Working with CF

L

lennonk3

This is my first time ever posting on a forum, but I would really appreciate some advice. I just graduated college with a nursing degree and am looking for a job. I just left my clinic visit in absolute tears. Never once during my college career did any member of my CF team ever give me the impression that I would not be able to work as a nurse, however today they did. I am so confused. I have my first interview coming up; its for my ideal job to start out as a nurse. My doctor told me that I should tell the interviewer, and subsequent interviewers, my health history, but that it might cause them to see me as a risk and not hire me. The job is in adult neuro surgery; I specifically choose this because I believed it would involve less exposure to infectious agents (in comparison to a general med-surg floor in the hospital). What do I do? I am still at a pediatric clinic with the same pulmonologist I had since I was a baby. I was planning to transition, but then I became sick a few months back and it was put on hold. Would the CF team at an adult center be better equipped to help me deal with workplace issues? Does anyone else have experience working with CF in a health care environment? I have no one to talk to about this. I would really appreciate any opinion, comment, etc. Thanks!

Melissa75

Administrator
I am so sorry! So frustrated on your behalf too!! I have non-CF bronchiectasis and I'm seen by a regular pulmonologist, so I don't know what it is like to be followed by a CF team. I was under the impression that a CF team included a bunch of different professionals - including social workers. How can this have flown under the radar of a social worker? Is meeting with the social worker optional? Even then, I would think that visits with your MD might include discussion of your life/lifestyle. When I've met with infectious disease doctors (also allergy and immunology), they asked tons of life, work, travel, and environment questions. Tons!

I hope you get more responses, and that the thread above helps too. I believe I've read of doctors with CF. ...Google "doctor with CF" and you will find several news stories.

One thing to ask your team is for more info. Are they afraid for your health, being in a hospital environment? Are they afraid for the health of your patients, who might be immuno-compromised and vulnerable to pseudo or MRSA from you?

L

lennonk3

Thanks for your answers. I am just surprised by the attitude my CF team had toward something I had worked hard for. They knew I was attending school for nursing and encouraged me throughout my entire college career. My social worker is not very helpful, but I reached out to the social worker at the adult center I plan to transition to, whom I have met previously and am hopeful that she may have some information about how to deal with these new issues surrounding my career. Also, the articles were helpful and reassuring that with the right precautions and planning, other member of the CF community are successful as health care providers!

static

This is my first time ever posting on a forum, but I would really appreciate some advice. I just graduated college with a nursing degree and am looking for a job. I just left my clinic visit in absolute tears. Never once during my college career did any member of my CF team ever give me the impression that I would not be able to work as a nurse, however today they did. I am so confused. I have my first interview coming up; its for my ideal job to start out as a nurse. My doctor told me that I should tell the interviewer, and subsequent interviewers, my health history, but that it might cause them to see me as a risk and not hire me. The job is in adult neuro surgery; I specifically choose this because I believed it would involve less exposure to infectious agents (in comparison to a general med-surg floor in the hospital). What do I do? I am still at a pediatric clinic with the same pulmonologist I had since I was a baby. I was planning to transition, but then I became sick a few months back and it was put on hold. Would the CF team at an adult center be better equipped to help me deal with workplace issues? Does anyone else have experience working with CF in a health care environment? I have no one to talk to about this. I would really appreciate any opinion, comment, etc. Thanks!

First off, congratulations on finishing your degree! You worked hard for it so you should be extremely proud!

I work in the health care field as well, part time. At first I was very secretive about my disease (and still am to most people), but I soon realized it was easier to come forward with my condition to bosses/co-workers than to attempt to make excuses and explain away any aspect of the disease (hospital stays, coughing fits during winter months, any exposure that is off limits, etc). For me it was easier because I was hired with a slew of other people with their own challenges, so I wasn't alone.

That being said discrimination in the workplace is a tricky subject. Most people would tell you to save disclosing your condition for after the interview, that way you can have some legal defense if any appropriate accommodations are not made or you get fired. Still, it's tricky. Proving workplace discrimination is hard, and honestly some jobs we just can't do because we cannot do the essential functions of the job.

If it were me, I would probably mention it in an interview (something I didn't do for my job, but I ended up telling my boss a few days later anyways because I was hospitalized) and see what happens. Maybe try to add it as a positive, as much as CF sucks what has having CF done for you as a person? Are you more empathetic, are you a harder worker, etc. It may be worth a shot.

You can also ask if your clinic has any openings that they know of that you would be a good fit for. Unfortunately, the CF clinics have so many patients sometimes our overall wellness (including goals and aspirations) is ignored in favor of the more practical approach, keeping us as healthy as possible for as long as possible. It makes sense, they have a lot of patients and all those patients are at different levels. That is where the social worker comes in.

Problem is Social workers come and go so quickly (at least at my clinic) because of career advancement/finding higher paying work elsewhere. However, if you can find one that stays (and it may be easier in your situation since you already have your degree and may just need temporary help) then try to meet with him/her and your CF doctor at the same time and see what comes out of it. List all the pros and cons and make your decision that way.

