workout routines after tx

T

theDUDE

What do your doctors make you do for exercise and how much? what type of stuff are you able to do once you have recovered on your own? is it just like having normal lungs or is it still a little harder? thanks

T

theDUDE

What do your doctors make you do for exercise and how much? what type of stuff are you able to do once you have recovered on your own? is it just like having normal lungs or is it still a little harder? thanks

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

T

theDUDE

F

fr3ak

Just wanna say that the Dr's can't MAKE you do exercise, that is something that you should do on your own accord otherwise why have a tx... It was prolly just your wording, but I wanted to clarify all the same..

Straight after tx you are up walking the very next day, usually just a lap around the ICU...

Within a couple of weeks, once some of your lines are pulled you then take yourself up to the hospital gym and work either a treadmill or stationary bike, for like 10 to 15 minutes

Once you leave the hospital then it is up to you to keep pushing the envelope so to speak....

I was up to working out for 2 hours on either the treadmill, cross trainer or bike...

Last year I got slack so I am into building myself back up again...

The problem after tx is the side effects of your anti rejection pills on your muscles. Building up is slow and tedious as every muscle kills.... You also have to go back to basics once you stop because your muscles are weakened by the pills that keep you alive...

Breathing wise is fine, you have no problem in that department at all but stamia and muscle is where you find it most difficult....

Once you get into a routine it becomes much easier but as I said before once you slack off you gotta start all over again...

That's been my experience anyway!

5 years post tx as of 3 weeks ago!!!!!

F

fr3ak

Just wanna say that the Dr's can't MAKE you do exercise, that is something that you should do on your own accord otherwise why have a tx... It was prolly just your wording, but I wanted to clarify all the same..

Straight after tx you are up walking the very next day, usually just a lap around the ICU...

Within a couple of weeks, once some of your lines are pulled you then take yourself up to the hospital gym and work either a treadmill or stationary bike, for like 10 to 15 minutes

Once you leave the hospital then it is up to you to keep pushing the envelope so to speak....

I was up to working out for 2 hours on either the treadmill, cross trainer or bike...

The problem after tx is the side effects of your anti rejection pills on your muscles. Building up is slow and tedious as every muscle kills.... You also have to go back to basics once you stop because your muscles are weakened by the pills that keep you alive...

Breathing wise is fine, you have no problem in that department at all but stamia and muscle is where you find it most difficult....

Once you get into a routine it becomes much easier but as I said before once you slack off you gotta start all over again...

F

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

F

fr3ak

coltsfan715

I agree with alot of what has already been mentioned.

I will add a few things that have varied from what was said with my experience though.

I know for me personally they wanted me up and moving as fast as possible. They had me out of bed within 12 hours of waking up and being off the vent. I was up and walking around the ICU room - though it is small I was still up. I was disconnected from most tubes and things within a week or just over it. By that time I was doing a type of stationary bike and walking on the treadmill on the transplant floor of the hospital.

I was discharged after 12 days - a Friday - so on day 15 - the following Monday - I was at the hospital for Cardiopulmonary Rehab. I went through rehab for about 3 months. I was limited to some extent for the first 2 months I could not lift anything with my upper body that weighed more than 10 lbs. I did mostly cardio and some lower body weight training.

Once I was discharged from rehab it became MY responsibility to exercise. I tried to maintain about 2 hours every other day - at minimum 1 hour of cardio and about an hour of weights and resistance exercises. My center wants us to build up to and maintain a regimen of 1 hour of cardio (they prefer daily) about 5 times a week.

I agree with the idea that it is not your breathing that will limit you post transplant - it will be your strength and your muscles. I have times where I complain and say this is the first time ever that my legs have quit on me before my lungs. It takes time and IS tedious to build the strength but it is worth it. Just stick to it.

Also if you are at a center ask them what they will recommend. Many centers will have varying opinions I am sure but rehab is something that I think most centers have their patients set up with at least in the immediate short term after transplant.

Take Care
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I will add a few things that have varied from what was said with my experience though.

I know for me personally they wanted me up and moving as fast as possible. They had me out of bed within 12 hours of waking up and being off the vent. I was up and walking around the ICU room - though it is small I was still up. I was disconnected from most tubes and things within a week or just over it. By that time I was doing a type of stationary bike and walking on the treadmill on the transplant floor of the hospital.

I was discharged after 12 days - a Friday - so on day 15 - the following Monday - I was at the hospital for Cardiopulmonary Rehab. I went through rehab for about 3 months. I was limited to some extent for the first 2 months I could not lift anything with my upper body that weighed more than 10 lbs. I did mostly cardio and some lower body weight training.

Once I was discharged from rehab it became MY responsibility to exercise. I tried to maintain about 2 hours every other day - at minimum 1 hour of cardio and about an hour of weights and resistance exercises. My center wants us to build up to and maintain a regimen of 1 hour of cardio (they prefer daily) about 5 times a week.

I agree with the idea that it is not your breathing that will limit you post transplant - it will be your strength and your muscles. I have times where I complain and say this is the first time ever that my legs have quit on me before my lungs. It takes time and IS tedious to build the strength but it is worth it. Just stick to it.

Also if you are at a center ask them what they will recommend. Many centers will have varying opinions I am sure but rehab is something that I think most centers have their patients set up with at least in the immediate short term after transplant.

Take Care
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care
Lindsey

summer732

The sky is the limit after transplant, and yes it does take a lot of self-motivation to get going.

I was also up about 24 hours after my vent was pulled sitting up, walking around the ICU room. When I was moved to the regular floor, most of my tubes were removed. The docs could never find me becuase i was always just walking around the floor (with a mask on of course) but I didn't want to just sit in my room! then I started walking up a flight of stairs or two (with someone behind me of course). I was discharged day 9 after my transplant and day 12 I was in a 3 month rehab program. Lots of resistance bands and bike training. Also again walking up flights of stairs which I feel helped me to get my strength and get my lungs going the most.

I will say that I have slowed down with the exercise once the reality of life set back in. It was very easy for me to work out when I was in college, but I work full time now and sometimes 2 hours in the gym per night just becomes unrealistic.

Little tricks....walk where you can, when you go out park in the spot that is the furthest away from the door, take the stairs v. the escalator/elevator whenever you can.

summer732

The sky is the limit after transplant, and yes it does take a lot of self-motivation to get going.

I was also up about 24 hours after my vent was pulled sitting up, walking around the ICU room. When I was moved to the regular floor, most of my tubes were removed. The docs could never find me becuase i was always just walking around the floor (with a mask on of course) but I didn't want to just sit in my room! then I started walking up a flight of stairs or two (with someone behind me of course). I was discharged day 9 after my transplant and day 12 I was in a 3 month rehab program. Lots of resistance bands and bike training. Also again walking up flights of stairs which I feel helped me to get my strength and get my lungs going the most.

I will say that I have slowed down with the exercise once the reality of life set back in. It was very easy for me to work out when I was in college, but I work full time now and sometimes 2 hours in the gym per night just becomes unrealistic.

Little tricks....walk where you can, when you go out park in the spot that is the furthest away from the door, take the stairs v. the escalator/elevator whenever you can.

summer732

summer732

summer732