cough pillow?

musclemania70

After a relative had open heart surgery, his Dr. office gave him a 'coughing pillow' to use and hold on to in the chest area whenever he coughed. This was to protect the area and help the person get out a better cough by somehow using the pillow as 'leverage'.

Has anyone ever suggested this to you or have you ever tried one? I haven't seen the actual 'cough pillow' but I suppose it could be similar to the pillow you use to sleep on.

After trying to use a regular pillow on my chest, I found it very helpful in 'getting out the junk' because I could press my arms against it and actually 'push' out the mucus. Just wanted to share.

musclemania70

After a relative had open heart surgery, his Dr. office gave him a 'coughing pillow' to use and hold on to in the chest area whenever he coughed. This was to protect the area and help the person get out a better cough by somehow using the pillow as 'leverage'.

Has anyone ever suggested this to you or have you ever tried one? I haven't seen the actual 'cough pillow' but I suppose it could be similar to the pillow you use to sleep on.

After trying to use a regular pillow on my chest, I found it very helpful in 'getting out the junk' because I could press my arms against it and actually 'push' out the mucus. Just wanted to share.

musclemania70

musclemania70

musclemania70

<br />
<br />Has anyone ever suggested this to you or have you ever tried one? I haven't seen the actual 'cough pillow' but I suppose it could be similar to the pillow you use to sleep on.
<br />
<br />After trying to use a regular pillow on my chest, I found it very helpful in 'getting out the junk' because I could press my arms against it and actually 'push' out the mucus. Just wanted to share.

hbollotte

my grandma had a sir coughs a lot bear. it was a firm teddy bear that she held against her chest to cough. they sent it home from the hospital with it. i guess that would be similar to a cough pillow.

hbollotte

my grandma had a sir coughs a lot bear. it was a firm teddy bear that she held against her chest to cough. they sent it home from the hospital with it. i guess that would be similar to a cough pillow.

hbollotte

hbollotte

hbollotte

saveferris2009

I just folded over a fluffy pillow after I had my gallbladder surgery and held the pillow as tightly to my chest as I could when I coughed. It definitely helped!

saveferris2009

I just folded over a fluffy pillow after I had my gallbladder surgery and held the pillow as tightly to my chest as I could when I coughed. It definitely helped!

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

marisalynn

This is actually recommended a lot after surgery, especially if there is an abdominal incision. We usually call it a "splint". It creates less pressure on the incision while coughing and also helps to decrease the pain while coughing. A lot of times, people don't want to cough because they are in pain, but we obviously want people to cough because if they don't, it could create a pneumonia.
Sorry if I am simplifying things too much. I don't want to sound condescending! lol
Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

This is actually recommended a lot after surgery, especially if there is an abdominal incision. We usually call it a "splint". It creates less pressure on the incision while coughing and also helps to decrease the pain while coughing. A lot of times, people don't want to cough because they are in pain, but we obviously want people to cough because if they don't, it could create a pneumonia.
Sorry if I am simplifying things too much. I don't want to sound condescending! lol
Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

<br />Sorry if I am simplifying things too much. I don't want to sound condescending! lol
<br />Marisa RN, 21 w/CF