Bi-Polar and CF

B

bethylove

I was just recently diagnosed as bi-polar and I am in the process of finding a right dosage of meds that work for me. Luckily I'm very receptive to the meds, but I still find myself going up and down. =\ I tend to have more of the rapid cycling bi-polar where I switch from mania to depression frequently.

When I'm manic I just don't do meds, I feel like i'm on top of the world, and there is way to much stuff to be doing than to sit for 25 minutes and do nebs.OR I am very aggressive and anyone that tries to tell me to do something, i blow up at, and become mean. (not something I'm very proud of). And then of course opposite that is when i'm in my bout of depression and feel like doing meds is a waste of time because life isn't worth living.

The meds seem to help a lot, but I just wish there were some tricks to help keep compliant even during my different stages.

Is there anyone else out there who's juggling CF with Bi-polar disorder? If so, how to you cope, and how compliant are you? What are some tricks to keep yourself in check, no matter what you are in the moment.

B

bethylove

I was just recently diagnosed as bi-polar and I am in the process of finding a right dosage of meds that work for me. Luckily I'm very receptive to the meds, but I still find myself going up and down. =\ I tend to have more of the rapid cycling bi-polar where I switch from mania to depression frequently.

When I'm manic I just don't do meds, I feel like i'm on top of the world, and there is way to much stuff to be doing than to sit for 25 minutes and do nebs.OR I am very aggressive and anyone that tries to tell me to do something, i blow up at, and become mean. (not something I'm very proud of). And then of course opposite that is when i'm in my bout of depression and feel like doing meds is a waste of time because life isn't worth living.

The meds seem to help a lot, but I just wish there were some tricks to help keep compliant even during my different stages.

Is there anyone else out there who's juggling CF with Bi-polar disorder? If so, how to you cope, and how compliant are you? What are some tricks to keep yourself in check, no matter what you are in the moment.

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

<br />
<br />When I'm manic I just don't do meds, I feel like i'm on top of the world, and there is way to much stuff to be doing than to sit for 25 minutes and do nebs.OR I am very aggressive and anyone that tries to tell me to do something, i blow up at, and become mean. (not something I'm very proud of). And then of course opposite that is when i'm in my bout of depression and feel like doing meds is a waste of time because life isn't worth living.
<br />
<br />The meds seem to help a lot, but I just wish there were some tricks to help keep compliant even during my different stages.
<br />
<br />Is there anyone else out there who's juggling CF with Bi-polar disorder? If so, how to you cope, and how compliant are you? What are some tricks to keep yourself in check, no matter what you are in the moment.

blackchameleon

hey Bethylove. i have cf and been diagnosed w bi-polar. i rapid cycle very similar to what u describe. meds did not work 4 me. i dont really believe i have typical bi-polar but can appreciate the difficulty in putting a label on an individuals mental illness. one drug that works for me is dex-amphetamine. its allows me to focus far better and i act more responsibly. the level of "calm" or "focus" i achieve depends upon my starting point ie if flying 50 ooo feet i come back to 20 000 feet. if subbing underground the same depth i come up the same amount. some days i am just higher or lower than others, same as a "normal" person accept my high low variance is very extreme. i tap into the mania and exercise agressively now and perform chest clearance with enthusiasm! i, like you could not seem to place enough importance on my health when high. i learned through nearly needing a transplant the importance of constant vigilance. maturity?? when depressed i so stuggle to do anything and i just clung to some forelorn hope 'things " would improve one day somehow. and now nearly ten years of struggling are giving me fruit. i am fitter than i was a decade ago. i am finding more lasting happiness and diminishing sadness and sorrow. i have been where you are and would love to encourage you to at least maintain your physical health while you master that crazy but im sure beautiful mind of yours. i lost alot of lung function and have irreversible damage to an extensive area of my lungs. believe me, you want to avoid that!! and keep constantly telling your doctor your own thoughts and ideas on whats happening to you and ways to "fix" it. most people with bi-polar can come up with some amazingly effective ideas especially when manic. dont let them be dismissed it as the ravings of a looney. our bodys let us know whats going on deeply if we can take the time out to listen and reflect. pm me if ya wanna know anything else. cheers Blacky

blackchameleon

hey Bethylove. i have cf and been diagnosed w bi-polar. i rapid cycle very similar to what u describe. meds did not work 4 me. i dont really believe i have typical bi-polar but can appreciate the difficulty in putting a label on an individuals mental illness. one drug that works for me is dex-amphetamine. its allows me to focus far better and i act more responsibly. the level of "calm" or "focus" i achieve depends upon my starting point ie if flying 50 ooo feet i come back to 20 000 feet. if subbing underground the same depth i come up the same amount. some days i am just higher or lower than others, same as a "normal" person accept my high low variance is very extreme. i tap into the mania and exercise agressively now and perform chest clearance with enthusiasm! i, like you could not seem to place enough importance on my health when high. i learned through nearly needing a transplant the importance of constant vigilance. maturity?? when depressed i so stuggle to do anything and i just clung to some forelorn hope 'things " would improve one day somehow. and now nearly ten years of struggling are giving me fruit. i am fitter than i was a decade ago. i am finding more lasting happiness and diminishing sadness and sorrow. i have been where you are and would love to encourage you to at least maintain your physical health while you master that crazy but im sure beautiful mind of yours. i lost alot of lung function and have irreversible damage to an extensive area of my lungs. believe me, you want to avoid that!! and keep constantly telling your doctor your own thoughts and ideas on whats happening to you and ways to "fix" it. most people with bi-polar can come up with some amazingly effective ideas especially when manic. dont let them be dismissed it as the ravings of a looney. our bodys let us know whats going on deeply if we can take the time out to listen and reflect. pm me if ya wanna know anything else. cheers Blacky

blackchameleon

blackchameleon

blackchameleon

B

bethylove

Thanks Blacky for your response. I just now recently have been starting to feel satisfied with my days and with a sense of normalcy hardly experienced. It's wonderful. =) Thank you for your encouragement.

B

bethylove

Thanks Blacky for your response. I just now recently have been starting to feel satisfied with my days and with a sense of normalcy hardly experienced. It's wonderful. =) Thank you for your encouragement.

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove