Anybody ever use a steam mask?

baseballfrank

Has anybody ever used a steam mask. For years I have used steam rooms in the local gym after my work out, and they have been beneficial. Lately though, I have become worried about infection in public steam rooms. My cousin recommended a steam mask to help when it is hard to breathe. She has asthma and not CF.

baseballfrank

Has anybody ever used a steam mask. For years I have used steam rooms in the local gym after my work out, and they have been beneficial. Lately though, I have become worried about infection in public steam rooms. My cousin recommended a steam mask to help when it is hard to breathe. She has asthma and not CF.

imported_Momto2

I use super hot showers all the time to make my lungs less tight and relax the super-tight intercostal and back muscles. Sure, their will be PA exposure with it in the shower (mast I suppose you could use sterile water) but PA is everywhere and I'm not going to limit my activities because of it. Better to keep myself strong to fight it off, I think. Personally, I would avoid public steam rooms. I just dont know how clean they are, and I know we clean our shower VERY thoroughly. Try a coke when your breathing get tight too. The cool, carbonation, and caffeine all seem to be very beneficial for me in staving of an asthma/bronchospasm attack.

imported_Momto2

I use super hot showers all the time to make my lungs less tight and relax the super-tight intercostal and back muscles. Sure, their will be PA exposure with it in the shower (mast I suppose you could use sterile water) but PA is everywhere and I'm not going to limit my activities because of it. Better to keep myself strong to fight it off, I think. Personally, I would avoid public steam rooms. I just dont know how clean they are, and I know we clean our shower VERY thoroughly. Try a coke when your breathing get tight too. The cool, carbonation, and caffeine all seem to be very beneficial for me in staving of an asthma/bronchospasm attack.

oh thanks for the idea of drinking a coke. Sometimes during the spasms my son gets when NOTHING else helps to break the cycle, this could be the trick! I'll try it for sure!

Ditto on avoiding public steam rooms, they're not even healthy for people without CF to sit & breathe in. I've seen people "clean" those rooms and let's just say ICK!

oh thanks for the idea of drinking a coke. Sometimes during the spasms my son gets when NOTHING else helps to break the cycle, this could be the trick! I'll try it for sure!

Ditto on avoiding public steam rooms, they're not even healthy for people without CF to sit & breathe in. I've seen people "clean" those rooms and let's just say ICK!

imported_Momto2

Treasuregoddess, not sure if you want to go down this road, but when my hacking gets totally out of control (ie all my back and intercostal muscles are pulled and screaming and I am about to start breaking ribs again) I take some hydrocodone. It works wonders, at least in me, in calming the spasms down and giving me a few hours of relief. SOmetimes that's all I need to break the cycle and get back on track. My CF doc has also said that its worked well in many of his other patients too : )

imported_Momto2

Treasuregoddess, not sure if you want to go down this road, but when my hacking gets totally out of control (ie all my back and intercostal muscles are pulled and screaming and I am about to start breaking ribs again) I take some hydrocodone. It works wonders, at least in me, in calming the spasms down and giving me a few hours of relief. SOmetimes that's all I need to break the cycle and get back on track. My CF doc has also said that its worked well in many of his other patients too : )

baseballfrank

I have been using hydrocodone nightly for the past 5 months. I started using it to avoid the constant tickle I get in my throat when I go to bed.The tickle makes me cough like crazy which makes it impossible to sleep. The hydrocodone works great! It calms my cough, makes me drowsy, and allows me to sleep. I was worried about addiction using it nightly but my doctor says not to worry. When I don't use it before bed, I spend hours coughing throughout the night.
However I haven't received any answers to my original question, Doesanybody have any experience using a steam mask?

baseballfrank

I have been using hydrocodone nightly for the past 5 months. I started using it to avoid the constant tickle I get in my throat when I go to bed.The tickle makes me cough like crazy which makes it impossible to sleep. The hydrocodone works great! It calms my cough, makes me drowsy, and allows me to sleep. I was worried about addiction using it nightly but my doctor says not to worry. When I don't use it before bed, I spend hours coughing throughout the night.
However I haven't received any answers to my original question, Doesanybody have any experience using a steam mask?

imported_Momto2

baseballfrank. For me, hydrocodone is horribly addictive. I only need to take it a few days in a row, then skip a day and here come the night sweats, nighmares, feeling funky, etc. But now I expect the withdrawel and it doesnt bother me nearly as much since I can anticipate it. If you've been on it steadily for that long, I would taper off carefully when you do stop.

