Why do CFers chose veggies over cake?

pnhuffman

O.k. I have been reading these posts continuously since I found this site.

Why is it that alot of the CF kids and adults would rather eat broccoli than sweets.

When Austin was in the hospital every meal he would order mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and then he would alternate between brocolli and carrots. I would order chicken, steak, wings, cake, cookies , ice cream and other things but he stuck with the mac and cheese and veggies. Oh he also ate pineapples like crazy. The dietary brought him one of the industrial size cans and put it in a sealable bowl and placed it in his fridge one day.

For his birthday we let him pick out a cake and ice cream. We cut the cake and I asked him which peice he wanted and he says to me "Birthday boys dont eat cake"

CFHockeyMom

Yes, it's true, a lot of CFer's prefer fruits and veggies to cake and ice cream. Sean is definitely one of those. Just yesterday we were at B-day party and as usual Sean passed on the cake. Even for his own B-day he doesn't have cake.

Some folks believe it's psychological in that we crave what we shouldn't have. I'm not so sure. Sean has never ever liked caked of any kind or anything chocolate so I'm doubtful it's psychological. Sean would prefer to substitute veggies for fries so we've had to be creative to get those calories in. CFer's still need fruits and veggies so he gets his share but no seconds until he finishes his high fat stuff.

pnhuffman

I dont think its psychological because Austin is only 6 years old and he has been like this ever since he was a toddler. He probably has really only eaten cake twice in his life. Maybe once in a while finger some of the icing but thats it. Even with cookies.

He also has never really ate many chips. But once in awhile he will get pretzels and eat the salt off and then maybe eat the pretzel. And the docotr tells me to give him salty foods and add salt. They go let him eat chips and then I had to explain that he doesnt eat those things.

He used to eat snickers candy bars all the time and now thats once in a great while. He is at a good weight 50 pounds but I worry when he gets a little older. He really doesn't eat a lot of meat either. But some could be because of his age being picky.

His first day of kindergarten the teacher chuckled because he asked for more broccoli at lunch. They go "no one ever ask for more of that."

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS prefers saltier snacks, fresh fruit and veggies to sweets. He's never really liked ice cream, cookies or cake. Last year he finally ate some of his birthday cake, some oatmeal cookies I made -- otherwise he could care less. Oh and he HATES chocolate milk. What kid doesn't like chocolate milk. Sometimes I swear he's an alien.

Went to Macaroni Grill last Fall and he asked for brocolli (raw) instead of fries.

J

juls

Wow! We have just the opposite problem with Taylor. She won't touch vegetables or meat. She loves anything sweet (cake, cookies, ect.). She also loves dairy products. Somedays it seems she lives on cheese, yogurt, milk, peaches and bananas. She wasn't diagnosed until she was three, and I have wondered if she gravitated to the high fat foods because her body was craving it and now it is just what she is used to eating. She is very stubborn and doesn't like to try new foods.

Julie
mom to
Trevor 6, no cf
Taylor 3, cf
Isabella 5 months, cf

JazzysMom

All my life I have not been "big" on sweets. Once in awhile I will get on an Oreo kick or frozen Hershey kisses, but for the most part I would skip desert & have an extra helping of the main course.

wanderlost

I'm like Melissa in that I would rather skip the desserts- cakes, cookies, pies,etc. and have more main course - but, when it comes to candy - like Amy, I can eat a lot of it! I mean candy - not chocolate - sweettarts, airheads, gummi bears, taffy....yum!

Liza

My theory is because they aren't limited or restricted in their diet because we always want to cram as many calories in them as we possibly can.

My girls have never really been ones to eat "junk" food. McDonald's or BK was never a place my kids wanted to eat. They'd have a cupcake or piece of cake or ice cream but that's about it really. Most "normal" kids want sweets like hostess or little debbie's and stuff like that but not my girls. Chips will go stale at out house. Pretzels on the other hand, usually can't keep them around, I think it's the salt.

Again, I think it's partly because they could have it that they didn't want it. The calories you can get with a burger and fries from McDonald's or BK!

Just my theory.

kswitch

i prefer salty to sweet. i kind of thought it was because of salt defficiency. my body always needed salt, so i crave it.

my parents also may have salted my foods more, on doc recomendations, and i just grew to like it.

vmhoward

Garran has a tendancy to want to pass up anything that could possible have any fat content whatsoever. I think he has this kind of six sence and veres away from the foods he needs to gain his weight. I have to sneak the heavy whipping cream and butter into his foods when he is not looking.

Yes I know he need the veggies and he gets plenty, but it would be nice to see him eat something that I cook for him that will actually help his weight gain.

Some people disagree and think that he should have nothing but veggies etc... however, as a Mom to a CF'er and dealing with trying to get him to gain weight for the past 6 years I know that just the veggies just dont cut it.

He does however love meat. will eat tons of steak and roast and chicken.

To be honest with you I have had comments from friends and family about his diet and how I should add more veggies and fruits and less fatty foods, but obviously they just dont know much about CF diets and have never had to watch their child deal with failure to thrive.

As to cake, garran hates cake but will eat icecream like it is going out of style.

JORDYSMOM

Jordan is definitely a carnivore! I can't keep meat in the house-he eats all of the leftovers. Once I came home from work and he had scrambled hamburger meat and was eating it out a bowl with a spoon. Just hambuger meat-crazy huh. He does crave salads though. I think there's something to be said for the suggestion that we crave what our boddies need. I have always craved salt and so have my two oldest boys. We won't turn down ice cream, but cake goes to waste in our house.

thefrogprincess

When you are lacking in a nutrient you will crave food that has that in it. Since CFers have trouble digesting fat soluble vitamins we want fruits and veggies to make up those lacking vitamins. Since most deserts don't have much nutritional value we tend not to want them much.

scarbrough

Hannah eats almost everything..but she really loves green beans & broccoli...so I will make cheese dip or have ranch dressing for her to dip it in.....interesting to hear others liking the same thing!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no... I COOKED the broccoli the other night. Didn't add anything to DS's 'cuz if he finds butter on something he'll refuse to eat it. I just salted his. Anyway, he kept asking "what's on this?". I kept telling him nothing. Turns out he didn't like it because it was cooked. He will only eat raw veggies, with the exception of corn, which really isn't a veggie...

AnD

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>wanderlost</b></i>

I'm like Melissa in that I would rather skip the desserts- cakes, cookies, pies,etc. and have more main course - but, when it comes to candy - like Amy, I can eat a lot of it! I mean candy - not chocolate - sweettarts, airheads, gummi bears, taffy....yum!</end quote>

That's me!!! I am trying to switch to dark chocolate (since it is supposed to be "good for us" lol), but also has fat in it, and doesn't hit my system as fast. *sigh* I adore candy...

ellie12xx

I perfer cakes and sweets and i have cf, but its good cuz i have to eat loadss (im too thin) so it suits me just finee :)