Because I have CF, do I have an advantage when it comes to fat loss or fat gain?

Enzo2311

So since I have Cf is it harder to gain fat on my body? Does that give me an advantage when it comes to achieving an aesthetically pleasing body?

rmotion

We struggle with weight from a myriad of reasons. 1. lack of enzymes that naturally digest food( especially fats) and all the accompanying secondary lack of that process. 2. Lung infections and inflammation soak up a lot of calories and you are always going to be at a deficit there. 3. Lack of nutrient utilization and bone density. 4. The prospect of eating anything we want is simply it is passing through you and not digesting. 5. muscle is an expensive luxury for the body to maintain biologically, therefore it gets burned up from all of the above deficiencies. BOttom line if you can maintain your weight at a healthy level then that is the best thing for your lung health and such.

Enzo2311

We struggle with weight from a myriad of reasons. 1. lack of enzymes that naturally digest food( especially fats) and all the accompanying secondary lack of that process. 2. Lung infections and inflammation soak up a lot of calories and you are always going to be at a deficit there. 3. Lack of nutrient utilization and bone density. 4. The prospect of eating anything we want is simply it is passing through you and not digesting. 5. muscle is an expensive luxury for the body to maintain biologically, therefore it gets burned up from all of the above deficiencies. BOttom line if you can maintain your weight at a healthy level then that is the best thing for your lung health and such.

so it's harder to gain muscle and a good set of abs and pecs? That's all I want, is vascular arms, pecs, and abs. There's a bit of fat on my stomach, so if I were to go on a calorie deficient diet, would I have an advantage at losing the fat to reveal the abs and pecs?

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Overall, CFers have CRMS or cystic fibrosis metabolic syndrome on top of the other CF issues that challenge our systems, sapping energy. Malabsorption begets malnutrition so we can be under-nourished. This can mean too few calories but it also could be growth related vitamins and minerals. To absorb calcium, we need to absorb certain oil soluble vitamins and such.

We are not immune to all the other metabolic disorders, such as metabolic related obesity so you can literally have the problem of being fat while starving to death at the extreme end of problems. Some CFers deal with this and it very frustrating and difficult to manage.

I have posted before concerning you wanting to trade a little belly fat for some striking muscles. Anything I can do to help, or encourage you on your path, I am by your side. Enzo, if you want to do this, continue to eat properly. Then start making protein shakes primarily from soy protein, brewer’s yeast and such and working out. For muscle mass, weight lifting has been the traditional approach.

Pick up a weight lifting magazine, or find an on line version and start reading reviews on products and how-to videos or such. Like a short fix diet, you can’t just build your upper body you need to ignite your muscle metabolism and that means burning your leg muscles, especially your skinny thighs.

I spent some time discussing alternative ways to igniting a muscle building metabolism besides creatine with my body building brother after your last post on the subject. The standard practice is to burn your large muscles. Do squats with a barbell on your shoulders, ten reps of ten, increasing weight each time. Don’t hurt yourself. It is not crime to go through reps with too little weight, just add a little more next time. Use this approach, and choose a good weight lifting routine, CF or not, you will tighten your six pack and have some muscles for your effort. Be happy with slender, strong but defined muscles. Body builders and weight lifters are successful most when the stick to something for a year or more. Those who flit around for a quick fix, only prove there isn’t one out there.

LL