zythromax long term?

M

mom2girls

Hi. No diagnosis yet for my 8 yr old daughter. Just had more blood work done today. Waiting on results of PCD panel. Depending on results, will see CF doc in WI or head to indy or cincy. So, daughter was sick recently. Xray showed probable partial lung collapse and possible pneumonia again. Trying to get sputum sample from her. Pulm wants her on zythromax MWF all winter. I don't know what dose but pharmacy double checking before dispensing b/c high dose. I guess this is used as preventative for inflammation. Anyone heard of this?

nmw0615

I have taken 500mg zythromax M, W, F for many, many years. I started with a smaller dose, I think 250mg (this dose occurred before I started dealing with meds on my own, so I'm not 100% sure), but the dosing schedule of three days a week has always been the same.

M

mom2girls

500mg was the dose prescribed to my daughter. Does that seem like a lot for an 8 year old? I'm worried about side effects.

ethan508

I'm on 250mg once a day (been on that for 8+ years). I've not noticed any side effects. But if you are worried about side effects, talk to your doctor about side effects and the dosing. Your Dr. might have a some amount of clinical experience that helps support his scripting decisions. Also if you daughter has a history of responding well (or at least not negatively) to drugs in the same family or if you Dr. has plans for monitoring her reactions (like Liver Function Testing) then there might not be as much risk to a high dose. If the Dr. doesn't have these things, maybe ask about ramping up to a full dose or a monitoring program.

Your pharmacy checking on an atypical dose is them doing their job. They don't want to give out a Px based on a typo and a double check with the doctor is a cheap way to prevent that. I like those kind of pharmacies.

M

mom2girls

Yes, I was so happy with our pharmacy for checking on it. I will definitely talk to her doctor Monday before picking up the prescription. At our appt, dr didn't say anything about checking liver function or anything. I only learned about that when I read about the drug. I know we were warned of GI problems when daughter was on regular dose of this...the 6 days or whatever it was...so I assume same would be true with MWF schedule. Thanks for letting me know you do well on it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on it for 12 years. Every other day he takes a 250 mg tablet. It's my understanding that it's prescribed more as a drug to help increase lung function and decrease inflammation than as an antibiotic. As a plus it did get rid of the H. Flu. ds had been culturing since he was a baby.

Mg930

I participated in the phase 3 trial of this drug getting approved for CF. If I recall correctly under 42 kg takes 250 mg every other day and above 42 kg takes 500 mg every other day. This study was published so please have your doctor double check my memory! ☺️

M

mom2girls

Thanks everyone for your comments. Talked with the dr and DD will start 250 mg MWF. We'll start it this week.