imported_Momto2

baseballfrank. For me, hydrocodone is horribly addictive. I only need to take it a few days in a row, then skip a day and here come the night sweats, nighmares, feeling funky, etc. But now I expect the withdrawel and it doesnt bother me nearly as much since I can anticipate it. If you've been on it steadily for that long, I would taper off carefully when you do stop.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I too had the usual hot showers or sat in the bathroom running just hot water through the shower head. However my first steam mask was an accident. For Mother's Day I got my mom a 'facial sauna' that for all practical purposes was a steam mask. Resembling a blender the base using s ceramic heater and water storage, on 'high' steam billowing through a ceramic grate I would place my face against the soft gasket at the top of the unit and suck steam. The advantage is multifold. The gasket neatly covered my entire face heating all my sinuses, allowing them to open and drain. Breathing absurdly hot steam alternately in through the mouth, out through the nose was relief almost indescribably healthy in its effects. Another addvantage with the facial sauna, which is still made by Sunbeam and of course imitators at every drugstore chain, is all you have to do is raise your head to hack out phlegm. Although I hadn't yet been diagnosed with CF, my parents, doctor and by 12 when I bought my mom this facial sauna, my mom suggested I use it. I eagerly tried and 40 years later, still use it. I add stuff to my steam mask (facial sauna) sometimes Albuterol Sulfate and nebulize with steam.WARNING CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING I CLAIM IS SO GREAT. Adding albuterol to steam is potentially dangerous, maybe even fatal. Same goes for some personal favorites such as camphor oil, capsaisan oil, peppermint oil and a couple others. The original Sunbeam Facial Sauna with all ceramic parts lends itself to cleaning and sterilization. For a period I used a knock off with metal and plastic. It worked fine, but took a little more to assure sterilization. Whatever you choose, steam mask, facial sauna, or a wet towel over a boiling pan of water, intense hot steam can be frighteningly effective. You don't want to loosen too much too fast. I had to get to an ER fast once when I over did it. They went in and sucked two liters of thick stciky icky, I had loosened. With me, I was purposely trying to see how far I could push the process. Try this at your own peril. With parents of young CFer's should monitor them. In short, it is the best thing since ear buds. I have asked several pulmonary docs and none have told me not to do this and 40 years is a long term testimonial to be simply anecdotal. I tried a medical steam mask and prefer the alternative.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I too had the usual hot showers or sat in the bathroom running just hot water through the shower head. However my first steam mask was an accident. For Mother's Day I got my mom a 'facial sauna' that for all practical purposes was a steam mask. Resembling a blender the base using s ceramic heater and water storage, on 'high' steam billowing through a ceramic grate I would place my face against the soft gasket at the top of the unit and suck steam. The advantage is multifold. The gasket neatly covered my entire face heating all my sinuses, allowing them to open and drain. Breathing absurdly hot steam alternately in through the mouth, out through the nose was relief almost indescribably healthy in its effects. Another addvantage with the facial sauna, which is still made by Sunbeam and of course imitators at every drugstore chain, is all you have to do is raise your head to hack out phlegm. Although I hadn't yet been diagnosed with CF, my parents, doctor and by 12 when I bought my mom this facial sauna, my mom suggested I use it. I eagerly tried and 40 years later, still use it. I add stuff to my steam mask (facial sauna) sometimes Albuterol Sulfate and nebulize with steam.WARNING CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING I CLAIM IS SO GREAT. Adding albuterol to steam is potentially dangerous, maybe even fatal. Same goes for some personal favorites such as camphor oil, capsaisan oil, peppermint oil and a couple others. The original Sunbeam Facial Sauna with all ceramic parts lends itself to cleaning and sterilization. For a period I used a knock off with metal and plastic. It worked fine, but took a little more to assure sterilization. Whatever you choose, steam mask, facial sauna, or a wet towel over a boiling pan of water, intense hot steam can be frighteningly effective. You don't want to loosen too much too fast. I had to get to an ER fast once when I over did it. They went in and sucked two liters of thick stciky icky, I had loosened. With me, I was purposely trying to see how far I could push the process. Try this at your own peril. With parents of young CFer's should monitor them. In short, it is the best thing since ear buds. I have asked several pulmonary docs and none have told me not to do this and 40 years is a long term testimonial to be simply anecdotal. I tried a medical steam mask and prefer the alternative.