basketball

cfboy

i play many different sports and my main 1 is basketball. i am pretty good and keep up wit everyone else, but as time passes i notice that i get tired and loose breath faster. does anyone have any tips 2 help wit this if so please help me out.

anonymous

So, your saying your problem is endurance? I played basketball as a teenager, but my main problem was that I was too small. At the time I was about 5'6 and 100 lbs. My size is what kept me from competing at a higher level. I would just suggest, (and I don't know how serious your lung problems are) that you just continue working out longer and longer until you can build up the endurance. If you are relatively healthy, you need to work out all year round, not just during the season. Stay active. Ride a bike, run, play other sports. Don't become a couch potato. If you stay in shape during the offseason you'll have a definite advantage when basketball season comes around. You'll just have to outwork everyone else. You could try running or biking up hills or doing windsprints. It all depends on your current health status as to what you can do. Like I said, as teen my problem was not lung related, so I was able to work out like everyone else. Don't give up and don't ever stop working out. I wish I had kept working out during college, now I regret it.

John 26 years old with cf

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys both play bball too. My older son didn't get to try out for the high school this year because he was sick, but he really wanted to play. He's really small, but is a great point guard.

My advice in addition to keeping active like John said, is drink lots of water or gatorade. Keeping hydrated is important for your lungs. It will help with breathing and energy.