Curcumin

rnordlnd

I've noticed in my web search for supplements that many sites say this spice (common in Indian cooking) has some benifit in CF patients.
Has anyone tried this?

Do you think this spice would carry over into breastmilk?

rnordlnd

I've noticed in my web search for supplements that many sites say this spice (common in Indian cooking) has some benifit in CF patients.
Has anyone tried this?

rnordlnd

Has anyone tried this?

rnordlnd

Has anyone tried this?

rnordlnd

Has anyone tried this?

Gnome

I myself buy the Turmeric suppliement from a health food store and I breastfeed. I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I know a lot of things carry over into the breastmilk and it wouldn't surprise me if this did too.

Gnome

I myself buy the Turmeric suppliement from a health food store and I breastfeed. I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I know a lot of things carry over into the breastmilk and it wouldn't surprise me if this did too.

Gnome

Gnome

Gnome

mamaj

I have read that the medicinal qualities don't kick in unless it is cooked for at least five minutes first... I have no idea if this applies to what they put in the supplements or not, or just to the spice would have at home (tumeric).

mamaj

I have read that the medicinal qualities don't kick in unless it is cooked for at least five minutes first... I have no idea if this applies to what they put in the supplements or not, or just to the spice would have at home (tumeric).

mamaj

mamaj

mamaj

mjflowergirl

I've been giving my son Turmeric root (contains curcuminoids) for about a month now. Curcumin was proven effective in reducing or eliminating the digestive problems with CF at a cellular level in mice. Not humans. Unfortunately, they are not able to re-create the lung problems in mice so they can't see the effects from that aspect. As far as how it's going with Aiden, I have seen some changes in bowel consistency (ewwww...) meaning more solid, as if CF children EVER have a solid BM... but you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, I found research online the other day that they were unable to re-create the benefits from curcumin in humans during the study. Oh well, it doesn't hurt him.

I will give you a BIG warning here if you're going to give it a shot. Curcumin/Turmeric is VERY yellow. Think AquADEK vibrant, but yellow instead of Orange. It WILL stain clothing. And it does NOT taste very good. To children anyways. It has a VERY strong, pungeant flavor that is really be an eye-popper to children. Now, I give it to him by cutting the tip off the capsule and squeezing it into applesauce and then trying to get it all down in one bite. But, he's way too young to be swallowing capsules (only 17 months) so I have no choice. Once they are old enough to swallow caps, there shouldn't be any issue with overwhelming flavor.

Email me if you want to chat more! I LOVE discussing options and ideas outside of the norm. mj_flowergirl@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Misty

mjflowergirl

I've been giving my son Turmeric root (contains curcuminoids) for about a month now. Curcumin was proven effective in reducing or eliminating the digestive problems with CF at a cellular level in mice. Not humans. Unfortunately, they are not able to re-create the lung problems in mice so they can't see the effects from that aspect. As far as how it's going with Aiden, I have seen some changes in bowel consistency (ewwww...) meaning more solid, as if CF children EVER have a solid BM... but you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, I found research online the other day that they were unable to re-create the benefits from curcumin in humans during the study. Oh well, it doesn't hurt him.

I will give you a BIG warning here if you're going to give it a shot. Curcumin/Turmeric is VERY yellow. Think AquADEK vibrant, but yellow instead of Orange. It WILL stain clothing. And it does NOT taste very good. To children anyways. It has a VERY strong, pungeant flavor that is really be an eye-popper to children. Now, I give it to him by cutting the tip off the capsule and squeezing it into applesauce and then trying to get it all down in one bite. But, he's way too young to be swallowing capsules (only 17 months) so I have no choice. Once they are old enough to swallow caps, there shouldn't be any issue with overwhelming flavor.

Email me if you want to chat more! I LOVE discussing options and ideas outside of the norm. mj_flowergirl@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Misty

mjflowergirl

Good luck!

Misty

mjflowergirl

Good luck!

Misty

mjflowergirl

<br />
<br />Unfortunately, I found research online the other day that they were unable to re-create the benefits from curcumin in humans during the study. Oh well, it doesn't hurt him.
<br />
<br />I will give you a BIG warning here if you're going to give it a shot. Curcumin/Turmeric is VERY yellow. Think AquADEK vibrant, but yellow instead of Orange. It WILL stain clothing. And it does NOT taste very good. To children anyways. It has a VERY strong, pungeant flavor that is really be an eye-popper to children. Now, I give it to him by cutting the tip off the capsule and squeezing it into applesauce and then trying to get it all down in one bite. But, he's way too young to be swallowing capsules (only 17 months) so I have no choice. Once they are old enough to swallow caps, there shouldn't be any issue with overwhelming flavor.
<br />
<br />Email me if you want to chat more! I LOVE discussing options and ideas outside of the norm. mj_flowergirl@yahoo.com
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />
<br />Misty