Whom do they spite?

Mockingbird

There is a lot of frustration on this site lately concerning insensitivity. Not only on the site itself, but also in the world; from those who do not know what they are talking about, and also from those who do know what they are talking about. Now, I am a hypocrite in both cases, especially concerning this site, for I used to be extremely insensitive, and I defended those who were like me, all for my own popularity. Glory be to God, who made me ashamed of my misconduct and turned me from my ways!

I came upon this verse today as I was browsing: " 'Do they spite Me?' declares the Lord. 'Is it not themselves they spite, to their own shame?' " Jeremiah 7:19. Of course, my sins may not have accomplished anything against God, but it certainly can be said that I hurt others. However, more than anything I was indeed spiting myself. Even still, the words of my past are a reproach to me. It is true, the passage, "I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgement. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:36-37. My past sins, although they have been forgiven, remain a source of humility for me, as they should.

I have been given this gift, but what of others, who remain in their arrogance? Some have bravely tried to rebuke them, but were met with attacks on all sides and discouragement. And it is not only those insensitive souls whom we are concerned, but also those who are afflicted by them. As it says, "One sinner destroys much good." Ecclesiastes 9:18, and as Jesus told the pharisees, "You shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in." Matthew 23:13. Or to the lawyers, "You have taken away the key of knowledge; you yourselves did not enter, and you hindered those who were entering." Luke 11:52.

Do not misunderstand me, I am not saying anyone is standing in the way of salvation, but rather I recognize a parallel. For while I was spiting myself with my words, it can indeed be said that I was hurting others; hindering them from entering into the support of this site, while my very words prevented me also from entering in. For in condemning the weaknesses of others, how could I then admit to my own? I could only speak of petty, insignificant weaknesses for which I did not really need support, but I put them on as a show in an attempt to pretend I had, in fact, entered.

The question remains, what are we to do with those who remain in their insensitivity? As it says, "He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, and he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you." Proverbs 9:7-8. If we remain silent, the problem continues, but if we speak, the problem increases! What can we do? On our own, we can do nothing. As it says, "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15:5-6. Furthermore, Paul says, "I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus." 1 Corinthians 5:5. We recognize Paul does not do this through his own power, but through the power of prayer and of Christ, who is the only one who is able to save. We also recognize the destruction of flesh does not necessarily refer to the destruction of the physical body, but rather the destruction of pride and sinfulness, which is accomplished by humility and shame (just as my shame turned me from my own ways).

It is not an easy answer; it is one which requires faith and patience, for we must rely on the Lord and allow Him to work His purpose in His proper time. In another letter, Paul writes, "This command I entrust to you, Timothy, my son, in accordance with the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you fight the good fight, keeping faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and suffered shipwreck in regard to their faith. Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will not be taught to blaspheme. First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time. For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension." 1 Timothy 1:18-20; 2:1-8.

Mockingbird

There is a lot of frustration on this site lately concerning insensitivity. Not only on the site itself, but also in the world; from those who do not know what they are talking about, and also from those who do know what they are talking about. Now, I am a hypocrite in both cases, especially concerning this site, for I used to be extremely insensitive, and I defended those who were like me, all for my own popularity. Glory be to God, who made me ashamed of my misconduct and turned me from my ways!

I came upon this verse today as I was browsing: " 'Do they spite Me?' declares the Lord. 'Is it not themselves they spite, to their own shame?' " Jeremiah 7:19. Of course, my sins may not have accomplished anything against God, but it certainly can be said that I hurt others. However, more than anything I was indeed spiting myself. Even still, the words of my past are a reproach to me. It is true, the passage, "I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgement. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:36-37. My past sins, although they have been forgiven, remain a source of humility for me, as they should.

I have been given this gift, but what of others, who remain in their arrogance? Some have bravely tried to rebuke them, but were met with attacks on all sides and discouragement. And it is not only those insensitive souls whom we are concerned, but also those who are afflicted by them. As it says, "One sinner destroys much good." Ecclesiastes 9:18, and as Jesus told the pharisees, "You shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in." Matthew 23:13. Or to the lawyers, "You have taken away the key of knowledge; you yourselves did not enter, and you hindered those who were entering." Luke 11:52.

Do not misunderstand me, I am not saying anyone is standing in the way of salvation, but rather I recognize a parallel. For while I was spiting myself with my words, it can indeed be said that I was hurting others; hindering them from entering into the support of this site, while my very words prevented me also from entering in. For in condemning the weaknesses of others, how could I then admit to my own? I could only speak of petty, insignificant weaknesses for which I did not really need support, but I put them on as a show in an attempt to pretend I had, in fact, entered.

The question remains, what are we to do with those who remain in their insensitivity? As it says, "He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, and he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you." Proverbs 9:7-8. If we remain silent, the problem continues, but if we speak, the problem increases! What can we do? On our own, we can do nothing. As it says, "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15:5-6. Furthermore, Paul says, "I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus." 1 Corinthians 5:5. We recognize Paul does not do this through his own power, but through the power of prayer and of Christ, who is the only one who is able to save. We also recognize the destruction of flesh does not necessarily refer to the destruction of the physical body, but rather the destruction of pride and sinfulness, which is accomplished by humility and shame (just as my shame turned me from my own ways).

It is not an easy answer; it is one which requires faith and patience, for we must rely on the Lord and allow Him to work His purpose in His proper time. In another letter, Paul writes, "This command I entrust to you, Timothy, my son, in accordance with the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you fight the good fight, keeping faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and suffered shipwreck in regard to their faith. Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will not be taught to blaspheme. First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time. For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension." 1 Timothy 1:18-20; 2:1-8.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird