Coughing up blood?

Carrie101

Hi everyone!
Last night, my son coughed up a small amount of blood during his CPT. He had never coughed anything up before, and I was quite alarmed. Anyways, today's a holiday, and the clinic is closed (of course these things only ever happen on weekends and holidays!). I don't want to over react. Has anyone had this happen before? I guess I'm just wondering if I should be freaking out.
Thanks so much!

Carrie101

Hi everyone!
Last night, my son coughed up a small amount of blood during his CPT. He had never coughed anything up before, and I was quite alarmed. Anyways, today's a holiday, and the clinic is closed (of course these things only ever happen on weekends and holidays!). I don't want to over react. Has anyone had this happen before? I guess I'm just wondering if I should be freaking out.
Thanks so much!

Carrie101

Hi everyone!
<br />Last night, my son coughed up a small amount of blood during his CPT. He had never coughed anything up before, and I was quite alarmed. Anyways, today's a holiday, and the clinic is closed (of course these things only ever happen on weekends and holidays!). I don't want to over react. Has anyone had this happen before? I guess I'm just wondering if I should be freaking out.
<br />Thanks so much!

badcheesemomma

Hi there. Its nothing to be alarmed about (although much easier said than done). Its hemoptis, and its not unusual. Do they have an on call pulmonologist you could talk to? I would notifiy them as soon as you can. They say if its more than a few teaspoons to an ounce then to contact right away, but small amounts is ok. My daughter goes through these spells quite often, especially if she is having a flare up or coming down with something. Monitor it until you can contact someone. I feel for you, I know how scary it is!

badcheesemomma

Hi there. Its nothing to be alarmed about (although much easier said than done). Its hemoptis, and its not unusual. Do they have an on call pulmonologist you could talk to? I would notifiy them as soon as you can. They say if its more than a few teaspoons to an ounce then to contact right away, but small amounts is ok. My daughter goes through these spells quite often, especially if she is having a flare up or coming down with something. Monitor it until you can contact someone. I feel for you, I know how scary it is!

badcheesemomma

hmw

It's not unusual in CF, but if it's the FIRST time it's happened, his doctors should know about it. It's important to take this into consideration with other factors (how is he doing otherwise?) as well as how much blood- was it streaking in mucus, or bright, fresh blood, and how much? They might want him checked out to see if he's developing an infection, started on abx, or have you change what treatments you do for a little while. I'd talk to the on-call if I were you.

hmw

It's not unusual in CF, but if it's the FIRST time it's happened, his doctors should know about it. It's important to take this into consideration with other factors (how is he doing otherwise?) as well as how much blood- was it streaking in mucus, or bright, fresh blood, and how much? They might want him checked out to see if he's developing an infection, started on abx, or have you change what treatments you do for a little while. I'd talk to the on-call if I were you.

hmw

peter

Of course there isn't really good rationale for hospitals to be "closed" on week ends. Just tradition to be a 5 day work week. Perhaps 24/7 will find it's way into it so we can be sick any time and have that option. Good luck.

peter

Of course there isn't really good rationale for hospitals to be "closed" on week ends. Just tradition to be a 5 day work week. Perhaps 24/7 will find it's way into it so we can be sick any time and have that option. Good luck.

peter

PatrickM

Hi,

This same thing just happened to my 13 year old son a few weeks ago, on a Saturday of course. He coughed up probably only a teaspoon or so of bright red blood but it was scary as it had never happened before. We ended up calling the pulmonologist on call who told us to bring him in to the ER so they could check him out. They ended up admitting him until Monday, I think mainly to give him a jump start on an iv med and then they switched it to oral antibiotics. They thought he might have the beginning of an infection. Generally he has not exhibited much in the way of lung disease yet, he has more of the CF liver and sinus disease . I also got on this site and when I realized how common it is for CF'ers to cough blood I was slightly less concerned, I guess I felt like OK this has happened to other people. It is very scary though and if you haven't called anyone today on the holiday I would definitely give the clinic a call tomorrow to let them know. If he hasn't coughed any more blood and if it was only a small amount you are probably ok waiting till tomorrow if you feel comfortable with that. For my son he didn't have any other symptoms, no fever or anything, he did have a cough but I had been complaining about that for quite some time.

Tara

PatrickM

Hi,

This same thing just happened to my 13 year old son a few weeks ago, on a Saturday of course. He coughed up probably only a teaspoon or so of bright red blood but it was scary as it had never happened before. We ended up calling the pulmonologist on call who told us to bring him in to the ER so they could check him out. They ended up admitting him until Monday, I think mainly to give him a jump start on an iv med and then they switched it to oral antibiotics. They thought he might have the beginning of an infection. Generally he has not exhibited much in the way of lung disease yet, he has more of the CF liver and sinus disease . I also got on this site and when I realized how common it is for CF'ers to cough blood I was slightly less concerned, I guess I felt like OK this has happened to other people. It is very scary though and if you haven't called anyone today on the holiday I would definitely give the clinic a call tomorrow to let them know. If he hasn't coughed any more blood and if it was only a small amount you are probably ok waiting till tomorrow if you feel comfortable with that. For my son he didn't have any other symptoms, no fever or anything, he did have a cough but I had been complaining about that for quite some time.

Tara

PatrickM

Hi,
<br />
<br />This same thing just happened to my 13 year old son a few weeks ago, on a Saturday of course. He coughed up probably only a teaspoon or so of bright red blood but it was scary as it had never happened before. We ended up calling the pulmonologist on call who told us to bring him in to the ER so they could check him out. They ended up admitting him until Monday, I think mainly to give him a jump start on an iv med and then they switched it to oral antibiotics. They thought he might have the beginning of an infection. Generally he has not exhibited much in the way of lung disease yet, he has more of the CF liver and sinus disease . I also got on this site and when I realized how common it is for CF'ers to cough blood I was slightly less concerned, I guess I felt like OK this has happened to other people. It is very scary though and if you haven't called anyone today on the holiday I would definitely give the clinic a call tomorrow to let them know. If he hasn't coughed any more blood and if it was only a small amount you are probably ok waiting till tomorrow if you feel comfortable with that. For my son he didn't have any other symptoms, no fever or anything, he did have a cough but I had been complaining about that for quite some time.
<br />
<br />Tara

Carrie101

Thanks to everyone!
I did finally speak to the nurse this morning, she told me it was nothing to worry about. We're going to clinic on Wednesday, so she told me just to remind them about it when we are there.
I think I'm going to have to ask if there's anyone I can talk to on weekends/holidays when I have my mommy panic moments!
Thanks again!

Carrie101

Thanks to everyone!
I did finally speak to the nurse this morning, she told me it was nothing to worry about. We're going to clinic on Wednesday, so she told me just to remind them about it when we are there.
I think I'm going to have to ask if there's anyone I can talk to on weekends/holidays when I have my mommy panic moments!
Thanks again!

Carrie101

Thanks to everyone!
<br />I did finally speak to the nurse this morning, she told me it was nothing to worry about. We're going to clinic on Wednesday, so she told me just to remind them about it when we are there.
<br />I think I'm going to have to ask if there's anyone I can talk to on weekends/holidays when I have my mommy panic moments!
<br />Thanks again!

mag6125

I know at our center one of the docs is always on call and if we need to get a hold of them on the weekend or after hours we can call the hospital and have them paged.

mag6125

I know at our center one of the docs is always on call and if we need to get a hold of them on the weekend or after hours we can call the hospital and have them paged.