Confused about Careers

upfrom31

I was just wondering if anyone out there is, or has had the same issue choosing where they want to head in life? I am so confused right now I dont even know what to do. I have already failed out of the University last year, and am supposed to go to a community college this January to be a mechanic for government motors. I am really starting to have second thoughts about going to school this January because I feel like working at the dealership the last few months has lead to me currently having to be on home IV's because of the longer hours and the standing all day. I'm used to working on the farm but for some reason this is taking it out of me worse than that ever did.

Could someone give me tips on how you chose where you wanted to go with life? I feel like i just havent found anything im good at, but i think it is because i am constantly comparing myself to other people. I also feel like i am trying to please alot of different people when my mind keep jumping back between possible options that are 180 degree changes in career paths. I enjoy learning new things, but i really feel like my mind is so much slower than that of other people my age. It just takes so damn long for stuff to stick in my mind, and that makes it really discuraging when i try to sit down and do assignments, and i cant even hardly understand what the questions are asking! Really I enjoy doing everything, and learning about everything. However, i really havent found myself being successful in anything. I dont know if i should give school a third try and hope for the luck (highschool was bad as well) or what i should do? Please someone give me some input!

upfrom31

I was just wondering if anyone out there is, or has had the same issue choosing where they want to head in life? I am so confused right now I dont even know what to do. I have already failed out of the University last year, and am supposed to go to a community college this January to be a mechanic for government motors. I am really starting to have second thoughts about going to school this January because I feel like working at the dealership the last few months has lead to me currently having to be on home IV's because of the longer hours and the standing all day. I'm used to working on the farm but for some reason this is taking it out of me worse than that ever did.

Could someone give me tips on how you chose where you wanted to go with life? I feel like i just havent found anything im good at, but i think it is because i am constantly comparing myself to other people. I also feel like i am trying to please alot of different people when my mind keep jumping back between possible options that are 180 degree changes in career paths. I enjoy learning new things, but i really feel like my mind is so much slower than that of other people my age. It just takes so damn long for stuff to stick in my mind, and that makes it really discuraging when i try to sit down and do assignments, and i cant even hardly understand what the questions are asking! Really I enjoy doing everything, and learning about everything. However, i really havent found myself being successful in anything. I dont know if i should give school a third try and hope for the luck (highschool was bad as well) or what i should do? Please someone give me some input!

upfrom31

upfrom31

upfrom31

<br />
<br />Could someone give me tips on how you chose where you wanted to go with life? I feel like i just havent found anything im good at, but i think it is because i am constantly comparing myself to other people. I also feel like i am trying to please alot of different people when my mind keep jumping back between possible options that are 180 degree changes in career paths. I enjoy learning new things, but i really feel like my mind is so much slower than that of other people my age. It just takes so damn long for stuff to stick in my mind, and that makes it really discuraging when i try to sit down and do assignments, and i cant even hardly understand what the questions are asking! Really I enjoy doing everything, and learning about everything. However, i really havent found myself being successful in anything. I dont know if i should give school a third try and hope for the luck (highschool was bad as well) or what i should do? Please someone give me some input!

maddie256

Ok you sound exactly like me and its so frustrating!!!
I just posted something on here about careers like 2 days ago because I was having like the same issue
as far as advice goes- i don't have much for you since im struggling as well but just keep in school and maybe try different subjects to see what you like best and what works with you.
Hopefully something good will come of that

Good Luck, and let me know how it goes single I'm in your boat

maddie256

I just posted something on here about careers like 2 days ago because I was having like the same issue
as far as advice goes- i don't have much for you since im struggling as well but just keep in school and maybe try different subjects to see what you like best and what works with you.

maddie256

maddie256

maddie256

<br />I just posted something on here about careers like 2 days ago because I was having like the same issue
<br />as far as advice goes- i don't have much for you since im struggling as well but just keep in school and maybe try different subjects to see what you like best and what works with you.
<br />Hopefully something good will come of that
<br />
<br />Good Luck, and let me know how it goes single I'm in your boat

Melissa75

Administrator
Well, this is a little related to the paper I wrote about CF, life stages and maturity.

A lot of people take decades to figure out what career really works for them (and different careers work at different times), but with CF you do not have the luxury of imagining decades and decades of career experimentation. Yes, you may actually live quite long, but this is not assumed for people with a life-threatening disease.

