things.  She was given some albuterol back in March, and it
was great.  Well, she has the worst cough and wheezing that
she's had so far, and so on Fri her gen peds dr (CF doctor is out
of town) gave her an antibiotic and told me do administer the
albuterol again.  <br>
<br>
I've tried multiple times today, and all my daughter does is scream
bloody murder and turn her head.  I can't get the mechanism
"sealed" on her face long enough (at all) to do any good.
 Is there something else they can use for her or am I just out
of luck?  And since her cough and wheezing are still in fairly
beginning stages is it something I should wait until Mon to call
about or should I page my CF doctor beforehand?  While I don't
like the sounds she's making, she is by no means in respiratory
distress.<br>
<br>
Any input would be very helpful, as this is all very new ground for
me.  Thank you!

aliciagwen

My 10 month CF daughter hasn't been very sick so far, which has
prevented us from dealing with much with the respiratory side of
albuterol again.  <br>
<br>
distress.<br>
<br>
me.  Thank you!

aliciagwen

My 10 month CF daughter hasn't been very sick so far, which has
prevented us from dealing with much with the respiratory side of
albuterol again.  <br>
<br>
distress.<br>
<br>
me.  Thank you!

lightNlife

Do you have another mask or mechanism that you could put on your face to show that you're doing the same thing (sort of) that she is? It might help ease her fear and feel less like she's being attacked by the apparatus.

lightNlife

Do you have another mask or mechanism that you could put on your face to show that you're doing the same thing (sort of) that she is? It might help ease her fear and feel less like she's being attacked by the apparatus.

lightNlife

L

luke

Alicia,

I am assuming by your using the term "mechanism" she is taking an inhaler with a spacer? If that is the case you most likely will need a neb machine. If you do have a neb machine and the "mechanism" is the mask there is an easier way to deliver the medicine. Take off the mask and put the mouthpiece back on it. Cover the mouthpiece portion with your thumb, this will force all the medicine out the other side. Just hold the mist near her face so she can breathe it in. The other "easy option" is do administer the medicine while she is asleep.

hope this helps.

Luke

L

luke

Alicia,

I am assuming by your using the term "mechanism" she is taking an inhaler with a spacer? If that is the case you most likely will need a neb machine. If you do have a neb machine and the "mechanism" is the mask there is an easier way to deliver the medicine. Take off the mask and put the mouthpiece back on it. Cover the mouthpiece portion with your thumb, this will force all the medicine out the other side. Just hold the mist near her face so she can breathe it in. The other "easy option" is do administer the medicine while she is asleep.

hope this helps.

Luke

L

luke

Alicia,

hope this helps.

Luke

anonymous

My little cfer is just a month older than yours. We use albuterol at least twice daily (usually the mdi with the spacer, but nebulized when she has a cold or the cough sounds worse). She doesn't resist too much anymore because she's just so used to it! But, there are times when she just really doesn't want to sit for her treatments. One thing that helps is to let her play with the mask. I take it off the spacer or the neb cup and hand it to her right before a treatment. She chews on it and turns it around in her hands, then drops it when it isn't interesting anymore. Then I put it on her face and we're ready to go! Hope it works!

P.S. I had to chuckle at Samantha's birthdate. That was Emily's due date but she came early! Guess the day was destined to have a CFer born on it, anyway. PM me if you want to chat about our girls!

Tami (Izemmom, not logged in)

mom to Emily bor 11.2.05 w/cf

anonymous

My little cfer is just a month older than yours. We use albuterol at least twice daily (usually the mdi with the spacer, but nebulized when she has a cold or the cough sounds worse). She doesn't resist too much anymore because she's just so used to it! But, there are times when she just really doesn't want to sit for her treatments. One thing that helps is to let her play with the mask. I take it off the spacer or the neb cup and hand it to her right before a treatment. She chews on it and turns it around in her hands, then drops it when it isn't interesting anymore. Then I put it on her face and we're ready to go! Hope it works!

P.S. I had to chuckle at Samantha's birthdate. That was Emily's due date but she came early! Guess the day was destined to have a CFer born on it, anyway. PM me if you want to chat about our girls!

anonymous

anonymous

Forgot to add - when in doubt...page the cf docs. Ours are really understanding and encourage calls for everything. OF course, on weekends we sometimes get the "Pulmonologist on call" and they don't always "get it" when it comes to handling pediatric cf concerns, but call anyway, I say.

Tami

anonymous

Forgot to add - when in doubt...page the cf docs. Ours are really understanding and encourage calls for everything. OF course, on weekends we sometimes get the "Pulmonologist on call" and they don't always "get it" when it comes to handling pediatric cf concerns, but call anyway, I say.

Tami

anonymous

Tami

anonymous

Get a nebulizer.........
That way you can let her sit on your lap and cuddle during treatments, watch videos or whatever. That's what I did with my boys when they werre younger. Joshu's doctors still prefer the nebulizer to the spacer and mdi when he is having problems. We only use the spacer at school or in a real rush.

Also I had a nurse tell me onece that if they cry while using the nebulizer the medicine gets in a little deeper. Wait....don't make her cry, just the cring that sometimes goes with resisting the medicine.

Dolline
loving mother to Josh (12) with CF

anonymous

Get a nebulizer.........
That way you can let her sit on your lap and cuddle during treatments, watch videos or whatever. That's what I did with my boys when they werre younger. Joshu's doctors still prefer the nebulizer to the spacer and mdi when he is having problems. We only use the spacer at school or in a real rush.

Also I had a nurse tell me onece that if they cry while using the nebulizer the medicine gets in a little deeper. Wait....don't make her cry, just the cring that sometimes goes with resisting the medicine.

Dolline

anonymous

Get a nebulizer.........

Dolline

anonymous

Same goes for us. The spacer does not seem to work when my kids are congested. We use the nebulizer during those times.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

anonymous

Same goes for us. The spacer does not seem to work when my kids are congested. We use the nebulizer during those times.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf