Colds...Colds...I'm not liking this!

SARAHSARAH253

Hi there,

Well, Johnny started preschool at our local elementary school last month (3hrs a day). He loves it so much! No tears...He wakes up so excited. Only downside is we are on our 2nd cold this month! I know this doesn't sound like a big deal. But for our little man it is. Johnny only had one cold before starting PRK. I have kept him this week. Gave him pleanty of rest, and kept him comfortable. He has no cough just pouring clear snot. I haven't even called the CF team. Everyone says this is normal back to school stuff. I want to believe that, but none of those people have children kids w/cf. Does this get better?

Thanks,

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny 3 w/cf....bailey ONE YEAR NEXT WEEK

SARAHSARAH253

Hi there,

Well, Johnny started preschool at our local elementary school last month (3hrs a day). He loves it so much! No tears...He wakes up so excited. Only downside is we are on our 2nd cold this month! I know this doesn't sound like a big deal. But for our little man it is. Johnny only had one cold before starting PRK. I have kept him this week. Gave him pleanty of rest, and kept him comfortable. He has no cough just pouring clear snot. I haven't even called the CF team. Everyone says this is normal back to school stuff. I want to believe that, but none of those people have children kids w/cf. Does this get better?

Thanks,

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny 3 w/cf....bailey ONE YEAR NEXT WEEK

SARAHSARAH253

Hi there,
<br />
<br />Well, Johnny started preschool at our local elementary school last month (3hrs a day). He loves it so much! No tears...He wakes up so excited. Only downside is we are on our 2nd cold this month! I know this doesn't sound like a big deal. But for our little man it is. Johnny only had one cold before starting PRK. I have kept him this week. Gave him pleanty of rest, and kept him comfortable. He has no cough just pouring clear snot. I haven't even called the CF team. Everyone says this is normal back to school stuff. I want to believe that, but none of those people have children kids w/cf. Does this get better?
<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />
<br />Sarah
<br />
<br />Mommy to Johnny 3 w/cf....bailey ONE YEAR NEXT WEEK

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was diagnosed as a baby, his doctor mentioned that he's going to get colds and the number he mentioned in terms of how many colds children get each year kinda freaked me out. My primary concern was when I heard horror stories from people who said that their kid's cold turned into something worse.

Anyway, DS did get a couple colds, a couple ear infections early on and each time, I got a little more confident. Not so freaked out that it was going to be RSV, pneumonia.. The daycare director would always let us know what was going on in terms of illnesses and it seemed as if DS was the ONLY one who didn't get sick back then. So eventually they do get some immunity.

And if DS had a cold, no cough and was still active, not feverish. We'd let him continue on as is -- go to school/daycare. If he was out of sorts, overly tired...Just not himself, then we'd keep him home, give him extra fluids, extra treatments and get him to rest.

I still get a little edgy with the start of a stuffy nose. I keep track of respirations at rest, as that was always the first sign DS was maybe coming down with something other than a cold. I listen for a cough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was diagnosed as a baby, his doctor mentioned that he's going to get colds and the number he mentioned in terms of how many colds children get each year kinda freaked me out. My primary concern was when I heard horror stories from people who said that their kid's cold turned into something worse.

Anyway, DS did get a couple colds, a couple ear infections early on and each time, I got a little more confident. Not so freaked out that it was going to be RSV, pneumonia.. The daycare director would always let us know what was going on in terms of illnesses and it seemed as if DS was the ONLY one who didn't get sick back then. So eventually they do get some immunity.

And if DS had a cold, no cough and was still active, not feverish. We'd let him continue on as is -- go to school/daycare. If he was out of sorts, overly tired...Just not himself, then we'd keep him home, give him extra fluids, extra treatments and get him to rest.

I still get a little edgy with the start of a stuffy nose. I keep track of respirations at rest, as that was always the first sign DS was maybe coming down with something other than a cold. I listen for a cough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Anyway, DS did get a couple colds, a couple ear infections early on and each time, I got a little more confident. Not so freaked out that it was going to be RSV, pneumonia.. The daycare director would always let us know what was going on in terms of illnesses and it seemed as if DS was the ONLY one who didn't get sick back then. So eventually they do get some immunity.
<br />
<br />And if DS had a cold, no cough and was still active, not feverish. We'd let him continue on as is -- go to school/daycare. If he was out of sorts, overly tired...Just not himself, then we'd keep him home, give him extra fluids, extra treatments and get him to rest.
<br />
<br />I still get a little edgy with the start of a stuffy nose. I keep track of respirations at rest, as that was always the first sign DS was maybe coming down with something other than a cold. I listen for a cough.

M

Mommafirst

It is very normal for kids to be back at school and the colds to be rampantly shared amognst them. The good news is that Johnny is doing so well. Its not turning into a cough or settling in his lungs, so YAY, its just kid stuff. But I know your fear and it can turn very quickly. Another good news piece is that he needs to be exposed to these things to build his immunity. You can't keep him in a bubble and everyone gets colds.

Hopefully he'll keep faring as well as he had. Use purell at school, make sure he's good about washing his hands all the time and hang in there. He should do better when exposed to colds over time. Its not fun, but it sounds like he's a champ.

M

Mommafirst

It is very normal for kids to be back at school and the colds to be rampantly shared amognst them. The good news is that Johnny is doing so well. Its not turning into a cough or settling in his lungs, so YAY, its just kid stuff. But I know your fear and it can turn very quickly. Another good news piece is that he needs to be exposed to these things to build his immunity. You can't keep him in a bubble and everyone gets colds.

Hopefully he'll keep faring as well as he had. Use purell at school, make sure he's good about washing his hands all the time and hang in there. He should do better when exposed to colds over time. Its not fun, but it sounds like he's a champ.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Hopefully he'll keep faring as well as he had. Use purell at school, make sure he's good about washing his hands all the time and hang in there. He should do better when exposed to colds over time. Its not fun, but it sounds like he's a champ.