Breakfast Menu Ideas

briellemom

Hi everyone. Delaney is having a hard time gaining weight, seems like now more than ever. Her worst meal is breakfast and she doesn't seem to like <i>anything</i>. Does anybody have any high-calorie ideas that we can try for this meal?
Thanks!

briellemom

Hi everyone. Delaney is having a hard time gaining weight, seems like now more than ever. Her worst meal is breakfast and she doesn't seem to like <i>anything</i>. Does anybody have any high-calorie ideas that we can try for this meal?
Thanks!

briellemom

Thanks!

JazzysMom

Well I am not sure that I am the best one to offer info. The only one in our house that eats traditional breakfast food is my hubby. For Jazz & I it can vary from left over Chinese or spaghetti to toast or cereal. If breakfast is a real issue then why not stick with things that you know he will eat. Have you tried any of the shakes? My doctor doesnt like me relying solely on them for calories, but honestly its better then no calories. Wish I could help you more. Just work with what she will eat even if for now she keeps eating the same things!

JazzysMom

Well I am not sure that I am the best one to offer info. The only one in our house that eats traditional breakfast food is my hubby. For Jazz & I it can vary from left over Chinese or spaghetti to toast or cereal. If breakfast is a real issue then why not stick with things that you know he will eat. Have you tried any of the shakes? My doctor doesnt like me relying solely on them for calories, but honestly its better then no calories. Wish I could help you more. Just work with what she will eat even if for now she keeps eating the same things!

JazzysMom

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter who is 4 with CF isn't big into breakfast. Her best meal of the day is dinner. Breakfast does not have to be traditional foods, like eggs and pancakes but whatever your child likes that is fairly healthy. Because we have so many treatments to do in the am to get out the door, I give Maggie some salty pretzels first thing in am, she requests them. She usually has juice, and apple and sometimes some cheese while getting through all her treamtents, we are the multi-tasking family. Some days are better than others, she'll have oatmeal with cream and cinnamon and sugar, or eggs made with whole milk and butter. Other days she'll have a Boost plus drink. Her weight is good right now so I don't get too stressed if for breakfast meal is not alot because she makes up for it at dinner. Some ideas are to take your daughter to the grocery store and let her pick out a couple things, she might like. My daughter came with me yesterday and picked out th Y0-Baby drinkable yogurt(banana flavor) She drank two of them yesterday and they would be a great morning drink, they are organic and ahve good yogurt cultures in them, plus 7 grams of fat per drink. If your daughter likes peanutbutter have her dip fruit in it for breakfast. My daughter can eat peanut butter with a spoon! Flax seed oil is great to mix in to high fat yogurt. Cream cheese on a mini bagel. i also have alot of crazy straws and fun cups to make drinking high cal shakes and Boost drinks. that's all I can think of now

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter who is 4 with CF isn't big into breakfast. Her best meal of the day is dinner. Breakfast does not have to be traditional foods, like eggs and pancakes but whatever your child likes that is fairly healthy. Because we have so many treatments to do in the am to get out the door, I give Maggie some salty pretzels first thing in am, she requests them. She usually has juice, and apple and sometimes some cheese while getting through all her treamtents, we are the multi-tasking family. Some days are better than others, she'll have oatmeal with cream and cinnamon and sugar, or eggs made with whole milk and butter. Other days she'll have a Boost plus drink. Her weight is good right now so I don't get too stressed if for breakfast meal is not alot because she makes up for it at dinner. Some ideas are to take your daughter to the grocery store and let her pick out a couple things, she might like. My daughter came with me yesterday and picked out th Y0-Baby drinkable yogurt(banana flavor) She drank two of them yesterday and they would be a great morning drink, they are organic and ahve good yogurt cultures in them, plus 7 grams of fat per drink. If your daughter likes peanutbutter have her dip fruit in it for breakfast. My daughter can eat peanut butter with a spoon! Flax seed oil is great to mix in to high fat yogurt. Cream cheese on a mini bagel. i also have alot of crazy straws and fun cups to make drinking high cal shakes and Boost drinks. that's all I can think of now

