Zenpep Inconsistency

kitomd21

We've recently switched to Zenpep 5 from Pancrease. Pancrease was very consistent in terms of number of beads per capsule while Zenpep has great variation. There should be 20 per capsule, but we see anything from 15 to 21. Doesn't make sense when part of the issue with the FDA involvement pertained to demand for consistent dosing per capsule!! Anyone else notice this? Fifteen to twenty-one beads = inconsistent lipase units = poor weight gain!

kitomd21

We've recently switched to Zenpep 5 from Pancrease. Pancrease was very consistent in terms of number of beads per capsule while Zenpep has great variation. There should be 20 per capsule, but we see anything from 15 to 21. Doesn't make sense when part of the issue with the FDA involvement pertained to demand for consistent dosing per capsule!! Anyone else notice this? Fifteen to twenty-one beads = inconsistent lipase units = poor weight gain!

kitomd21

hsnth2008

it is possible that each bead does not have the same amount and they evaluate it differently. i can say that may daughter has gained better on zenpep than with creon, but i don't open the beads anymore.

hsnth2008

it is possible that each bead does not have the same amount and they evaluate it differently. i can say that may daughter has gained better on zenpep than with creon, but i don't open the beads anymore.

hsnth2008

kitomd21

I was wondering if the capsules were made based upon weight...but then again, how are they weighing millions of capsules and separating them to achieve accurate dosing? It seems silly that they would filter each capsule based upon weight and then add them to each jar. I just don't know...

Our daughter did horribly on Creon. Zenpep has been comparable to Pancrease thus far...

kitomd21

I was wondering if the capsules were made based upon weight...but then again, how are they weighing millions of capsules and separating them to achieve accurate dosing? It seems silly that they would filter each capsule based upon weight and then add them to each jar. I just don't know...

Our daughter did horribly on Creon. Zenpep has been comparable to Pancrease thus far...

kitomd21

<br />
<br />Our daughter did horribly on Creon. Zenpep has been comparable to Pancrease thus far...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
That DOES seem odd. IMO, contact the company. When DS was on pancrease mt4s for a long time he took 3 1/2 capsules and there were I think 12 beads per capsule and it was always the same.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
That DOES seem odd. IMO, contact the company. When DS was on pancrease mt4s for a long time he took 3 1/2 capsules and there were I think 12 beads per capsule and it was always the same.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

camperscove

Interesting!! I'm going to start counting beads for sure! Our son was doing great on Ultrase but then had to switch (thanks FDA) to ZenPep. Tummy aches have definitely increased and poops have not been as consistent and dosage really had to be increased. He has clinic on Wednesday so we'll see what his dietician thinks!

camperscove

Interesting!! I'm going to start counting beads for sure! Our son was doing great on Ultrase but then had to switch (thanks FDA) to ZenPep. Tummy aches have definitely increased and poops have not been as consistent and dosage really had to be increased. He has clinic on Wednesday so we'll see what his dietician thinks!

camperscove

robert321

This is very odd. I don't understand how there can possibly be a different number of beads inside a consistantly dosed pancreatic enzyme. One of the selling points of the old formulations of them was the size and shape of the beads making them better absorbed. I haven't done any research on the new ones, but that was a big deal with the old formulations. So in theory the beads should all be the same size giving them the same surface area allowing them to be absorbed at whatever rate, so if they're the same size, there should also be the same number of beads.

robert321

This is very odd. I don't understand how there can possibly be a different number of beads inside a consistantly dosed pancreatic enzyme. One of the selling points of the old formulations of them was the size and shape of the beads making them better absorbed. I haven't done any research on the new ones, but that was a big deal with the old formulations. So in theory the beads should all be the same size giving them the same surface area allowing them to be absorbed at whatever rate, so if they're the same size, there should also be the same number of beads.