Advice needed

jessica1114

Hello everyone.. I just have a few questions.. My daughter is going tomorrow to get blood work and a chesk x-ray for her cf appointment on Wed. She just turned one today and I am a little worried that they are going to hurt her taking all the blood from her... When she was in the hospital when she was born her veins keep blowing... That just worries me... Can anyone give me advice on how long it takes to get all the blood test done... How many vials they take?

thanks, Jessica

Mom to Madison w/cf

anonymous

My son just turned 3 and his blood work a month ago took several vials, maybe 6 or 8 (but they were much smaller than the adult vials and we had a couple extra tests being done for his pediatrician at the same time). We lucked out and got the worlds best blood-taker, which makes a huge difference; we've had some that couldn't find a vein and we just had to tell them to stop and get someone else. (don't forget that you're in charge and can say "stop" if you need to)

Also, we got some emla cream from his CF doctors and put it on his arm an hour before - this cream is a topical anesthetic that really works; I tested it on myself. If you've got time to bug somebody for some of this stuff, I'd get it. On the other hand, we still had to work hard to hold the boy and he was still furious about it.

Good luck.

Emily65Roses

It depends bigtime on what they're testing for. The more they test for (CBC, different vitamins, liver functions, etc), the more they need to take.

Oh and on top of what the last person said... you can tell them to stop and get someone better anytime you want. And ask about Emla cream (or something similar). It's a topical numbing cream that can make a big difference in something like blood-drawing.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Tell the tech your child is a biter -- they're extra careful. And push for the emla, there really isn't a reason NOT to use it, but it has to be applied a good length of time prior to drawing blood.

Emily65Roses

Seana,

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>
And ask about Emla cream (or something similar). It's a topical numbing cream that can make a big difference in something like blood-drawing.</end quote></div>

kybert

make sure they use a fine needle too. my veins collapse after a few seconds if they use regular needles for adults. im sure there are even finer needles than the standard ones for young children and babies. just ask. i also agree with asking for someone better to do it. my rule of thumb is i will give anyone 1 chance at getting the vein WITHOUT digging and if they cant get it i get the supervisor to do it.

littledebbie

It also helps to be well hydrated, so keep the water/juice going.

And definitely Emla, but like they said it has to be on about 45 minutes minimum but is good to be on for up to 3 hours so maybe ask if you can have it put on and then go get a bite to eat or go do your other things..pharmacy? appts? and come back for the draw?

anonymous

Emla has to be on for 45mins-1hour. Theres another cream called Amnitop (sp?) which has to be on for 20mins, and the effects last for four hours.