Chest Pain

rtbobbitt

Hi! New here - My daughter was diagnosed with CF last August at the age of 15. What a learing experience our family has had! Anyway, for about the last couple of months she has been experiencing quite a bit of stomach and chest pain. <b>Is this "normal?" </b>I don't think it's acid reflux, as she takes a daily dose of prescription brand Prilosec. Also, two months ago her enzyme dosage was upped. She isn't coughing more than usual (not a lot) and she isn't spitting up any blood. Should I be worried. The doctor didn't seem to be too concerned. I would REALLY appreciate any advice.

rtbobbitt

Hi! New here - My daughter was diagnosed with CF last August at the age of 15. What a learing experience our family has had! Anyway, for about the last couple of months she has been experiencing quite a bit of stomach and chest pain. <b>Is this "normal?" </b>I don't think it's acid reflux, as she takes a daily dose of prescription brand Prilosec. Also, two months ago her enzyme dosage was upped. She isn't coughing more than usual (not a lot) and she isn't spitting up any blood. Should I be worried. The doctor didn't seem to be too concerned. I would REALLY appreciate any advice.

rtbobbitt

rtbobbitt

rtbobbitt

M

meggzzie

Here, chest pain is a bit of a loose term. Stomach pain could be anything too. You shouldn't rule out problems with enzymes straight away, and obviously getting used to taking enzymes with each meal is easy for ANY cfer, and of course causes annoying tummy pain for a day or so.

I wouldn't want to make assumptions on the chest pain, but it may simply be to do with coughing, or side effects from treatments (I know some people can get a tight chest feeling for several reasons, such as side effects from nebs, or for lack of doing treatments)

Hope you're daughter is OK and you're all coping well with the CF rollercoaster

M

meggzzie

Here, chest pain is a bit of a loose term. Stomach pain could be anything too. You shouldn't rule out problems with enzymes straight away, and obviously getting used to taking enzymes with each meal is easy for ANY cfer, and of course causes annoying tummy pain for a day or so.

I wouldn't want to make assumptions on the chest pain, but it may simply be to do with coughing, or side effects from treatments (I know some people can get a tight chest feeling for several reasons, such as side effects from nebs, or for lack of doing treatments)

M

meggzzie

M

meggzzie

M

meggzzie

<br />
<br />I wouldn't want to make assumptions on the chest pain, but it may simply be to do with coughing, or side effects from treatments (I know some people can get a tight chest feeling for several reasons, such as side effects from nebs, or for lack of doing treatments)
<br />
<br />Hope you're daughter is OK and you're all coping well with the CF rollercoaster

busyscmom

My daughter has intestinal blockages periodically that can cause debilitating pain. She got the first one in 1st grade and missed the first week of school. One doctor thought it could be appendicitis and it took several days of tests before our family doctor finally called the pulmonologist. My daughter still gets the blockages on the lower right side where the small intestine merges into the large one. She takes Miralax every night to help prevent it, but she still gets them. When she does, she'll take a dose of Miralax every hour until she has a clear bowel movement. That can take up to 2 days. She sees a gastroenterologist, but he says there's not much that can be done and is just part of having CF. She has the distended abdomen that some others with CF report.
As far as chest pain, she sometimes reports that she feels like knifes are stabbing her in the chest when she breathes in. Her pulmonologist doesn't seem concerned about it.

Best of luck as you adjust to the life of CF!!

busyscmom

My daughter has intestinal blockages periodically that can cause debilitating pain. She got the first one in 1st grade and missed the first week of school. One doctor thought it could be appendicitis and it took several days of tests before our family doctor finally called the pulmonologist. My daughter still gets the blockages on the lower right side where the small intestine merges into the large one. She takes Miralax every night to help prevent it, but she still gets them. When she does, she'll take a dose of Miralax every hour until she has a clear bowel movement. That can take up to 2 days. She sees a gastroenterologist, but he says there's not much that can be done and is just part of having CF. She has the distended abdomen that some others with CF report.
As far as chest pain, she sometimes reports that she feels like knifes are stabbing her in the chest when she breathes in. Her pulmonologist doesn't seem concerned about it.

busyscmom

busyscmom

busyscmom

<br />As far as chest pain, she sometimes reports that she feels like knifes are stabbing her in the chest when she breathes in. Her pulmonologist doesn't seem concerned about it.
<br />
<br />Best of luck as you adjust to the life of CF!!

LittleFlav

I get chest and stomach pains. Stomach pains usually occur for me after i eat greasy foods. My mom says that chest pains can happen if you get a mucus plug in one of your air ways so that could be causing you daughters chest pains.

LittleFlav

I get chest and stomach pains. Stomach pains usually occur for me after i eat greasy foods. My mom says that chest pains can happen if you get a mucus plug in one of your air ways so that could be causing you daughters chest pains.

LittleFlav

LittleFlav

LittleFlav