Brain Wave Test Approved by US Regulators

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Before people start having brain scans at nail parlors, it might be wise to look at the effect genetic testing has had on the CF community. In the early use of genetic testing for CF, there was little real life experience to guide us. The tests were limited to a few mutations and everybody was working without the benefit of historical studies. It confused most people, offended others and condemned the hope of a few. I read the article and find it fascinating and properly presented as a diagnostic aid.

Historical studies do show that new medical aids to diagnosis often take on far more importance than is their due. This well presented article should be required reading for anybody submitting their child to this testing aid.

It is surprisingly difficult to distinguish attention and hyperactivity disorders from many other potential conditions from Asperger's to a gifted child. The idea of giving a child a powerful stimulant in part to determine if it helps is frightening to a degree. This is currently one of the empirical tests for ADHD and treatment if it helps calm and focus a person. If combining the talents of a psychological professional with the aid of this test is used as intended, it holds great promise.

Many people are now seeing advertisements for 23andMe genetics by mail tests. It is a $99 wide spectrum genetics panel that could tell you to expect gallbladder disease or breast cancer. I find the idea of a genetic analysis by mail to be akin to a death threat tossed through a window wrapped around a rock. Attention/hyperactivity type disorders can be quite disabling and I feel that technology such as this test should be performed and interpreted by the professionals charged with the health of that person. I am not certain this is the type of test a doctor should even be handing the results to their patients. My opinion about genetic testing for CF is beginning to lean this direction just because of the fantastic opportunity for the patient and family to misinterpret the results.

Psychological diseases are being correlated with brain lesions using the latest imaging technology. Depression, bipolar disorder and several other conditions thought to be environmentally imposed now have measurable changes in the brain to back up a clinical diagnosis. As far as I know, this is still in medical research and only controlled trials are being used to correlate a diagnosis with these new found changes in the brain.

About twenty years ago I saw a demonstration of an EEG head cap. The data that could be gathered exceeded anything at the time by a considerable factor. Integrating the cap into computer storage and their analytical software pointed to the intended market. Diagnosing mental conditions through brain wave analysis has always been a fantastical instrument like a lie detector. An EEG or a polygraph can provide a great deal of information for an expert to interpret. Neither test can be automated because of the variety of people.

My hope is this technology won't be subverted into a do-it-yourself product. More to the point, I hope it doesn’t replace the full clinical analysis done currently. It would be too easy for mental health professionals to ascribe too much to the test. This in fact was the discouraging element in the wonderfully invented EEG head cap. The total amount of new and repeatable signal data from this device came with the less reliable promise of an automated diagnosis based on their software.

It sounds like a great diagnostic tool,

LL

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Frankly I see this testing as missing the point. ADHD is really constellation of symptoms or behaviors, not necessarily a disease. Similar behaviors occur in dyslexic children, stressed children and often children with visual dysfunctions undetected at standard eye exams. For those not familiar with the latter, take a look at articles on binocular dysfunction and developmental optometry. My fear is that a label backed by something that looks like a diagnostic test gives you aa way out of solving the problem. And removes hope for the child to have the problem understood or even solved. Nope. This is a move backwards I suspect.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Okay. So here are some more details. ADD or ADHD As most know is over diagnosed. Perhaps this brainwave test will help but I sincerely wonder. Before you head down that road, or if your child is diagnosed either with this brainwave test or otherwise I would strongly suggest you locate A behavioral optometrist before doing any medications. Binocular dysfunction is a difficulty with making the eyes see things together. it is an eye muscle issue and affects a large number of children to varying degrees. It comes in many forms. It manifests itself in reading problems, learning problems and behavioral problems. It is also often diagnosed as ADHD. But with appropriate eye therapy by a behavioral optometrist, the difficulties can be largely if not completely corrected. It is also important to undertake therapy before adolescence. Similar issues can occur with the more subtle hearing difficulties. Careful.