celiac disease

amoo74

I was diagnosed with CF at a day old. I had a bowel obstruction and then an illiostomy to fix that. I never had lung problems until I was almost a teenager. I am 32 now. My younger sister is now having problems with her stomach and it sounds very much like her symptoms are similar to celiac disease. Although she has yet to take a test for it. My siblings have all tested negative for CF.

The question I have is do any CF patients also have celiac disease? I know there was a time when CF was misdiagnosed as celiac disease. However, that was years ago from what I understand. I am just curious about this and wonder if I should be concerned about any family tendency for this additional illness.

Thanks for any help you could offer.

Amy

amoo74

I was diagnosed with CF at a day old. I had a bowel obstruction and then an illiostomy to fix that. I never had lung problems until I was almost a teenager. I am 32 now. My younger sister is now having problems with her stomach and it sounds very much like her symptoms are similar to celiac disease. Although she has yet to take a test for it. My siblings have all tested negative for CF.

The question I have is do any CF patients also have celiac disease? I know there was a time when CF was misdiagnosed as celiac disease. However, that was years ago from what I understand. I am just curious about this and wonder if I should be concerned about any family tendency for this additional illness.

Amy

amoo74

Amy

kayleesgrandma

Funny, at Kaylee's last dr. visit, they said they suspected celiac--I need to find out more about it. Have you tried the "search" box?

kayleesgrandma

Funny, at Kaylee's last dr. visit, they said they suspected celiac--I need to find out more about it. Have you tried the "search" box?

kayleesgrandma

amoo74

Thanks, I did try the search box, but nothing came up. There are just a lot of similar characteristics of CF and celiac when it comes to the pancrease. So anybody else that has heard this, I would love to hear from.

I appreciate it.

amoo74

Thanks, I did try the search box, but nothing came up. There are just a lot of similar characteristics of CF and celiac when it comes to the pancrease. So anybody else that has heard this, I would love to hear from.

I appreciate it.

amoo74

I appreciate it.

KrazyKat

I was also diagnosed as a child with Celiac Disease after throwing a false negative on my sweat test (they burned me with the electrodes).
I remember my mum and I baking special bread and stuff to try and counteract this bogus diagnosis....and no prizes for guessing...it made absolutely no difference!!!
Celiac Disease is essentially from what I understand, an allergy to gluten, hence so many gluten free products being available today as awareness of celiac increases.
Surely there is a test the doctors can do these days to actually prove or disprove gluten as the problem???? I know in my case back in about 1975 it was basically guesswork, but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't form a definite diagnosis these days.

KrazyKat

I was also diagnosed as a child with Celiac Disease after throwing a false negative on my sweat test (they burned me with the electrodes).
I remember my mum and I baking special bread and stuff to try and counteract this bogus diagnosis....and no prizes for guessing...it made absolutely no difference!!!
Celiac Disease is essentially from what I understand, an allergy to gluten, hence so many gluten free products being available today as awareness of celiac increases.
Surely there is a test the doctors can do these days to actually prove or disprove gluten as the problem???? I know in my case back in about 1975 it was basically guesswork, but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't form a definite diagnosis these days.

KrazyKat

Momtana

my husband has Celiac Disease - it can be confirmed with a blood test or a biopsy from the small intestines IF the person being tested is eating food with gluten. If the person has already stopped eating gluten the tests may not be positive.

Momtana

my husband has Celiac Disease - it can be confirmed with a blood test or a biopsy from the small intestines IF the person being tested is eating food with gluten. If the person has already stopped eating gluten the tests may not be positive.

Momtana

kybert

yep, if you suspect celiac disease get a blood test. nothing worse than when people go and self diagnose themselves with celiac.

kybert

yep, if you suspect celiac disease get a blood test. nothing worse than when people go and self diagnose themselves with celiac.

kybert

miesl

Well, I can answer the one question...

Yes, there are patients with both CF and celiac. At one of the MN CF conferences, we met a parent who had a child with both.

miesl

Well, I can answer the one question...

Yes, there are patients with both CF and celiac. At one of the MN CF conferences, we met a parent who had a child with both.