Cystic Fibrosis: Charity and Industry Partner for Profit - article from medpage today

triples15

Super Moderator
Very interesting read, thanks for posting!

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole subject.......On one hand I'm glad the CFF is profiting because they can turn around and put money back into research. On the other side of the coin, I also wish that Kalydeco was more affordable, and wonder about the CFF turning a profit. Overall though, I think it's a good thing that the CFF is pioneering new ways to get research companies to work on drugs for CF. We've been overlooked for so long due to our small population, without the CFF's work these new (VERY exciting) drugs would not be in the pipeline and Kalydeco would not have came to market. On the flip side though, if they are so expensive that very few can afford them, then it makes you wonder. Like I said, complex issue and now I'm confusing myself, so I'll sign off here... :)

Take CAre,

Autumn 32 w/CF

Imogene

Administrator
bookworm: Thanks for posting. These are hard questions but I know what I believe....that patients should be in the financial loop too if there are large profits to be made from their participation i.e. DNA/mutations.
Patients have the most to gain in this research and development...healthwise.
But so many members of the community need help financially as well as physically.
I hope the way of the future of biotech and pharma brings justice and win win for all!