Anyone in Maryland?

anonymous

I applied fior SS for my daughters and they were denied but i have a friend in Delaware who has a slightly mentally challanged son who gets Ssecurity benefits. I just wondered if anyone knows how they determine whos eligible? Jen R I am in Maryland

Drea

JenYou have to fight to get the SSI benefits. The rejection notice should give you info about appealing- do it! they will send you paperwork to fill out Keep fighting. I finally had to request that a judge review the case and the letter i recieved from them said that he wanted to know on what grounds we were being denied! He said there should have been no argument. (I am in PA but that shouldn't make a diference- it is not a state program it is federal) Just keep at them. You may have to get a lawyer-but most places have Legal assistance or some like program to help those who need a lawyer but can't afford to pay the $200 fees. You can get that info from the county if it comes to that. It took more than a year for our daughter's to go through but it does help when you finally get it. Good luck- I hope that I have helped some.Andrea

Drea

Hi,My daughter gets a little bit of $ each month (this helps with her dietary suppliments and the huge amount of milk and cream we go through for her) and because she is gets SSI, she automaticly gets medical assistance (this varies state to state).Andrea

anonymous

I went to the SS office yesterday to see if i could file for supplimental security income and the secretary asked what my husbands annual salary was and she said we werent eligilble for any benefits. I was surprised because my friend is also middle class and recieved monthly benefits for her son who is very mildly mentally challanged. She gave me the idea to file because CF is considered a disability and more income would be nice. We added up medical expenses out of pocket last year and it was close to four thousand dollars! Thats with insurance paying most of it!!! Jen

Mandaberrie

Fight it anyway. When i got married they kicked me off ssi. i was barely on it to begin with then they kick me off when i get married. I was living with my parents with no bills and get ssi but when ig et married and have bills and medical stuff i get no assitance. Stupid YES. when we were denied assitance we found out months later that we should have foughtit. gotten a lawyer and fought. there are lawyers who help you and if you don't get anythign they don't and if you win their fee is small. So fight fight fight. there have been people who have fought for several years and finally got it. but yes cf is considered a disability in most states ( i think all but not sure) its worht the fight to get assitance the little extra $ helps and the medical helps tons so good luck and keep fighting don't give up

Drea

Jen,The first time we were rejected they said that my husband made too much and that my daughter wasn't sick enough. How is having CF "not sick enough"? Apply anyway and let them deny you, then you can continue to fight it. They can not stop you from putting in an application. Appeal, appeal, appeal. There is also the legal aid option- they go on a sliding scale depending on your income. We used one when we had to fight with Rachel's medical assistance. The SSI stuff is based on income and how many people per household, as well as the illness. You could also try for medical assistance through the welfare dept in your state, but this is based on income only(at least it is in PA), so you may not qualify unless you already have SSI already. in PA if you qualify for SSI, you automaticly get Medical assistance,even if you make more than the alloted amount for MA. Here you also qualify for things like WIC if you have a Medical Assistance card. Just keep fighting, I know about those expenses!!Andrea