A few months ago some ideas were thrown around about finding employment for people with CF on this forum. I am not sure if that is still being worked on maybe some other members can let us know?

rubyroselee

Hi there,

I graduated with my BSN back in 2004. I remember questioning whether I was making the right decision by going into that profession, but I plugged along anyways. If there were clinicals/rotations that I felt were risky to my health or others, I would tell my preceptor. They were usually very accommodating by giving me appropriate patients. I knew that if I were going to be a nurse, I would have to get a job in a low-risk area. But that proved to be tricky being that most jobs require you to have some sort of med/surg experience. So after I was unable to land a job like that, I eventually went back to school and got my MBA and ended up doing computer applications for hospitals. I help nurses, doctors, and other healthcare professionals with using their EMR systems. Having my nursing background is what helped me land a job like this. I also know another CFer who worked in an endoscopy area, which is quiet safe considering the patients aren't usually sick with any bugs that can harm you. Other CFers have become doctors and scientists. So really, you define your own path and find the area that's right for YOU. You have many options with your degree. So keep your head up and you will find what works for you.

Rossigrl

Well I hope I can be of some help! I have CF and have been a nurse for the past 12 years. My cf doctors never discouraged me from doing so, in fact I have been an Emergency Department nurse for the past 7 years. Now, I wouldn't recommend working in the ER, only b/c it is always of risk of being exposed to something aweful. But my coworkers are very conscientous of my situation and keep those patients out of my section. Also, I am not able to care for anyone with CF, which was my reason for becoming a nurse initially. Your choice of Neurology is perfect!! I tried Neuro my first year, then cardiac for several years and then the ER, with all its craziness! This is where I wanted to be and so far, so good!! I am 36 now and use to work full-time. 12hr shifts. I am now married and husband has great health benefits, so I work per diem shifts now, which allows more time to take care of myself. My lung function was in the low 70's when I started and now is low 50's, but not from anything I caught at work. I have always grown pseudomonas and occassionally MRSA and that has not changed. If anything, it is a great career choice be ause you are so active and it keeps you from bein sedentary at a desk all day. It is all the exercise I need most days and has kept me in great shape. My 30 yr old sister works as a physical therapist in a nursing home and she is doing amazing. Her lung function is in the 80's! Please follow your dream and be smart about your decisions (wear a mask around people with a cough and when you are feeling like an exacerbation is coming on). Do yourself a favor and do your treatments and airway clearance everyday...i wish i had when I was younger. They say nurses make the worst patients!! It is a great job, but not always easy on the body, so take care of yourself and GoodLuck! You will be fine!!! Jen

L

lennonk3

Thanks for the replies, they were all so helpful. I got the job I wanted (yay) in adult neurosurgery and start in two weeks. During the interview, I did not disclose that I had CF; it wasn't the appropriate time given the format of the interview. Should I wait until I am sick or it becomes immediately relevant to disclose my health condition or should I inform my supervisor beforehand? I have been given advise on both sides of the issue, but thought that hearing what other people with CF do would be most helpful. Also note, I am in a program specifically for new nurses and everyone involved seems very nice and they have been very helpful thus far. Still, I am honestly nervous about disclosing that I have CF. In everyday life, I don't really tell people unless they specifically ask because I am a pretty private person. I do have a wicked baseline cough, so people pick up kinda quickly that there is something going on. That said, I welcome any input on what I should do!!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
You should disclose your condition now so that any needed precautions can be taken for you and the patients. If there are limitations based on your condition, the organization will need to provide reasonable accommodations, which you can work with them in determining.

Thanks for the replies, they were all so helpful. I got the job I wanted (yay) in adult neurosurgery and start in two weeks. During the interview, I did not disclose that I had CF; it wasn't the appropriate time given the format of the interview. Should I wait until I am sick or it becomes immediately relevant to disclose my health condition or should I inform my supervisor beforehand? I have been given advise on both sides of the issue, but thought that hearing what other people with CF do would be most helpful. Also note, I am in a program specifically for new nurses and everyone involved seems very nice and they have been very helpful thus far. Still, I am honestly nervous about disclosing that I have CF. In everyday life, I don't really tell people unless they specifically ask because I am a pretty private person. I do have a wicked baseline cough, so people pick up kinda quickly that there is something going on. That said, I welcome any input on what I should do!!

musclemania70

Congratulations! The coughing is going to give you away and people are going to start asking about it.
I would tell your boss as soon as you are one-on-one so that they know what is going on. or you can wait until you need to go in the hospital for antbx because then it might be easier to inform them.
don't be nervous. this is not your fault and you can't do anything about it. be confident in your skills. they are lucky to have you. you have been a patient for a long time and know what it feels like to be on the patient side. you have tremendous value and sympathy.

they are LUCKY to have you. don't be afraid. I would tell them if I were you.

Printer

I don't want you to be my Nurse under any conditions. There is a reason for the 3 foot rule (now the 6 foot rule). If you confide in your superiors, they can then protect you from CF Patients, as well as the other way around. This may sound harsh but you don't want to have me as your patient either.

Good luck on the new career.

Bill

K

kenna2

First of all you should absolutely be congratulated! That's quite an accomplishment! I was diagnosed at 7( now 30) with CF and my doctors from the start told me I shouldn't choose a job in healthcare or the food industry (the cough wouldn't help). I, along with a couple other CF patients I know, do suffer from some type of neurological disorder. I think the reason your doctors are freaking out, might be because of how strict the rules are now of keeping away from other CF patients and germs. I remember being younger and going to Christmas parties hosted for Cystic Fibrosis Patients and families all packed into a room together. A lot has changed. It doesn't excuse the fact that your CF team reacted the way they did, however it might explain it. I wish you all the best!

aslong

I would let them know, now that you have the job. You don't want your supervisor to find out when you are really sick. You can and should wear a mask/protective wear anyway... if they know why then they can support it. You might find that your supervisor can be your best advocate. I know the fear, believe me. I just went into the hospital for the first timein 5 years. I was so nervous to tell my work but, they were so understanding. They knew I had CF but it has not caused a problem or missed work.