A 76-YEAR-old woman diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

enniob

Administrator
Staff member
A 76-YEAR-old woman diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, has become the oldest ever first presentation case in Ireland. US and UK registry data reveal the oldest patients with CF in these countries are 82 and 79 years respectively. An increasing number of Adults are being diagnosed later in life due to the increased recognition of milder forms of CF.

Timely diagnosis and proper treatment of milder forms of CF are crucial for the quality and length of life of these individuals. I wander how many people in the world are walking around with CF and do not know it. Diagnosis of milder forms of CF may help increase the numbers and promote more research towards the diseases. This will in turn result in more effecting drugs and treatments and potentially decrease the price of these drugs and therapies.

Are the industry service providers and foundations willingly keeping the CF numbers down so the disease classifies as an orphan/rare disease? Are there advantages for the CF sufferers to keep this disease in the orphan/rare disease classification? Are these benefits of orphan disease classification going to the foundation, pharmaceuticals and device companies or to the patients? Will late manifestations of CF like pancreatitis and CF related diabetes shed more light on milder forms of CF?

There needs to be more light shed on these topics…

Join the discussion on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/knowcf/posts/10152806536308777

4hats

I think general pulmonologists and urologists (for males) need to do a better job at recognizing symptoms and referring individuals to a cf clinic. Had my pulomonoligist and urologist done so I would have been diagnosed much earlier. I got diagnosed at age 41.

enniob

Administrator
Staff member
agree. CF needs to be more prominent on their radars. In all countries where CF has prevalence. This is not the case at all currently in many countries.

G

Took 5 years after my 1st case of pancreatitis to be diagnosed still not many answers having to take my medical into my own hands, do my own research

enniob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi mommof2b1, thats amazing. Its great you finally got diagnosed. You can find plenty of support in our forums and hopefully our facebook and newsletters can also be a source of education for you.

- Chris