cpt on a 10 month old....help

Bella's-mom

Wondering if anyone has tips and tricks for cpt on an active 10 month old. She won't sit still, hates her nebulizers and screams bloody murder.....help.

CyrilCrodius

She will get used to it. Try when she's tried? She might fall asleep while you're doing it. I know that the only thing to calm me down in the first days of doing it was for my grand-mother to sing to me during the CPT. So try having something that calms her down or keeps her distracted, like TV or a movie she likes.
Are you sure your technique is okay? Because if it's not, it will definitely hurt.
In the worst case, I guess that not sitting still and screaming bloody murder at least helps getting the mucus loose...

S

sweetpeasmmy

Does she get an inhaler before hand? My daughter is only 11 weeks and hates hers too. She has an inhaler with xopenex that she gets twice a day before cpt. I found that doing it about 10 minutes after a feeding is usually the best time because she's in a "milk coma" (as I like to call it) and more calm. Its a 50/50 shot whether she's going to take it well or scream and kick but I have found more success after feeding then by just doing it. Good luck!!

Bella's-mom

She gets nebulizer treatments of ventolin, pulmocort and pulmozyme. She sometimes falls asleep to the nebs but wakes immediately when cpt is started.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We were fortunate in that DS would fall asleep or sleep thru CPT and nebs; however, there were times he'd scream and we'd power through it. I'd sing at the top of my lungs. Make up silly songs.

When he got a little older we could distract him with Barney (ugh) or Elmo dvds. Once during the 4th of July Holiday we had an entire room full of cousins and their friends singing Old McDonald to keep him distracted because he didn't want to have a thing to with it.

Unfortunately it's gotta be done to keep their lungs happy and healthy. Friend of mine's kid wasn't diagnosed until 18 months and they struggled with CPT until they were able to get the vest at age 2. Nowdays I believe if they're big enough they can get the vest sooner.