24 hour ph study

Kyrav

Hi everyone. As of right now I only need one more test before my lung and liver team present my case to the transplant committee. It's the ph study, you know, the one where they shove a tube up your nose and down your throat to measure your acid reflux. Anyway, I tried it outpatient last week and couldn't stand it. I was in so much pain and throwing up every time I coughed so I ended up taking it out 7 hours in. They want me to try it again on Monday, I'm in the hospital for an exacerbation right now so they say they can give me better stuff to help my throat from being so sore and to calm down my gag reflex.

I was just curious how many others have had to do this test, and if you did are there any tips you can give me on how to make it through a whole day??

cftransplant

Had the fun test four times, once prior to TX and three times post TX. Not fun, but the TX is not fun either. First time was more difficult, try sucking on ice chips. Last time dropped the data logger getting up for some coffee in the AM and ripped it out with only 20 hours of data. Once transplant center is very concerned on reflux and BOD (rejection post TX).

CF 62 cepacia TX 13 year out

Daverog75

Hello kyrav,

I tried to do the test but couldn't do it I kept coughing and gagging and when I coughed it messed up the readings on the monitor I told them just to take it out and that I couldn't do it. As long as I take my losec I am fine. Even if they ask me to try again I will say no. I am not going through that again.

Dave,

Melissa75

Administrator
Could you have this test done instead?
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/48_hour_bravo_esophageal/ts_overview.aspx

I will admit, I had painful esophageal spasms every time I swallowed for the maybe 3-4 days this thing was attached inside me, BUT I was just in some "lucky" 1-3%. Most people have no sense that it is in them.

The device is placed during an endoscopy, so I am sure is it more expensive than the string/tube procedure, but maybe you can make a case for it. Best wishes.

Kyrav

Update: I was able to get through the 24 hours. Being inpatient was what made it so much easier. I got Adavan to help keep me relaxed the whole time it was in, and it also helped keep me close to sleeping the majority of the time as well. I was also given benzocaine (a numbing spray) to numb my throat. It did so much better than the regular chloroseptic you get at the store. Ice and otter pops were helpful as well. Hopefully this one got the info they need!

Thanks for the tips!