CMV Issus

Liza

Hi again, I am waiting to hear back from Jerrold. But in the mean time, I found the name of the med. that Anna was on right after transplant. This may be what they are putting you on now.

She was on Cytogam. She had it soon after tx, then at the 2,4,6,8,12 and 16th week post tx. During this time she also was taking the Valcyte. I was wrong abuot the time it took though, it was three hours for the infusion and once it must have taken 4 because she kept itching, so they slowed it down even more. Then at her annual appt. because she had not had any occurances of CMV they switched her from Valycte to Acyclovir. She just had an episode of A4 rejection and they put her back on the Valcyte.

How they have treated your CMV really shows the difference in protocol at the different transplant centers. Perhaps asking them about staying on the Valcyte for longer than the 6 months. Of course they may be worried about additional possiblity of side effects from being on the Valcyte longer. Every patient is different so their reasoning may be due to how your other blod work looks and your kidney function. As with all the meds tx patients are on, it's like a give and take situation. But it might be worth asking them about staying on the Valcyte longer, if that is a problem.

When Anna was put on V-Fend for Aspergillus it was temporary, but by the time they wanted to finish up the course she was home from school. V-Fend makes your Prograff (tacrolimus) levels go high so that has to be readjusted, which takes weeks. Well the reverse happens when you go off, it's too low. When Anna is home she is in a different insurance region and can't get routine stuff done, like blood work. So I asked them if she could just stay on it until summer was over. At firs they didn't wanto to leave her on it for that long but after talking with the tx doc. they called back and said it would be fine for her to stay on it for an additional month and a half. And low and behold she's back on it since the rejection episode last month.

Guess, that's it for now.

Liza

Hi again, I am waiting to hear back from Jerrold. But in the mean time, I found the name of the med. that Anna was on right after transplant. This may be what they are putting you on now.

She was on Cytogam. She had it soon after tx, then at the 2,4,6,8,12 and 16th week post tx. During this time she also was taking the Valcyte. I was wrong abuot the time it took though, it was three hours for the infusion and once it must have taken 4 because she kept itching, so they slowed it down even more. Then at her annual appt. because she had not had any occurances of CMV they switched her from Valycte to Acyclovir. She just had an episode of A4 rejection and they put her back on the Valcyte.

How they have treated your CMV really shows the difference in protocol at the different transplant centers. Perhaps asking them about staying on the Valcyte for longer than the 6 months. Of course they may be worried about additional possiblity of side effects from being on the Valcyte longer. Every patient is different so their reasoning may be due to how your other blod work looks and your kidney function. As with all the meds tx patients are on, it's like a give and take situation. But it might be worth asking them about staying on the Valcyte longer, if that is a problem.

When Anna was put on V-Fend for Aspergillus it was temporary, but by the time they wanted to finish up the course she was home from school. V-Fend makes your Prograff (tacrolimus) levels go high so that has to be readjusted, which takes weeks. Well the reverse happens when you go off, it's too low. When Anna is home she is in a different insurance region and can't get routine stuff done, like blood work. So I asked them if she could just stay on it until summer was over. At firs they didn't wanto to leave her on it for that long but after talking with the tx doc. they called back and said it would be fine for her to stay on it for an additional month and a half. And low and behold she's back on it since the rejection episode last month.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />She was on Cytogam. She had it soon after tx, then at the 2,4,6,8,12 and 16th week post tx. During this time she also was taking the Valcyte. I was wrong abuot the time it took though, it was three hours for the infusion and once it must have taken 4 because she kept itching, so they slowed it down even more. Then at her annual appt. because she had not had any occurances of CMV they switched her from Valycte to Acyclovir. She just had an episode of A4 rejection and they put her back on the Valcyte.
<br />
<br />How they have treated your CMV really shows the difference in protocol at the different transplant centers. Perhaps asking them about staying on the Valcyte for longer than the 6 months. Of course they may be worried about additional possiblity of side effects from being on the Valcyte longer. Every patient is different so their reasoning may be due to how your other blod work looks and your kidney function. As with all the meds tx patients are on, it's like a give and take situation. But it might be worth asking them about staying on the Valcyte longer, if that is a problem.
<br />
<br />When Anna was put on V-Fend for Aspergillus it was temporary, but by the time they wanted to finish up the course she was home from school. V-Fend makes your Prograff (tacrolimus) levels go high so that has to be readjusted, which takes weeks. Well the reverse happens when you go off, it's too low. When Anna is home she is in a different insurance region and can't get routine stuff done, like blood work. So I asked them if she could just stay on it until summer was over. At firs they didn't wanto to leave her on it for that long but after talking with the tx doc. they called back and said it would be fine for her to stay on it for an additional month and a half. And low and behold she's back on it since the rejection episode last month.
<br />
<br />Guess, that's it for now.

