CF'er Character

anonymous

I am writing a novel in which one of the main characters is a 16 year old male with CF at a boarding school. I know, I know, just work with me here. What details should I include? I am well-informed about CF but not from the inside out...

NoDayButToday

I'm guessing thats to say that you don't have CF? Either way, a few tips:1) Maybe its just me, but I rarely have big, deep, life discussions with my friends about CF. We talk more about day to day stuff (obnoxious hospital roommates, dumb nurses etc).2) I can do almost anything my friends can. Just because I have CF doesn't mean I'm knocking on death's door and toeing a precarious line my whole life (see Lurlene McDaniel novels to see what I mean).3) I do, however, do treatments that can be a pain every morning and every night, more often if I'm sick. But, the people who live with me don't dwell on it, or even think twice about it- neither would roommates at school. 4) I'm small for age, have clubbed (rounded, bulbous) finger and toe nails, sometimes ugly side effects from medicines, and a slight barrel chest (rounded chest). Not exactly the hugest self confidence boosters in terms of appearance, and I'm sure being small would be much worse if I were a guy.Just some pointers, I don't even know if you wanted information like this, just throwing out ideas. Good luck

HollyCatheryn

Though it was a while ago, I was once a teen and I was very much like other teens. I loved my family, liked and did well in school, but I also enjoyed a bit of rebellion. I suffered for my indiscretions a little more harshly than my peers (sleep loss or neglecting my meds resulting in antibiotics, IV's and hospital stays). I started a job when I was 16 and enjoyed the responsiblitiy and freedom of working, but found that certain jobs (namely food service) were at times comically incompatible with CF - think a coughing fit over a patron's steak dinner. But, I did gain some weight when I worked at an ice cream shop! I find that my friends with CF (with whom I've grown up) and I tend to be more mature in some ways. Thinking much earlier about what we want to be or do, being more serious in dating relationships than peers without CF, handling more adult issues like life and death, gain and loss - sometimes it is a maturity that is difficult to quantify. But, at the same time, we struggle to balance that very necessary maturity with immaturity so that we can more easilty relate to peers. So, you'll see a teen with CF who is very aware of themselves and is at home with adults and professionals, shrug off their treatments and try a cigarette while sneaking out after curfew. We are at times a strange dichotomy. We are almost always very empathic and loyal - especially to others with significant struggles - and very passionate. We love deeply and fight fiercly and hope tenaciously and often suffer the depression that accompanies such intensity. Sometimes we are in more of a hurry as teens to do grow up or adult things because there is that small (or not so small) voice in the back of our minds telling us that time may be running out.That is a rather blanket description of what I've found to be common among us, but feel free to write me for more or to contradict me.

anonymous

HollyCatheryn, As the mom of a young CF child I found this very informative. I did not send the original post but thanks for your honesty. I will keep this in mind as my daughter grows up. Being a teen is hard enough without CF and I hope I keep this in mind when she hits those weird years.Heather