Rebjane

Super Moderator

folione

Here are some things my boy (4 years old) has eaten for breakfast, but it all comes and goes: one day he wants one thing and the next he wants nothing to do with it. Lately he's been not eating much at breakfast, but he makes up for it at snacks and lunch usually.
Yo-baby whole-milk smoothies mixed with whole milk and a shot of cream
Whole fat yogurt
scrambled eggs & cheese omlettes
Various frozen waffles and french toast with butter
Various packaged granola bars and energy bars (cliff bars being his favorite)
Bacon
Whole wheat bread
Chocolate chip scones (made with cream and butter)
applesauce
oatmeal cookies
various dry cereals (won't touch it with milk)

folione

Here are some things my boy (4 years old) has eaten for breakfast, but it all comes and goes: one day he wants one thing and the next he wants nothing to do with it. Lately he's been not eating much at breakfast, but he makes up for it at snacks and lunch usually.
Whole fat yogurt
Bacon
Whole wheat bread
applesauce
oatmeal cookies

folione

Whole fat yogurt
Bacon
Whole wheat bread
applesauce
oatmeal cookies

eli

I have had this battle with my dd for as long as she's been on solids. Mel, can vouch for me on this one.lol

Like the above poster said, there are many of us out there that are not to keen on breakfast so if you child eats well at lunch and dinner time then just add the extra calories in those meals.

Some breakfast ideas just from the top of my head are
* Uncle tobies poridge/oats which come in many flavours
* Any high fat breakfast cereal (always read the back label)
*picklets smothered in butter and honey/jam
*jaffles packed with butter/ham/cheese
*toasted crumpets packed again with butter and whatever else your heart desires
*tub of yoghurt/custard/yogo etc
*warm rice pudding (winter) cold in (summer)

> add cream to any of the above where you find suitable, uses as much full cream milk as possible and also add cream to the milk for extra callories.

Thats all i can think of for now. I hope this helps.

Take care

Edited to add: forgot to mention

* muffins which come in all sorts of flavours from savoury to sweet. You can butter the savoury and add loads of cream to the sweet.
*omoletts sp? add whatever you like to them
or even frittata's. Google high fat recipes and you will be amazed what you can find.

eli

I have had this battle with my dd for as long as she's been on solids. Mel, can vouch for me on this one.lol

Like the above poster said, there are many of us out there that are not to keen on breakfast so if you child eats well at lunch and dinner time then just add the extra calories in those meals.

> add cream to any of the above where you find suitable, uses as much full cream milk as possible and also add cream to the milk for extra callories.

Take care

* muffins which come in all sorts of flavours from savoury to sweet. You can butter the savoury and add loads of cream to the sweet.
or even frittata's. Google high fat recipes and you will be amazed what you can find.

eli

Take care

M

Mommafirst

Here is a recipe for Baked French Toast Casserole, from Paula Dean. Its very high in calories for sure!!! You could make it on the weekend and have packets for all week. My kids all LOVE LOVE LOVE this...

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.

M

Mommafirst

Here is a recipe for Baked French Toast Casserole, from Paula Dean. Its very high in calories for sure!!! You could make it on the weekend and have packets for all week. My kids all LOVE LOVE LOVE this...

8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
Dash salt
Maple syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans

M

Mommafirst

8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
Dash salt
Maple syrup

Praline Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has NEVER been a breakfast eater. In fact, I give him carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk and cream before we head out the door for preschool and they serve breakfast there and it's hit or miss.

When he was younger, I'd give him a bottle or glass of formula Carnation right away in the morning (sometimes sleep feed him) and then around 10 I'd give him some yogurt.

I wish he'd eat more of the greek style or whole milk yogurts, but these days he likes the bright colors -- so I get him gogurt, trix, danimals. And since he's such a snacker, on the weekends we have gotten him to eat cereal -- usually he'll snack on dry cereal for breakfast -- again, bright colors, ones with cool commercials on tv. Sometimes he'll eat peanuts or sunflower nuts for breakfast and this past winter -- he asked for popcorn.

Find something she likes weather it's a high calorie drink -- or even just throw a splash of cream into her whole milk to sneak in some calories. Have you asked her what she wants?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has NEVER been a breakfast eater. In fact, I give him carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk and cream before we head out the door for preschool and they serve breakfast there and it's hit or miss.

When he was younger, I'd give him a bottle or glass of formula Carnation right away in the morning (sometimes sleep feed him) and then around 10 I'd give him some yogurt.

I wish he'd eat more of the greek style or whole milk yogurts, but these days he likes the bright colors -- so I get him gogurt, trix, danimals. And since he's such a snacker, on the weekends we have gotten him to eat cereal -- usually he'll snack on dry cereal for breakfast -- again, bright colors, ones with cool commercials on tv. Sometimes he'll eat peanuts or sunflower nuts for breakfast and this past winter -- he asked for popcorn.

Find something she likes weather it's a high calorie drink -- or even just throw a splash of cream into her whole milk to sneak in some calories. Have you asked her what she wants?