day care

W

woosky

when my baby was born, almost 6 months ago, I quited my job coz I believe day care is not a good choice to a newborn w/ CF. But I know that sonner or later I will have no choice and go to look for a new job coz my husband doesn't make enough money at all to the 3 of us...but I would never risk my baby's health...so I would like to know what is the "good" age to him to go to daycare...I thought it would be around 2.....well....waiting for answers

anonymous

My daughter has been in daycare since she was 8 weeks old. I am not saying it is the best option but it is the only option for us. I would suggest finding a child care facility where there is maybe not a lot of children maybe 1 or 2 because anytime you go beyond that you are always risking some sort of infection no matter what age. When your child goes to school the same thing is going to occur they are going to be exposed to anything in the air. Yes, we have to watch out for our special angels but you take them to the store or to visit relatives and in those situations you run the same risk of infection of some form as being at a daycare. My daughter has been fairly healthy she goes to the hospital for a "visit" about every 6 months with pnemonia or exacberation but other than that nothin major yet. I think the key to a daycare enviroment is you feeling comfortable enough with the workers or care givers that they will administar meds right and that they will call if your child seems to not be feeling well. No matter what age it is always a risk for our special children. You said that you can't afford to stay at home much longer with your child have you ever asked your social worker or county welfare office about "Crippled Children's " insurance , it is a form of medicaid that you have to qualify both medicaly and financially? It has been a life saver for us!!! I hope this has helped a little.

anonymous

We did not want to put our daughter in day care either when she was diagnosed. To ease the financial pressure I decided to return part-time. My husband works days and I work evenings for a couple of hours, so that one of us is always home. It is tough to get used to but we feel this is the best solution for us. We've been doing this for 3 yrs and it has really worked for us. Half a salary is better than nothing and it isn't forever. Besides we save on the cost of daycare. Our dr said it was important to keep her healthy for as long as possible before registering her for school. They did recommended a minimum of 2 years without daycare but we chose to make it 4 and then register her part-time only in day care. At 5 she will start school and hopefully our efforts will have paid off. Bottom line is that you have to do what is best for your child and your family. Another option may be to look into someone taking care of her in your home or with just one other child.Good luck, I know it is a tough decision.

anonymous

tahnks for the answers...I've nevewr thought about a daycare w/ few kids...now, for sure I will consider it before choose one to my baby....but I will wait some years for sure.val