Do I have CF?

anonymous

When I was younger I used to have strep throat over and over and over again. Now at 16 I have been diagnosed with asthma and allergies. My nose is constantly stuffed and I cough up mucus about once every few hours. I feel like my throat is clogged with mucus and sometimes it makes things hard to breathe, or makes me feel sick. My parents say that it's just my allergies. Is this why I am coughing up so much mucus?

anonymous

I don't know that your symptoms point to cf, but it's good that your trying to figure out your health. The mucus you have could be draining from your nose/sinsuses, and the cough can be related to that as well. I have a lot of problems with nasal polyups that make it hard for me to breathe through my nose and cause a lot of drainage at the back of my throat. Do you have any problems with weight gain or a lot of loose stools? This often goes hand in hand with the lung problems of a cfer.

If you are able too, I would say have the test done. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind. Best of luck!

Barb 33 w/cf

Catherine

This is the original poster, I do not have problems with weight gain or loss or the stool issue. There are also, as far as I know, no issues with CF in my family. I am planning on a visit to my doctor soon to get this sorted out. Thanks for the posts.

Emily65Roses

I don't know that you have CF or not either. But it's a good idea that you're going to try and sort it out... because no family history doesn't mean much. A lot of us are the first and/or only CFers in our families. I'm the first and only, and my mom was one of 6 kids, so I've got like 12 aunts and uncles, and 13 cousins. Also, at least 4 of my cousins have their own kids, and CF has not yet popped up again.