e.coli in infant's sputum

bubbleville

<DIV id=post_message_4821173>Has anybody had it? How dangerous is it for the lungs and what are the possible complications? We're new at this... Shall we give our 3 month old antibiotics?Our dr says it's not the most "popular" bacteria in CF and they are not sure how it affects the lungs. Also, from their experience with other patients they admit that on multiple occasions bacteria came back shortly afetr antibiotics. We're thus very hesitant... Please advice if you had it! </DIV>

bubbleville

<DIV id=post_message_4821173>Has anybody had it? How dangerous is it for the lungs and what are the possible complications? We're new at this... Shall we give our 3 month old antibiotics?Our dr says it's not the most "popular" bacteria in CF and they are not sure how it affects the lungs. Also, from their experience with other patients they admit that on multiple occasions bacteria came back shortly afetr antibiotics. We're thus very hesitant... Please advice if you had it! </DIV>

bubbleville

<DIV id=post_message_4821173>Has anybody had it? How dangerous is it for the lungs and what are the possible complications? We're new at this... Shall we give our 3 month old antibiotics?<BR><BR>Our dr says it's not the most "popular" bacteria in CF and they are not sure how it affects the lungs. Also, from their experience with other patients they admit that on multiple occasions bacteria came back shortly afetr antibiotics. We're thus very hesitant... Please advice if you had it! </DIV><BR>

hmw

Does your baby have reflux? It would be expected to find this bug in the gi tract, but it doesn't belong in the lungs. When this or other gi-specific bugs are found in the lungs, it can be a good idea to investigate the possibility of reflux, since that can cause problems with the lungs (aspiration, irritation to lung tissue causing inflammation, etc.) There are several meds that can help a great deal if that is the case.

Otherwise, you will often find 'mixed reviews' on this and many other bugs- some clinics treat them, others leave them alone unless they are causing obvious problems. We haven't cultured that one so can't offer personal experience. However, your team is very correct in that bugs DO often 'come back' after treating with antibiotics- more often, it's because the drugs don't really eradicate them, just beat down the numbers to a lower/undetectable level and they grow back over time. When our kids do get sick, they tend to need a longer course of antibiotics than a child w/o CF would need, but in order to avoid drug resistance, many drs will avoid treating these bugs when the child is doing well. That is the stance we take with what my child cultures.

hmw

Does your baby have reflux? It would be expected to find this bug in the gi tract, but it doesn't belong in the lungs. When this or other gi-specific bugs are found in the lungs, it can be a good idea to investigate the possibility of reflux, since that can cause problems with the lungs (aspiration, irritation to lung tissue causing inflammation, etc.) There are several meds that can help a great deal if that is the case.

Otherwise, you will often find 'mixed reviews' on this and many other bugs- some clinics treat them, others leave them alone unless they are causing obvious problems. We haven't cultured that one so can't offer personal experience. However, your team is very correct in that bugs DO often 'come back' after treating with antibiotics- more often, it's because the drugs don't really eradicate them, just beat down the numbers to a lower/undetectable level and they grow back over time. When our kids do get sick, they tend to need a longer course of antibiotics than a child w/o CF would need, but in order to avoid drug resistance, many drs will avoid treating these bugs when the child is doing well. That is the stance we take with what my child cultures.

hmw

<br />
<br />Otherwise, you will often find 'mixed reviews' on this and many other bugs- some clinics treat them, others leave them alone unless they are causing obvious problems. We haven't cultured that one so can't offer personal experience. However, your team is very correct in that bugs DO often 'come back' after treating with antibiotics- more often, it's because the drugs don't really eradicate them, just beat down the numbers to a lower/undetectable level and they grow back over time. When our kids do get sick, they tend to need a longer course of antibiotics than a child w/o CF would need, but in order to avoid drug resistance, many drs will avoid treating these bugs when the child is doing well. That is the stance we take with what my child cultures.

S

sdelorenzo

My son cultured e. coli on and off for his first five years. His doctor did not treat it unless my son had a respiratory infection. I have heard of a number of young children with cf through the years that have cultured e.coli. It is just not as common as Staph, Pseudomonas, etc.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 10 and Jack, 7 both with CF, Grant, 2 and Paige, 10 months no cf

S

sdelorenzo

My son cultured e. coli on and off for his first five years. His doctor did not treat it unless my son had a respiratory infection. I have heard of a number of young children with cf through the years that have cultured e.coli. It is just not as common as Staph, Pseudomonas, etc.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 10 and Jack, 7 both with CF, Grant, 2 and Paige, 10 months no cf

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 10 and Jack, 7 both with CF, Grant, 2 and Paige, 10 months no cf

bubbleville

Thank you both for your replies! I'm not sure about the reflux... She does vomit on rare occassion...

Our dr did mention she's the "aggressive" type. I think we will hold on antibiotics... Do you think it's possible that the bug can go on its own? She seems to be doing so wel...

bubbleville

Thank you both for your replies! I'm not sure about the reflux... She does vomit on rare occassion...

Our dr did mention she's the "aggressive" type. I think we will hold on antibiotics... Do you think it's possible that the bug can go on its own? She seems to be doing so wel...

bubbleville

<br />
<br />Our dr did mention she's the "aggressive" type. I think we will hold on antibiotics... Do you think it's possible that the bug can go on its own? She seems to be doing so wel...

hmw

Yes, bugs like this can come and go.

Without illness I agree with your choice not to want to treat. I am just a parent like you, not a medical professional, but if your dr is in agreement here, I support this choice- our clinic does not treat everything unless it's causing a problem.

I would, however, ask about reflux. All babies spit up or vomit on occasion, but the dr can have a more informed discussion with you about this particular issue.

hmw

Without illness I agree with your choice not to want to treat. I am just a parent like you, not a medical professional, but if your dr is in agreement here, I support this choice- our clinic does not treat everything unless it's causing a problem.

I would, however, ask about reflux. All babies spit up or vomit on occasion, but the dr can have a more informed discussion with you about this particular issue.

hmw

<br />
<br />Without illness I agree with your choice not to want to treat. I am just a parent like you, not a medical professional, but if your dr is in agreement here, I support this choice- our clinic does not treat everything unless it's causing a problem.
<br />
<br />I would, however, ask about reflux. All babies spit up or vomit on occasion, but the dr can have a more informed discussion with you about this particular issue.