Yoga

anonymous

A friend of mine who is a fitness instructor suggested I take restorative yoga classes. I am starting them this Friday. Has anyone tried resorative or regular yoga? Anyone have a good or bad outcome?

JazzysMom

I have tried regular yoga & although I definitely stretched muscles that I dont normally, I dont believe I got the full benefit of it. I just didnt get the whole "inner peace" thing while someone is talking (telling me to imagine water, etc). Physically it help to limber me up, but its not anything I would stick with.

anonymous

I have taken both Kripalu and restorative yoga classes and feel like I have benefitted tremendously from both! Restorative is very relaxing, every posture is supported and extremely comfortable. Lots of floor time! I do find a lot of inner peace from yoga and feel like I am much more centered. I have been doing it for about 7 years and can't imagine life without it! I would suggest trying several different classes and teachers before making up your mind about it, classes can vary a lot from teacher to teacher. Good luck and enjoy!Kim 40 w/cf

anonymous

If you don't like weights, which I don't, yoga's a good way to increase strength and help ward off the osteopenia. It even gets you panting -- and not because of the "centered" women in tight outfits. My doc recommended it after a bone scan revealed nothing but sawdust. I think some of the breathing techniques are helpful in our situation as well. Granted, during the sessions I'm generally too conscious of my breathing quirks to even fake inner peace, but I'm convinced I'm in better shape with fewer aches and pains. I guess that's a pretty peaceful feeling.Q

wanderlost

I've been practicing kripalu yoga for about 5 years. I love it. I think the breathing techniques are really helpful. I often do them before I take PFTs to increase my percent and it works (maybe this is cheating, but oh well!). I've been taking classes at the same private studio all this time with mostly the same group of women, so when I cough no one really ever pays any attention any more, though only one person knows I have Cf. Interestingly, the reason this women knows is that she is about 60 and has recently been tested as she has suffered from pulmonary problems all her life and so she recognized a chronic cougher when she heard one and asked me about it. I am a big pusher of yoga! namaste!