Allergies

anonymous

My son is 17 months old and has CF. He recently was perscribed zyrtec for his allergies. I was wondering if anyone else was taking this for allergies? I can't tell yet if it is helping him, but I thought this was a strong medication for such a young child to be taking. I didn't know if anyone else has children who take this medication, and if they noticed thier child getting relief from this medication.

anonymous

I had a head/sinus type infection once where I felt that my head was filled w/ cotton & I took Zyrtec for a couple of weeks & it did the job to clear it up. That really doesn't answer your question & 17 months does seem young, but if it's for a week or two, maybe that would be OK? You can also ask the pharmacist that filled the Rx what their opinion is?
The thing with CF is..you can't take things that have a "drying" effect for extended periods of time & I don't know if Zyrtec is one of these meds or not. This is just my opinion. Things may have changed through the years, but this is what I was always told.
When my doctor wanted to put me on some allergy type medication that I wasn't sure about once, I called the folks at the CF Services pharmacy and asked the pharmacist to let me know if this med would be OK and he told me for a couple of weeks that medicine would be OK to take, but not as a long term thing. I can't recall the name of the medicine, but my point is. maybe you could call the CF Services Pharmacy and see what the pharmacist recommends for your child.
I no longer get my meds from CFS, so I don't have their phone number handy, but I bet you could do a search for it & get something there.

NoDayButToday

I've taken Zyrtec and haven't noticed a drying effect from them, though granted, I'm 16 and not still a toddler. Is there a toddler/young children dose he is taking, or is it an adult one?

anonymous

My son was on Zyrtec for a time when he was about the same age, I personally don't remember there being any problems with the drug. I think we changed to a different drug because our insurance wasn't covering the cost. My son is now 4, we just found out he might have CF and he is currently taking Flovent, Singular, Clairtin, Xeopenox, and a multivitamin. I don't know if this will help, but when he was on Zyrtec it did work, at least for awhile. What he is on now works great, we haven't had any serious attacts in two months

CollinsMom

My son is 3 years old now and he was on Zyrtec when he was the same age as your child. It didn't work so he is now on Clerenex. He is going for allergy test in July. I wouldn't worry about your child taking a stong dose b/c CF patients take strong meds b/c of there disease. My son has to take Cipro on accations. I have had to take it also with the same stenghth. If you need to talk e-mail me
casscoll@mailbug.com I love to help other Cf moms and get help from Cf moms. Collins Mom