CF Liver Disease - Any Therapies in the Pipeline

BlueTurtle

Do any of these potential therapies affect the DIGESTIVE aspect of this disease?

http://www.cff.org/research/DrugDevelopmentPipeline/

Understand that the focus is on the lungs, but there is something out there called CF Liver Disease....there must be SOME focus on that.

BlueTurtle

Do any of these potential therapies affect the DIGESTIVE aspect of this disease?

Understand that the focus is on the lungs, but there is something out there called CF Liver Disease....there must be SOME focus on that.

BlueTurtle

NoExcuses

well, it's hard enough to solve the problem that kills most CFers - lung disease. there are only 30,000 of us in the US so drug development monetary incentive just isn't there.

a focus on liver disease that affects a small % of CFers..... the #s are just so small so I wouldn't hold my breath for new drugs with that type of focus....

NoExcuses

well, it's hard enough to solve the problem that kills most CFers - lung disease. there are only 30,000 of us in the US so drug development monetary incentive just isn't there.

a focus on liver disease that affects a small % of CFers..... the #s are just so small so I wouldn't hold my breath for new drugs with that type of focus....

NoExcuses

BlueTurtle

So with that thinking...we should only focus money and therapies on "lung cancer" and not pancreatic cancer? After all, it would be more profitable....What we should be focusing on the disease as a whole? If we are correcting the defect and/or chloride channel...would that not effect ALL CF related issues? CF Liver disease is a lot more common than we think. A lot of CFers have elevated liver enzyme levels...that is CF Liver disease....

BlueTurtle

So with that thinking...we should only focus money and therapies on "lung cancer" and not pancreatic cancer? After all, it would be more profitable....What we should be focusing on the disease as a whole? If we are correcting the defect and/or chloride channel...would that not effect ALL CF related issues? CF Liver disease is a lot more common than we think. A lot of CFers have elevated liver enzyme levels...that is CF Liver disease....

BlueTurtle

NoExcuses

don't shoot the messanger...... i'm just telling you how it is......

but ya, drug companies do focus more on lung cancer than pancreatic cancer. and in that respect, the CF Foundation is going to throw money at the most common cause of death for CF patients which is lung disease.

NoExcuses

but ya, drug companies do focus more on lung cancer than pancreatic cancer. and in that respect, the CF Foundation is going to throw money at the most common cause of death for CF patients which is lung disease.

NoExcuses

BlueTurtle

I understand that way of thinking...but it should not negate research into the digestive aspect. Think about this: we solve the lung issues...we increase the lifespans of people with CF....but now we get into our thirties and forties and fifties and sixties.....doesn't the CFF think that a pancrease that has atrophied and/or a liver that has been stressed with thick bile will need to be researched? That is what the future holds....other complications that will need to be researched....how can we correct the chloride channel for the digestive system?

BlueTurtle

I understand that way of thinking...but it should not negate research into the digestive aspect. Think about this: we solve the lung issues...we increase the lifespans of people with CF....but now we get into our thirties and forties and fifties and sixties.....doesn't the CFF think that a pancrease that has atrophied and/or a liver that has been stressed with thick bile will need to be researched? That is what the future holds....other complications that will need to be researched....how can we correct the chloride channel for the digestive system?

BlueTurtle

NoExcuses

we 1st have to get people into their 40s and 50s..... people are dying in their 20s & 30s.

who cares if the pancrease atrophies in the 40s & 50s when the vast majority of us aren't even getting to that age....

you can debate your point of view all day long, but the CFF doesn't agree with you and isn't using the research money that way....

NoExcuses

we 1st have to get people into their 40s and 50s..... people are dying in their 20s & 30s.

who cares if the pancrease atrophies in the 40s & 50s when the vast majority of us aren't even getting to that age....

you can debate your point of view all day long, but the CFF doesn't agree with you and isn't using the research money that way....

NoExcuses

BlueTurtle

You can GET people to that age...but without a proper digestive system...it won't matter. We are talking QUALITY of life as well. And how do you know the CF foundation doesn't see it this way? I cannot believe they do not have a DIGESTIVE research team, that would be completely insane...it is a HUGE part of this disease. Most doctors will tell you that an unhealthy digestion can affect everything in the body, including the immune system. Something CFers need with all the antibiotics and therapies they are on.

BlueTurtle

You can GET people to that age...but without a proper digestive system...it won't matter. We are talking QUALITY of life as well. And how do you know the CF foundation doesn't see it this way? I cannot believe they do not have a DIGESTIVE research team, that would be completely insane...it is a HUGE part of this disease. Most doctors will tell you that an unhealthy digestion can affect everything in the body, including the immune system. Something CFers need with all the antibiotics and therapies they are on.