Working from home

VikaMaya

Surely with use of technology and the internet all need in going for telecommute can easily get solved. Try using application relating to remote desktop like Telnet etc.....

VikaMaya

Surely with use of technology and the internet all need in going for telecommute can easily get solved. Try using application relating to remote desktop like Telnet etc.....

VikaMaya

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Work from home fits certain jobs well and work from home fits only certain people. My business made robotic systems for various industries all over the world. My software engineer worked at home most days and had a 70 mile commute on days we tested software updates on actual automation. We even set up an employee to do complicated assembly work when she decided not to return after maternity leave expired. Most businesses now have some work at home employees, you might look for these hybrid companies in addition to all internet or phone based businesses.

Japan recovered from war by perfecting cottage industry. Today you will still find a significant amount of mixed use areas in Tokyo, old and newly built. It probably isn't what you are imagining but every square meter of ground level space seemed dedicated to manufacturing. Looking out the second floor apartment window at some friends, I saw a metal machine shop, printing press operation and a Chinese kitchen all built into car garages. I wouldn't enjoy having a puppy breeder next door but I find the cottage venture very compelling.

This brings up the downside of work at home. Most telephone jobs don't pay what the job is worth. Chances are good the job sucks so bad it scars the psyche of anybody who has feelings. Whether selling, or collecting, these are character building experiences that can cost too much. Insurance and other people oriented jobs by phone can be rewarding and effective work at home.

All these jobs require personalities of self starters. Any work at home is audited in some way. If the job was like a 311 operator, directing people to various govenment entities for help, maybe the quota of calls and satisfaction surveys determine your future employment or amount of pay. When you take on a home job I would recommend discussing it with a parent or trusted friend who will give honest feedback when considering if you have those loner-self starter characteristics, or need people and a team or hierarchy to whet your enthusiasm for the job.

Many compnies employ work at home people. Employers have been inventing incentives to attract talent for a long time. Allowing work at home can be attractive to some, and a perk or benefit. Technology made remote work possible in the '80's and practical with wireless internet and such by the late '90's.

A lot more than low paying phone business can be done at home. Service jobs like talking new customers through technology problems or consulting on an investment portfolio and other professional services pay well and are interesting work. Some pre supposes education or training in other fields like law or finance. Then again training for jobs at home is on the rise. Four of my immediate six neighbors work from home and three received free training. Two are employed by health insurance companies and one couple does contract data analysis. As happy as all this sounds, all but one person sought home employment as a last resort. They all came from well paying jobs or professions.

There is a lot more to work at home than wearing fuzzy slippers. Work places don't come with personal kitchens, entertainment centers with lazyboy recliners and bedrooms not to mention your boss only sees you in the bathroom mirror. Not for everybody.

LL