Coming from the backseat...

T

TonyaH

I was driving home from the grocery store today with my children in the van. We were talking about the upcoming hunting season and that Dad would be going. My daughter, (and animal lover), was upset with this and didn't want my husband to hurt a deer. I, although in complete agreement with her, explained that most hunters feel that most deer will die of starvation in the winter months anyway, so hunting them for food is okay. My son, without missing a beat, said.."That's like saying 'Oh, Andrew has CF and will die early anyway, so why not just get rid of him now.' "

I was stunned and at a loss for words. We spoke when we got home and I asked him if that's really how he felt about his CF,,,that he would die early. He said no, and that he knows his medicines will keep him healthy for a long time. But whoa!..Talk about a mental check! It makes you realize how much really goes on inside these kiddo's minds. I hope I'm doing as much to support his emotional health as I am his physical health.

T

TonyaH

I was driving home from the grocery store today with my children in the van. We were talking about the upcoming hunting season and that Dad would be going. My daughter, (and animal lover), was upset with this and didn't want my husband to hurt a deer. I, although in complete agreement with her, explained that most hunters feel that most deer will die of starvation in the winter months anyway, so hunting them for food is okay. My son, without missing a beat, said.."That's like saying 'Oh, Andrew has CF and will die early anyway, so why not just get rid of him now.' "

I was stunned and at a loss for words. We spoke when we got home and I asked him if that's really how he felt about his CF,,,that he would die early. He said no, and that he knows his medicines will keep him healthy for a long time. But whoa!..Talk about a mental check! It makes you realize how much really goes on inside these kiddo's minds. I hope I'm doing as much to support his emotional health as I am his physical health.

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />I was stunned and at a loss for words. We spoke when we got home and I asked him if that's really how he felt about his CF,,,that he would die early. He said no, and that he knows his medicines will keep him healthy for a long time. But whoa!..Talk about a mental check! It makes you realize how much really goes on inside these kiddo's minds. I hope I'm doing as much to support his emotional health as I am his physical health.

S

sdelorenzo

Wow. I am sure that was difficult to hear! Just this week my daughter mentioned dying early for the first time too. It is a hard conversation even with encouraging them.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 9 months no cf

S

sdelorenzo

Wow. I am sure that was difficult to hear! Just this week my daughter mentioned dying early for the first time too. It is a hard conversation even with encouraging them.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 9 months no cf

M

Mommafirst

Holy cow, Tonya, that would freak me out too. I'm sure they hear things we say when they aren't really listening and know that they take meds and do treatments that other kids don't -- but yowza -- that is a moment of incredible awareness. (((HUGS))) I'm sure you are supporting him in all the ways you can. He sounds like a bright and insightful kid.

M

Mommafirst

Holy cow, Tonya, that would freak me out too. I'm sure they hear things we say when they aren't really listening and know that they take meds and do treatments that other kids don't -- but yowza -- that is a moment of incredible awareness. (((HUGS))) I'm sure you are supporting him in all the ways you can. He sounds like a bright and insightful kid.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

JazzysMom

And how do you argue that???

Humans versus animals? All Gods creatures, right?

I, personally, love deer meat, but could never hunt it myself

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Humans versus animals? All Gods creatures, right?
<br />
<br />I, personally, love deer meat, but could never hunt it myself