CF and exercise at the NNECFC meeting

NancyLKF

Hi... Just went to a conference on CF and exercise and I thought I'd share some of the more important things I learned. Some of you probably know this, but...

There aren't many studies done on this topic, but there was one done in the early 90s (or late 80s). of those who participated, the CFers who exercised regularly were <b>6x</b> more likely to still be ALIVE after 8 years.Exercise programs increase VO2 and those with a higher VO2 have a higher rate of survival.
Also - when exercising, the nasal potential difference / electrical charge in the nose of CFers went from too high to normal. NPD is a better way of diagnosising CF than the sweat test.
CFers will be limited by ventilatory factors rather than cardiac, but with time can improve their abilities.
This is the basic of what I took away from the weekend. Exercise needs to be part of a CFers lifestyle. The recommendations in US is 60 minutes a day. In Canada it is 90 minutes. They mentioned that if your CF child is scheduled PE every other day, you should include in the 504 plan that they need PE everyday.
Obviously, everyone should talk to their doctor before starting an exercise program.

NancyLKF

Hi... Just went to a conference on CF and exercise and I thought I'd share some of the more important things I learned. Some of you probably know this, but...

There aren't many studies done on this topic, but there was one done in the early 90s (or late 80s). of those who participated, the CFers who exercised regularly were <b>6x</b> more likely to still be ALIVE after 8 years.Exercise programs increase VO2 and those with a higher VO2 have a higher rate of survival.
Also - when exercising, the nasal potential difference / electrical charge in the nose of CFers went from too high to normal. NPD is a better way of diagnosising CF than the sweat test.
CFers will be limited by ventilatory factors rather than cardiac, but with time can improve their abilities.
This is the basic of what I took away from the weekend. Exercise needs to be part of a CFers lifestyle. The recommendations in US is 60 minutes a day. In Canada it is 90 minutes. They mentioned that if your CF child is scheduled PE every other day, you should include in the 504 plan that they need PE everyday.
Obviously, everyone should talk to their doctor before starting an exercise program.

NancyLKF

NancyLKF

NancyLKF

<br />
<br />There aren't many studies done on this topic, but there was one done in the early 90s (or late 80s). of those who participated, the CFers who exercised regularly were <b>6x</b> more likely to still be ALIVE after 8 years.Exercise programs increase VO2 and those with a higher VO2 have a higher rate of survival.
<br />Also - when exercising, the nasal potential difference / electrical charge in the nose of CFers went from too high to normal. NPD is a better way of diagnosising CF than the sweat test.
<br />CFers will be limited by ventilatory factors rather than cardiac, but with time can improve their abilities.
<br />This is the basic of what I took away from the weekend. Exercise needs to be part of a CFers lifestyle. The recommendations in US is 60 minutes a day. In Canada it is 90 minutes. They mentioned that if your CF child is scheduled PE every other day, you should include in the 504 plan that they need PE everyday.
<br />Obviously, everyone should talk to their doctor before starting an exercise program.
<br />

Cerulean

Do you know what kind of exercise is recommended? Aerobic (biking) or anaerobic (lifting weights)? Or is it just activity in general, as some experts think being active (nonsedintary) is exercise in of itself.

Cerulean

Do you know what kind of exercise is recommended? Aerobic (biking) or anaerobic (lifting weights)? Or is it just activity in general, as some experts think being active (nonsedintary) is exercise in of itself.

Cerulean

Cerulean

Cerulean

NancyLKF

Hi James: it's aerobic a few days a week like biking, swimming, etc. weight training a few days a week to build BMI and flexiblity stretching everyday.

NancyLKF

Hi James: it's aerobic a few days a week like biking, swimming, etc. weight training a few days a week to build BMI and flexiblity stretching everyday.

NancyLKF

NancyLKF

NancyLKF