Cleaning nebulizer cups

Bubbalove

Hi again.. one more question.. how do you properly clean your nebulizer cups to ensure that all of the pseudonomas/staff infection may be killed off? I recently bought a baby bottle sterilizer and it states on the box "sterilizes household germs". Do you think that this is sufficient enough or are pseudonomas/staff infections harder to kill off than "household germs"?

Thanks again!

rcq925

We have the PARI LC Nebs and I wash them with warm water and antibacterial dish soap after every use then I boil them on a pan on the stove for 10 full minutes and let them air dry.

supermanfan

I always soaked mine in a vinigar/water combination.

<EDIT> I change that: My mom always used vinegar.. that's what she was told to use 30 years ago... Anyways see my next post to see more details <END EDIT>

princessjdc

I heard that vinegar isnt a good idea to do that anymore, cause it grows some kind of bug. What I do is 1. I either wait and put all of them in the dishwasher to wash 2. use warm water, antibacterial soap and a brush to clean them also I let them air dry also 3. I boil all of them for prolly 10 min and i let them air dry.I also use the Pari LC Nebulizers.

Umm....Austin wanted me to ask if he can use a glass bowl and water and microwave it? If he can...how long, long enough to boil it? He usually washes it with VERY hot water and lets it air dry.

CFTwins

I just posted a similar question on the family page too. The CF Foundation has a paper on it at <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/living_with_cf/Files/Respiratory%20--%20Stopping%20the%20Spread%20of%20Germs.pdf.">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/living_with_cf/Files/Respiratory%20--%20Stopping%20the%20Spread%20of%20Germs.pdf.</a>

But it doesn't say anything about the mouth mask for little ones. ANd the mfg. directions say that you can't boil that. Any ideas? Thanks.

princessjdc

This might help I found this at a cf site, actually its the place where I get my meds from, so here are two attacments for "How To Properly Clean Your Nebulizers"

or if what I sent ya was tooo small, which I think it is, here is the site I got it from

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cf-solutions.org/">Text</a>

Its at the bottom of the Page in "Blue" just click on that.

Hope this answers your questions

wallflower

Microwaving the nebs will not sterilize them. It will make the water hot, but it is not the same as handwashing or boiling (or dishwasher).

I was recently at a cf conference where we talked out cleaning nebs in a breakout sesson, and this question came up. It would be nice if it worked, but I find it doesn't really take all that long to boil the nebs. I keep a small pan on the stove all the time that I use - just wash, pop it in the pan, come back on a commercial break and volia!

The therapist there also said that you don't need to wash or rinse the cups inbetween nebs on the same day. Just shake out the exta and set aside (and clean at the end of the day). It sounds like a great time saver, but I just can't bring myself to do it - I have to rinse them after each one or it grosses me out.

supermanfan

<blockquote>Quote
<hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>princessjdc</b></i>
I heard that vinegar isnt a good idea to do that anymore, cause it grows some kind of bug. What I do is 1. I either wait and put all of them in the dishwasher to wash 2. use warm water, antibacterial soap and a brush to clean them also I let them air dry also 3. I boil all of them for prolly 10 min and i let them air dry.I also use the Pari LC Nebulizers.<hr></blockquote>

I believe that is true... my mom had been told about the vinegar thing. When I moved out of my parent's house I quite the vinegar thing... and washed it at the sink... I always dried it with a paper towel because air drying can cause things in the air to get on it. The air is full of ick. Also I would recommend paper towel drying it. Once a hand towel has been used it is dirty, and shouldn't be used on something that needs to be kept sterilizing.

anonymous

Hi,

the baby bottle sterilizer is the right thing to do it and the easiest. Here in Germany most of us use it! If you want to do everything "a-hundred-percent" put it under warm water first, use the sterilizer afterward and let the nebulizer dry on a clean surface or dry it witha clean towel/papertowel.

Uli,43,Germany,cf/cfrd

Faust

Just use a strong rolling boil for 30 mins in a large saucepan, works great. Avoid using tap water to "rinse" your cups, because there is bacteria in tap water also, you could possibly be reinfecting. Make sure your cups are strong enough to boil, like the pari's.