Embolization & Port-a-cath

jaimers

Super Moderator
oh and for the picture! i uploaded the picture i wanted to PhotoBucket (photobucket.com) then on this website i clicked on the "profile" link on the blue bar at the top of this page then once your on that page there is a box at the bottom where you can enter text and you copy the img code (its labeled don't worry!) for whatever picture you want from photobucket--it will be under the picture with a couple other codes like html code, direct code, etc. but you want the img one. so you copy and paste that code into the text box on your profile and then click the "update profile" button at the bottom of the profile page and ta da! you should have a picture in your signature!

i hope that made sense! please let me or some other technologically savvy person here know if it doesn't work and someone please correct me if i'm wrong about the picture process!

jaimers

Super Moderator
oh and for the picture! i uploaded the picture i wanted to PhotoBucket (photobucket.com) then on this website i clicked on the "profile" link on the blue bar at the top of this page then once your on that page there is a box at the bottom where you can enter text and you copy the img code (its labeled don't worry!) for whatever picture you want from photobucket--it will be under the picture with a couple other codes like html code, direct code, etc. but you want the img one. so you copy and paste that code into the text box on your profile and then click the "update profile" button at the bottom of the profile page and ta da! you should have a picture in your signature!

i hope that made sense! please let me or some other technologically savvy person here know if it doesn't work and someone please correct me if i'm wrong about the picture process!

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />i hope that made sense! please let me or some other technologically savvy person here know if it doesn't work and someone please correct me if i'm wrong about the picture process!

PedsNP2007

KLeigh,

I have had a port for over 8 years and I love it. I would never revert back to getting peripheral IVs and waiting for PICC line to be placed. I've had my chest port for over 6 years and had an arm port for a couple years. The chest port allows me to access it by myself which is very helpful; with the arm port, I had to use a fellow nursing student to maintain sterility to hold down the port for me to put the needle in.

I also have had an embolization. I had a very bad bleed in 1997 and it saved my life. I don't remember being consented as I had just turned 18 and was not mentally competent; my parents were aware of the dangers. As I was going to die nonetheless without it, they signed for it. I was aware of my femoral artery being accessed. It hurt as I could not have any general sedation due to my respiratory status (I was very close to being on a ventilator). It hurt a little bit with a lot of WARM/HOT feeling as they inject the dye.

Make sure they check your KIDNEY function before they use contrast. If your kidney function is ok, make sure that you are either well-hydrated with IV fluids or that you drink plenty of water/gatorade/juice to flush your kidneys due to that kidney toxic contrast solution. If your kidney function is not ok, flushing your system with a IV normal saline bolus prior to the contrast is very helpful!

Good luck, PM if you have any other questions!!!

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

KLeigh,

I have had a port for over 8 years and I love it. I would never revert back to getting peripheral IVs and waiting for PICC line to be placed. I've had my chest port for over 6 years and had an arm port for a couple years. The chest port allows me to access it by myself which is very helpful; with the arm port, I had to use a fellow nursing student to maintain sterility to hold down the port for me to put the needle in.

I also have had an embolization. I had a very bad bleed in 1997 and it saved my life. I don't remember being consented as I had just turned 18 and was not mentally competent; my parents were aware of the dangers. As I was going to die nonetheless without it, they signed for it. I was aware of my femoral artery being accessed. It hurt as I could not have any general sedation due to my respiratory status (I was very close to being on a ventilator). It hurt a little bit with a lot of WARM/HOT feeling as they inject the dye.

Make sure they check your KIDNEY function before they use contrast. If your kidney function is ok, make sure that you are either well-hydrated with IV fluids or that you drink plenty of water/gatorade/juice to flush your kidneys due to that kidney toxic contrast solution. If your kidney function is not ok, flushing your system with a IV normal saline bolus prior to the contrast is very helpful!

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

KLeigh,

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

KLeigh,

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

KLeigh,
<br />
<br />I have had a port for over 8 years and I love it. I would never revert back to getting peripheral IVs and waiting for PICC line to be placed. I've had my chest port for over 6 years and had an arm port for a couple years. The chest port allows me to access it by myself which is very helpful; with the arm port, I had to use a fellow nursing student to maintain sterility to hold down the port for me to put the needle in.
<br />
<br />I also have had an embolization. I had a very bad bleed in 1997 and it saved my life. I don't remember being consented as I had just turned 18 and was not mentally competent; my parents were aware of the dangers. As I was going to die nonetheless without it, they signed for it. I was aware of my femoral artery being accessed. It hurt as I could not have any general sedation due to my respiratory status (I was very close to being on a ventilator). It hurt a little bit with a lot of WARM/HOT feeling as they inject the dye.
<br />
<br />Make sure they check your KIDNEY function before they use contrast. If your kidney function is ok, make sure that you are either well-hydrated with IV fluids or that you drink plenty of water/gatorade/juice to flush your kidneys due to that kidney toxic contrast solution. If your kidney function is not ok, flushing your system with a IV normal saline bolus prior to the contrast is very helpful!
<br />
<br />Good luck, PM if you have any other questions!!!
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />30 yo cf

KellRochelle

Ive had 3 embolization within the past 6 months ! They have not helped me at all. My last one was in Nov and a week later i was coughin up blood again. im goin back to the dr jan 23 ! im so nervous shes gunna try some sorta other procedure which involves me getting i.v meds

kell/17/ Cf from 5 mos.

KellRochelle

Ive had 3 embolization within the past 6 months ! They have not helped me at all. My last one was in Nov and a week later i was coughin up blood again. im goin back to the dr jan 23 ! im so nervous shes gunna try some sorta other procedure which involves me getting i.v meds

kell/17/ Cf from 5 mos.

KellRochelle

kell/17/ Cf from 5 mos.

KellRochelle

kell/17/ Cf from 5 mos.

KellRochelle

<br />
<br />kell/17/ Cf from 5 mos.