercising or doing something else to lower your sugar during that testing time. Once you know your peak time (e.g. 65 min after your meal), then you'll know how to check for future meals.

Don't forget that you can't rely on the values you got when you were experiencing a CF exacerbation. Exacerbation and infection and inflammation in your body, as well as a steroid medication, affect your sugar tremendously. So presume your numbers will be different when you're feeling relatively healthy versus when you're under the weather.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Debbie- CF, hypothyroid, CFRD

imported_Momto2

I used to check it 1 hour post eating for the spike, and 2 hours post eating for the reactive hypoglycemia.
This was not while taking insulin. May be different if you are injecting.

imported_Momto2

I used to check it 1 hour post eating for the spike, and 2 hours post eating for the reactive hypoglycemia.
This was not while taking insulin. May be different if you are injecting.