Do Air Filters Work?

annieop86

I have been looking into investing in an air filter. I have been told the Bionair HEPA tower is the best. Do you know if they really work? Does anyone use them and if so have you noticed any improvement? Do you think it's worth the investment?

annieop86

I have been looking into investing in an air filter. I have been told the Bionair HEPA tower is the best. Do you know if they really work? Does anyone use them and if so have you noticed any improvement? Do you think it's worth the investment?

annieop86

annieop86

annieop86

Kristen

I studied indoor air quality in graduate school, and this is what my advisor told me about them - They can work, you just have to make sure you get one that moves enough air for the room you want to put it in. I think most say on the box what size rooms they will work for. Just make sure you don't get an ionic one, because they produce ozone, and the ozone guards don't work well.

With that said, we have a Honeywell one with a carbon and HEPA filter. I've noticed the carbon filter works well to get rid of irritating odors (paint fumes, etc), but I haven't noticed that it helps with allergies. But I still use it every night because I like the white noise (it is loud!).

Kristen

I studied indoor air quality in graduate school, and this is what my advisor told me about them - They can work, you just have to make sure you get one that moves enough air for the room you want to put it in. I think most say on the box what size rooms they will work for. Just make sure you don't get an ionic one, because they produce ozone, and the ozone guards don't work well.

With that said, we have a Honeywell one with a carbon and HEPA filter. I've noticed the carbon filter works well to get rid of irritating odors (paint fumes, etc), but I haven't noticed that it helps with allergies. But I still use it every night because I like the white noise (it is loud!).

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

<br />
<br />With that said, we have a Honeywell one with a carbon and HEPA filter. I've noticed the carbon filter works well to get rid of irritating odors (paint fumes, etc), but I haven't noticed that it helps with allergies. But I still use it every night because I like the white noise (it is loud!).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We have a something similar to Kristen's -- it's a whirlpool whispersure with the carbon prefilter and hepa filter. I could really tell a difference in DS's room. It smelled fresh, like fresh air when we started using it. A relative bought it for us shortly after DS was diagnosed. At the time it was one of the top rated machines.

They'd looked at one of those sharper image ionic ones with the washable filter and found that unless you were right up next to it, it didn't do much for improving air quality. Plus the whole issue with it emitting ozone...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We have a something similar to Kristen's -- it's a whirlpool whispersure with the carbon prefilter and hepa filter. I could really tell a difference in DS's room. It smelled fresh, like fresh air when we started using it. A relative bought it for us shortly after DS was diagnosed. At the time it was one of the top rated machines.

They'd looked at one of those sharper image ionic ones with the washable filter and found that unless you were right up next to it, it didn't do much for improving air quality. Plus the whole issue with it emitting ozone...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />They'd looked at one of those sharper image ionic ones with the washable filter and found that unless you were right up next to it, it didn't do much for improving air quality. Plus the whole issue with it emitting ozone...

P

PeteRose

I have 3 of the Oreck air filters and I swear by them. I can tell the difference if they have been turned off for any reason. They are WONDERFUL.

Rosie 47 w/CF

P

PeteRose

I have 3 of the Oreck air filters and I swear by them. I can tell the difference if they have been turned off for any reason. They are WONDERFUL.

Rosie 47 w/CF

P

PeteRose

Rosie 47 w/CF

P

PeteRose

Rosie 47 w/CF

P

PeteRose

<br />
<br />Rosie 47 w/CF