Liza

Hi again Karla, my friend had CMV 3 times in his first year. He said he had a picc line for 9 months. He also said that he thinks a large part of it was trying to find the right meds. to do the trick. He didn't say so I am assuming that he hasn't had anymore episodes since Dec.'07.

I hope they find what works for you.

Liza

Hi again Karla, my friend had CMV 3 times in his first year. He said he had a picc line for 9 months. He also said that he thinks a large part of it was trying to find the right meds. to do the trick. He didn't say so I am assuming that he hasn't had anymore episodes since Dec.'07.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />I hope they find what works for you.

cutiepatootie

Hi Liza, thanks for getting back to me on all of that, I really appreciate it. They have left me on Valcyte longer at times when I go up to Winnipeg different province so its hard to get blood work done there health insurance reasons. I also have issus with my white blood cell count when I am on Valcyte it always goes dangerously. I know the meds. we are on makes our white blood cell count low as it is, but it goes way lower that it should. My kidneys are great I've been told, I know thats one think they have to worry about. Sorry to here that your daughter had an episode of rejection, is she feeling better now?

Karla

cutiepatootie

Hi Liza, thanks for getting back to me on all of that, I really appreciate it. They have left me on Valcyte longer at times when I go up to Winnipeg different province so its hard to get blood work done there health insurance reasons. I also have issus with my white blood cell count when I am on Valcyte it always goes dangerously. I know the meds. we are on makes our white blood cell count low as it is, but it goes way lower that it should. My kidneys are great I've been told, I know thats one think they have to worry about. Sorry to here that your daughter had an episode of rejection, is she feeling better now?

Karla

cutiepatootie

Karla

cutiepatootie

Karla

cutiepatootie

Karla

Liza

Hi Karla, Thanks for asking, she is doing much better. She will head back to Stanford for a follow up in another week for a repeat bronch to make sure it is indeed stopped/gone.

Aaahhh, if your white cell count keeps going so low while you are on Valcyte then I see why they don't want to keep you on it for too long. My Anna had that issue with that a few months back (during a kidney stones issue) and they stopped her cellcept and valcyte for a little bit then resumed her her cellcept at a much lower dose but her white cell count ended up dropping again so they had to lower it yet again. She has finally gotten back up on the cellcept to 750mg (she was originally on 1000 twice a day) twice a day and she's back on the valcyte. All seems to be good right now. Anyway....

I certainly hope they are able to find the correct cocktail for you and keep the CMV away. And boy do I know the whole insurance region issue! What a pain it can cause. For us its the same darn insurance co. just a different state, my goodness. But I really can't complain, we are really fortunate to have really good insurance.

Keep me posted on how your doing will you? I hope it stays away now.

Liza

Hi Karla, Thanks for asking, she is doing much better. She will head back to Stanford for a follow up in another week for a repeat bronch to make sure it is indeed stopped/gone.

Aaahhh, if your white cell count keeps going so low while you are on Valcyte then I see why they don't want to keep you on it for too long. My Anna had that issue with that a few months back (during a kidney stones issue) and they stopped her cellcept and valcyte for a little bit then resumed her her cellcept at a much lower dose but her white cell count ended up dropping again so they had to lower it yet again. She has finally gotten back up on the cellcept to 750mg (she was originally on 1000 twice a day) twice a day and she's back on the valcyte. All seems to be good right now. Anyway....

I certainly hope they are able to find the correct cocktail for you and keep the CMV away. And boy do I know the whole insurance region issue! What a pain it can cause. For us its the same darn insurance co. just a different state, my goodness. But I really can't complain, we are really fortunate to have really good insurance.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />Aaahhh, if your white cell count keeps going so low while you are on Valcyte then I see why they don't want to keep you on it for too long. My Anna had that issue with that a few months back (during a kidney stones issue) and they stopped her cellcept and valcyte for a little bit then resumed her her cellcept at a much lower dose but her white cell count ended up dropping again so they had to lower it yet again. She has finally gotten back up on the cellcept to 750mg (she was originally on 1000 twice a day) twice a day and she's back on the valcyte. All seems to be good right now. Anyway....
<br />
<br />I certainly hope they are able to find the correct cocktail for you and keep the CMV away. And boy do I know the whole insurance region issue! What a pain it can cause. For us its the same darn insurance co. just a different state, my goodness. But I really can't complain, we are really fortunate to have really good insurance.
<br />
<br />Keep me posted on how your doing will you? I hope it stays away now.