Wisdom teeth extraction

clbrandt

My 17yo CF child needs her wisdom teeth extracted, impacted. She will have IV sedation. My physician says it would be wise to have this done at the CF clinic/hospital rather than at a typical oral surgeon office. Anyone else been through this or have thoughts on what is best?

jshet

My son recently had his out. He has cf, autism, and a bleeding disorder. His was done in the OR at children's hospital where he goes to clinic. I think having it done at the hospital rather than a oral surgeon office is a much safer choice. If there would be any type of complication, the OR is so much more prepared to handle any type of issue. I think it may give you better peace if mind knowing that the procedure is being done in a place that can handle anything. Good luck

W

welshwitch

I think you're making a good choice. I had my wisdom teeth out this past November at a regular dentist and they got infected :( Had to return several days later to get antibiotics. The infected mouth was WAAAAAAY worse than the actual procedure!

jaimers

Super Moderator
i had all 2 of mine out and then a year later the other 2. both were done under IV sedation in the oral surgeon's office. I got "dry socket" with one of the surgeries so just had to get some medicated liquid and teeny-tiny cotton balls to pack the hole while it healed. don't think that was necessarily an indicator of having it done at the oral surgeon's office vs the hospital, just something that can happen. otherwise i was fine. if you feel more comfortable having it done at the cf clinic hospital then definitely do that.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
The concerns I would have deal more with the sedation. Any oral surgeon's office won't do, larger groups will have a qualified nurse/anesthetist. I had my wisdom teeth removed in my late twenties. They forgot to remove the tourniquet before injecting the IV sedative. With my vein bulging with medicine it shot into my blood stream in concentrate when they untied the band. It took about a year for the damage from that little oversight to fully go away.

Last summer my totally healthy niece had hers removed at an oral surgical clinic and it went well. She had a new experience in pain but that worst moment was short, less than a day in the week long recovery.

It has a lot to do with how healthy your daughter is. If you are seeing an oral surgeon who is well qualified and specialized in oral surgery. Granted an oral surgeon does tooth implants which sounds like dentistry but a proper implant often requires a bone graft for a lasting implant and that's surgery.

The reason for having it done in a hospital would be? The emergency facilities and personnel at a hospital setting are there if there are concerns your daughter may need extra help with her recovery but that's about the extent of any real advantage over a dedicated oral surgical facility. Until changes in the last decade with larger dedicated practices emerged like my GI doctor. I used to have colonoscopies done in a hospital and I needed a dedicated anesthesiologist to boot. Now the larger group has their own production set up to do the lion's share of scopes in house.

A mouth won't be any more sanitary at the hospital. Nothing done by the surgeon will be different at either place. I was impressed with the oral surgeon that removed my niece's wisdom teeth. They made sure we felt comfortable calling or returning with any concern, anytime. It should be less expensive and more "normal" to have it done in office. Again her health should weigh heavily in the decision. I'd be sure to use antibiotics and be prepared for the facial swelling to be worse than typical with sinuses swelling almost to breaking the bones of the face. The confined areas of tissue on the head and face makes for some short lived but 20/10 pain. Make certain any pain medication is both strong enough and doesn't easily cause rebound headaches. Be proactive with cold/hot packs.

Sorry she has to suffer,

LL

hellen

I also got a dry socket. It's hurt from the socket to the eye, ears, neck and temple on the same side of the face which has the extraction. I had bad breath and uncomfortable taste in the mouth as well. And I used to get dry socket after getting teeth pulled. Maybe it's reason.
Luckily, I got rid of it quickly thanks to clove. With anesthetic and analgesic qualities that help ease the pain effectively, clove is one of the best natural home remedies for dry socket. You should use this remedy before the pain spreads to the head and causes a lot of discomforts. To quicken the treatment, I applied the clove oil.
Soak a cotton swabin clove oil and then, put over the areas in your mouth affected by dry socket in about one minutes.
Then, use warm water to wash the mouth.
Repeat the treatment several times per day.
Also, tea bags also work. While applying ice cubes or cold water directly on the dry socket might even worsen the situation, the opposite is true of tea bags. They can be placed immediately on the areas affected by dry socket without the help of cloth or cotton ball. The presence of tannic acid which is effective for reducing pain makes it perfect to become one of the most powerful natural home remedies for dry socket.
https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-dry-socket/

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out under general anathesia recommended by the oral surgeon pulling them out. I was 19. He wouldn't have direct assistance at his office if something were to happen there. It was a precaution issue. I was fine with it.