brown sputum

C

caza

Has anyone had this recently.  I have been having it for couple of months now.  Had it in the past usually few days after bleed or something but this is usually brown all the time.  Well not ever single ccough but at least once a day.  Not huge but wont clear.  I recently had blood tests and x ray and sputum sample given and nothing grew - then it was suggested I go to gastrologist to have endescope which had and nothing showed.  I do have sliding hiatus hernia but it was not thought the problem.  I do have an upper lobe cavity and cultured mac but was put on anti biotics for nearly 3 years and so far so good.  What the hell is it why is it still coming up.  I get few days when it doesnt but then out the blue it is back again.

C

caza

Has anyone had this recently. I have been having it for couple of months now. Had it in the past usually few days after bleed or something but this is usually brown all the time. Well not ever single ccough but at least once a day. Not huge but wont clear. I recently had blood tests and x ray and sputum sample given and nothing grew - then it was suggested I go to gastrologist to have endescope which had and nothing showed. I do have sliding hiatus hernia but it was not thought the problem. I do have an upper lobe cavity and cultured mac but was put on anti biotics for nearly 3 years and so far so good. What the hell is it why is it still coming up. I get few days when it doesnt but then out the blue it is back again.

C

caza

Has anyone had this recently. I have been having it for couple of months now. Had it in the past usually few days after bleed or something but this is usually brown all the time. Well not ever single ccough but at least once a day. Not huge but wont clear. I recently had blood tests and x ray and sputum sample given and nothing grew - then it was suggested I go to gastrologist to have endescope which had and nothing showed. I do have sliding hiatus hernia but it was not thought the problem. I do have an upper lobe cavity and cultured mac but was put on anti biotics for nearly 3 years and so far so good. What the hell is it why is it still coming up. I get few days when it doesnt but then out the blue it is back again.

vvgogh

I would be interested to find an answer to this also. I noticed the brown sputum yesterday and it concerned me too. I wondered if it had any correlation to Prednisone?

vvgogh

I would be interested to find an answer to this also. I noticed the brown sputum yesterday and it concerned me too. I wondered if it had any correlation to Prednisone?

vvgogh

Giggles

I tend to cough up brown and tan sputum and I was always told and thought it was a sign of infection. My sputum is always in the tan family....<br>

Giggles

I tend to cough up brown and tan sputum and I was always told and thought it was a sign of infection. My sputum is always in the tan family....<br>

Giggles

hmw

Re. connection to Prednisone~ yes, I believe indirectly. It doesn't cause the color (it is old blood), but if it's opening things up down there by reducing inflammation you are able to get up more of the old junk that's been stuck down there. Emily coughs up brown stuff when she's very sick and we see large amounts of it once she's a couple days into a Prednisone burst and able to cough more productively.

hmw

Re. connection to Prednisone~ yes, I believe indirectly. It doesn't cause the color (it is old blood), but if it's opening things up down there by reducing inflammation you are able to get up more of the old junk that's been stuck down there. Emily coughs up brown stuff when she's very sick and we see large amounts of it once she's a couple days into a Prednisone burst and able to cough more productively.

hmw

Hardak

Brown/black is likely aged blood. think of a scab and the color it looks like, then toss a little green in to the color mix... wow sounds like art class all over again!!

Hardak

Brown/black is likely aged blood. think of a scab and the color it looks like, then toss a little green in to the color mix... wow sounds like art class all over again!!