Antacid if enzymes don't seem to work properly?

Hello everyone,
We have recently been told to increase Creon, because our son wasn't (and still isn't) gaining weight properly. It has been four weeks with the higher dose, without any significant changes of his weight. I was wondering whether it might be necessary to add an antacid. Or change from Creon to different enzymes. My son is 7 months old. We are adding enough oil or butter to all his food, so I don't think the problem is calories..
Thanks for any recommendations or your experiences!
Becky

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Is Liam on Zantac? And prilosac? My understanding is that acid makes the enzymes not work properly and that CF also blocks the natural bicarbonate transfer that comes from the pancreas. I'd call and ask about starting with Zantac and if already on that adding Prilosac. Are his stools floating? If so, then you know the enzymes aren't working enough. Check back to see if there is more room to go higher. Also, does he have maybe one meal that is bigger than others? If so, can you try to give him a snack before that meal and then another snack. In other words two smaller meals. The enzymes, even at the maximum dose, I believe only can handle so much fat. Once we broke the huge dinner to a pre-dinner snack and dinner our son's stools immediately stopped floating. Also, is he on a high-calorie drink like Boast Plus. DS is on 4 a day and they are 360 calories a pop. One thing I would caution against is pressuring to eat b/c that could well backfire (we did around that age when DS started slipping on the growth chart which in retrospect was a blockage, and when we started pressuring his weight plummeted).
Hugs and Prayers,
Love

Thanks for your reply! He's not on Zantac so far, and that's exactly what I was wondering.. I think I'll try starting Zantac before we increase Creon even more (which we could, so they said). Our doctor doesn't think he needs an antacid yet, but somehow I think it might help him better than more Creon. Just wanted to check with more experienced patients or parents that my thoughts make sense :)

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was on zantac as a baby to help his enzymes work better. We added cream, oil, butter to his meals.

I know some enzymes work better for some than others --- pancreacarb or whatever it's called actually has bicarbonate in it to help it get to where it needs to go. I think some people supplement with bicarbonate, too. How long are feedings taking? DS is a VERY slow eater, so we break up his enzymes -- giving him half to 3/4 at the start and then the rest near the end. When we go to movies, because theater popcorn has soooo many calories and fat, I usually keep handing him a couple enzymes every 20-30 minutes throughout the movie.