AARGH Ambry Vs. Quest CF testing

JoyfulHeart

Doc FINALLY agreeed to the Ambry testing-- I have the box and instructions in my HANDS!

BUT AAGRH-- on my way out the door to get the blood drawn on my 5 year old, the doc's office calls and says that Insurance wants me to to go Quest, and IF quest can't do it, Then I can use Ambry.

Well, I called Quest, and they do have CF testing. They said it tests 1,006 mutations, verses Ambry's 1400+.

So, the question is-- should I just be happy about quest and get it done there and pray they find whatever they're looking for, OR do I make a stink and fight hard for Ambry?

Doc said that IF son has CF, it'll be one of the lesser common mutation as he doesn't have high sweat test and does not have the low weight issues.

I just don't know what to do about this....

JoyfulHeart

Doc FINALLY agreeed to the Ambry testing-- I have the box and instructions in my HANDS!

BUT AAGRH-- on my way out the door to get the blood drawn on my 5 year old, the doc's office calls and says that Insurance wants me to to go Quest, and IF quest can't do it, Then I can use Ambry.

Well, I called Quest, and they do have CF testing. They said it tests 1,006 mutations, verses Ambry's 1400+.

So, the question is-- should I just be happy about quest and get it done there and pray they find whatever they're looking for, OR do I make a stink and fight hard for Ambry?

Doc said that IF son has CF, it'll be one of the lesser common mutation as he doesn't have high sweat test and does not have the low weight issues.

JoyfulHeart

julie

Personally, I'd appeal the insurance companies decision to let you go with quest. Steven from ambry genetics (he's a frequenter on this site) might even have a letter or something that can help out with the insurance company making their decision.

Also, have yoru doctor write a letter and write one yourself. If I were you I'd put it to them like this: If we have the quest test done and it shows that my son has only one mutation, or none, we will further pursue testing with Ambry genetics because they can detect xxxx more mutations than quests test. Therefore, I see it most financially responsible to pursue testing initially with Ambry to reduce the risk of wasting money in having 2 separat tests done.... Or somethin to that effect.

Good luck,

julie

Personally, I'd appeal the insurance companies decision to let you go with quest. Steven from ambry genetics (he's a frequenter on this site) might even have a letter or something that can help out with the insurance company making their decision.

Also, have yoru doctor write a letter and write one yourself. If I were you I'd put it to them like this: If we have the quest test done and it shows that my son has only one mutation, or none, we will further pursue testing with Ambry genetics because they can detect xxxx more mutations than quests test. Therefore, I see it most financially responsible to pursue testing initially with Ambry to reduce the risk of wasting money in having 2 separat tests done.... Or somethin to that effect.

Good luck,

julie

Good luck,

mom4holly

Oh my gosh, what is wrong with insruance companies, dont they see that our children are being affected by lack of treatment because they wont pay for these test. ARGH---I am going to through a similar situation with my insurance but they just are deciding not to cover it at all.....i hate insurance.

mom4holly

Oh my gosh, what is wrong with insruance companies, dont they see that our children are being affected by lack of treatment because they wont pay for these test. ARGH---I am going to through a similar situation with my insurance but they just are deciding not to cover it at all.....i hate insurance.

mom4holly