Workout vs. What you eat.

RistaGirly

Hey awhile back I had started at the gym and felt it just wasnt for me, but lately I've gained weight, and I know CF'ers are known for having to gain weight, I don't mind the weight, over I'd like to trim up and look fit at that weight, right now I have lumps and bumps on my stomach area and my hips are ginormous, and something I get embarrassed, so I started back up at the gym

For the longest time i was between 115 and 120, steady, no higher or lower than those. And for some reason, I've shot up to 130, and I've stayed, and I'm not happy with how I look.

So after all that being said; I'll mainly be using the treadmill, elliptical, ab cruncher thingy, and some other machines that I haven't gained knowledge about. But I do want to lose what I'm doing to myself by eating how I normally do, which isn't horrible, my mom makes a home cooked dinner everynight.
I'm not big on meat, but I don't really want to go and add up the grocery bill...maybe figure out how to manage everything by using stuff I already have, I don't want to turn into a speciality person.

So, do you work out? How do you counter balance with the food since us Cf'ers are supposed to eat like high everything? Suggestions please!

Thanks in advance!

mag6125

Well you definitely need to maintain your carb intake or increase it because that's where you get most of your energy from. If you're looking to have added weight as lean muscle instead of the extra fluff (as I like to call it) that we gain as CFers you need extra protein because that's what builds muscle. Just some suggestions that I pulled from my nutrition class but I'd really get in touch with your dietician at clinic and/or the physical therapists, between the two of them they can give you the best advice. If I had the energy I'd so take a kick boxing class! haha I think that'd be so much fun and a great workout!

FitForCF

Hey, I know what you mean about the gym. I worked out in a gym for two months and ended up with pneumonia.

Last year I started doing P90X workout and found a HUGE benefite. Because the workout system has 12 disc and each one is it's own, my lung functions have gone up about 15% in a year and I'm 41 years old.
I just became a coach and am going to do my best in help out people with CF. You can go to my website and check it out. If interested get the system and I will help you out where ever I can. Be happy and healthy!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://beachbodycoach.com/FITFORCF
">http://beachbodycoach.com/FITFORCF
</a>

VikaMaya

Well try eating some thing very light as going for work out along with eating most probably isn't preferred. One should go in for a workout with empty stomach......

tesorotiffa

Hey girl! I know how you feel! I used to stay at about 125 through high school and college, and one year I got put in the hospital and started Prednisone and I shot up 15 lbs. in a week and have NEVER been under 135 in the past 10 years. I'm 5'1 so I can only have so much weight on me before it starts to look gross! LOL. I average about 140, but I pull it off pretty well. Most of its boobs..ha. So naturally I have dieted and worked and continue to do so since now I'm on maintenance Prednisone. I pretty much eat mainly veggies and fruits, which luckily I love, and I eat a little meat. I eat chicken a lot, but I'm one of those people who doesn't like dressings or sauces so I take in very little calories via those sorts of foods. I also take kickboxing, do yoga occasionally, and do treadmill or walk/run outside several times a week and with doing that I've noticed that I can eat whatever I want and I don't have that bloated belly look! I don't know what you're eating habits are like, but I always ate a ton of food because I had a huge appetite so portion control was something I had to learn real quick. Anyway, if you have any more questions, just hit me up!

xin

@RistaGirly:

[ I realize this thread is quite old, but it's been dug up so I am replying. ]

IMO, if you want to trim down, weight training is <i>much</i> more important than cardio. The latter burns calories only while you're doing it. The former burns calories while you're doing it, and while your body is recovering.

Not to mention: cardio sucks. Boring, boring, boring. It's very necessary for heart and lung health, but I would honestly rather be watching the horrible "Glee" show with my wife. It's that unpleasant. Once you hit your stride with weight training (expect it to take a couple months of consistent work), it actually turns into a rather fun and uplifting affair.

To answer your question, I weight train three times a week, and I do cardio (ugh) two or three times a week, depending on my mood. I'm tall, lean, and muscular, and I attribute that almost entirely to the weight training. (I'd also add that I am pancreatic sufficient, so it is not CF that is helping me stay lean.)

imported_Momto2

Hey there. As an offshoot, have you had your blood sugar monitored lately? Anyhow, I am 5'2" and had always been around 115, then after kids and a lot pf prednisone, weight went up to 143 (ugh). So I worked out for 2 hours every day (cardio and weights), ate about 4-5 servings of lean protein a day (fish/chicken/turkey), 8-10 serving of veggies and fruit, very few carbs, no sugar, no fat. Lots and lots and lots of water and soy milk. Lost 30 lbs in about 3 months, then another 5 lbs over the next 2 months. Everyone is different though, especially how people respond to CF! Experiment with what you eat, see what works best to give you energy while trimming the calories and building muscle. Dont lose weight too fast, its not good for your body.

imported_Momto2

Hey there. As an offshoot, have you had your blood sugar monitored lately? Anyhow, I am 5'2" and had always been around 115, then after kids and a lot pf prednisone, weight went up to 143 (ugh). So I worked out for 2 hours every day (cardio and weights), ate about 4-5 servings of lean protein a day (fish/chicken/turkey), 8-10 serving of veggies and fruit, very few carbs, no sugar, no fat. Lots and lots and lots of water and soy milk. Lost 30 lbs in about 3 months, then another 5 lbs over the next 2 months. Everyone is different though, especially how people respond to CF! Experiment with what you eat, see what works best to give you energy while trimming the calories and building muscle. Dont lose weight too fast, its not good for your body.

B

Bruce555

I am doing the cardio and abs these days because I am struggling for losing some pounds of my body weight.
After losing 20 pounds I will join the gym to start the weight workouts for the muscles building.
These days I am on raw veggies and protein based foods to get help in fat burning.

RistaGirly

I'm so sorry to everyone. I haven't been on this site in FOREVER. Since I first posted, I think I said I was around 130, now my highest was 162, I recently went down to 153.5..a little happy since the weight got really UP there. UGH.
Still looking to lose as I have not been able to find something I can stick with. As the new year approaches, I will be reaching a goal of mine to start training in running as I want to run the Disney 1/2 Marathon in 2015..so 2014 I will run as much as I can so I know I'll be ok when it comes time. I also bought a few yoga DVD's I'm hoping to start and I've hooked my XBOX back up and I have those dance games and zumba to use with that. We'll see how 2014 treats me. I don't really have any bad eating habits. Everyones suggestions I will look into though, thanks so much and soooo sorry I forgot about this site. Hoping to be more active on here now.

Melissa75

Administrator
As the new year approaches, I will be reaching a goal of mine to start training in running as I want to run the Disney 1/2 Marathon in 2015..

That's a great goal. Best wishes in achieving it! I was at Disney once and there was a marathon going on. It looked really really fun.

If I were you, I'd look for maybe three smaller races during 2014 that you can sign up and train for. It might be satisfying and helpful to have some intermediate steps. My rock climbing partner and I (not runners) have done a mud run and wow, was it fun. Three miles with obstacles like walls, nets, hurdles, streams.

I don't know if you're in the Florida area or you were planning to travel to your Disney race, but here is a link to listings of mud runs, with Florida already selected.
http://www.mudrunguide.com/directory/usa/florida-fl/

mcarthurlena

I just wanted to say how nice it is to have this forum! My doctors have never seen a CF-er that has trouble losing weight. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in this! Lots of great ideas on getting in shape. Thanks!