SO do you cram the identity and career experimentation stage into a smaller time frame? People with less certain life expectancy probably do, but it is not really possible to force yourself to be sure about something. You weren't saying that you wanted to. I am just agreeing that you are in a tough place.

I guess you have to try what feels right for you right now. Don't worry too much about picking wrong--the journey is what it is all about. (Easier said than done...)

Melissa75

Administrator
Well, this is a little related to the paper I wrote about CF, life stages and maturity.

A lot of people take decades to figure out what career really works for them (and different careers work at different times), but with CF you do not have the luxury of imagining decades and decades of career experimentation. Yes, you may actually live quite long, but this is not assumed for people with a life-threatening disease.

SO do you cram the identity and career experimentation stage into a smaller time frame? People with less certain life expectancy probably do, but it is not really possible to force yourself to be sure about something. You weren't saying that you wanted to. I am just agreeing that you are in a tough place.

I guess you have to try what feels right for you right now. Don't worry too much about picking wrong--the journey is what it is all about. (Easier said than done...)

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />A lot of people take decades to figure out what career really works for them (and different careers work at different times), but with CF you do not have the luxury of imagining decades and decades of career experimentation. Yes, you may actually live quite long, but this is not assumed for people with a life-threatening disease.
<br />
<br />SO do you cram the identity and career experimentation stage into a smaller time frame? People with less certain life expectancy probably do, but it is not really possible to force yourself to be sure about something. You weren't saying that you wanted to. I am just agreeing that you are in a tough place.
<br />
<br />I guess you have to try what feels right for you right now. Don't worry too much about picking wrong--the journey is what it is all about. (Easier said than done...)

flossymay

im in the same boat! i just posted a topic about this. right out of highschool i went to beauty school b/c it's something i always wanted to do. i went to school for a yeare and worked for a year doing hair. i was even givin the ok from my doc. it ended up causing me problmes. (b/c of all the chemicals) i was sick more often. so i had to quit.
so for the past year i've been stayin at home. i cant work b/c of insurance reasons. so i wanted to go back to school to get a good job so i can get good insurance. the university pretty much told me id do better in a community college. so that discouraged me. i also did bad in highschool and have a hard time with school. i just started my first week at national college. i was going to go for business. but decided to go for medical assisting. im not sure it's smart for me to get into. but it's the only thing they offer that interests me. i'm also very interested in the medical field since i've been sick my whole life and been in and out of hospitals. id like to just help sick people. so idk if i should change my major, b/c it could be risky for my health..or keep going b/c it's what i really want to do...

so im not sure what to tell you either. just stay in school, there's never too much education. you'll figure it out along the way!

flossymay

im in the same boat! i just posted a topic about this. right out of highschool i went to beauty school b/c it's something i always wanted to do. i went to school for a yeare and worked for a year doing hair. i was even givin the ok from my doc. it ended up causing me problmes. (b/c of all the chemicals) i was sick more often. so i had to quit.
so for the past year i've been stayin at home. i cant work b/c of insurance reasons. so i wanted to go back to school to get a good job so i can get good insurance. the university pretty much told me id do better in a community college. so that discouraged me. i also did bad in highschool and have a hard time with school. i just started my first week at national college. i was going to go for business. but decided to go for medical assisting. im not sure it's smart for me to get into. but it's the only thing they offer that interests me. i'm also very interested in the medical field since i've been sick my whole life and been in and out of hospitals. id like to just help sick people. so idk if i should change my major, b/c it could be risky for my health..or keep going b/c it's what i really want to do...

so im not sure what to tell you either. just stay in school, there's never too much education. you'll figure it out along the way!

flossymay

flossymay

flossymay

<br />so for the past year i've been stayin at home. i cant work b/c of insurance reasons. so i wanted to go back to school to get a good job so i can get good insurance. the university pretty much told me id do better in a community college. so that discouraged me. i also did bad in highschool and have a hard time with school. i just started my first week at national college. i was going to go for business. but decided to go for medical assisting. im not sure it's smart for me to get into. but it's the only thing they offer that interests me. i'm also very interested in the medical field since i've been sick my whole life and been in and out of hospitals. id like to just help sick people. so idk if i should change my major, b/c it could be risky for my health..or keep going b/c it's what i really want to do...
<br />
<br />so im not sure what to tell you either. just stay in school, there's never too much education. you'll figure it out along the way!